Kenwood HU (DDX-7015) Trouble

mopiko

Contributor
I've just installed a used DDX-7015. I have the SIRIUS tuner, iPod connector and navigation hooked up, works pretty cool.

Trouble is, the H/U would reset itself out of the blue. It first happened when I start the car after it parked overnight.

Then over this weekend, the H/U reset itself more often (the weather got hot), it reset when i was using my iPod. After I switched back to CD, it worked fine for the rest of the day.

This morning it happened again when I played my iPod, the difference is that the unit didn't reset itself until after an hour of driving.

I am starting to think that maybe I connected too many things to the same power source, but the funny thing is that my navigation didn't reset, only my H/U. Anybody got this problems with Kenwood H/U? Did I do something wrong when I installed it?

There are two power connections (usually red and yellow wires). One needs to be connected to constant +12v and the other needs to be connected to ignition +12v (only on when the car is). If you connected both to the ignition wire the unit would reset whenever the car was turned off. Sometimes head units have a battery to prevent this, if yours does the battery may be discharging and causing the reset to occur sporatically.

However, you said the unit is reseting itself while you are driving. That doesn't match the above symptoms. Perhaps you have a loose wire on your harness or perhaps the unit is damaged (you said it was used so we can't rule that out). Check all the wire connections...solder them if you can.

Also check the ground point. If you are using the ground in the factory harness then use a separate ground instead. bolt the head unit ground wire directly to a piece of metal inside the dash.

chuyler1 said:
There are two power connections (usually red and yellow wires). One needs to be connected to constant +12v and the other needs to be connected to ignition +12v (only on when the car is). If you connected both to the ignition wire the unit would reset whenever the car was turned off. Sometimes head units have a battery to prevent this, if yours does the battery may be discharging and causing the reset to occur sporatically.

However, you said the unit is reseting itself while you are driving. That doesn't match the above symptoms. Perhaps you have a loose wire on your harness or perhaps the unit is damaged (you said it was used so we can't rule that out). Check all the wire connections...solder them if you can.

Also check the ground point. If you are using the ground in the factory harness then use a separate ground instead. bolt the head unit ground wire directly to a piece of metal inside the dash.

Thanks very much, let me try re-ground it first, I'm not willing to send it out for repairs until I'm certain that it is indeed broken. hehe...:D

Back