K&N Typhoon cai Installed

yeah well it seems like you dont come that often then. Als is great, cactus petes wasnt that great though. Youknow if you come back into this area let me know we'll do a mini meet. lol

No, I don't get back as often as I would like to. I still have family in the area but they tend to like to come visit me because where I live has different things to do than the Green Mtns.

As for the CAI, I kind of wish I had just gone for the Sirius radio upgrade instead of the K&N. It would have cost around the same money and I would have been happier.

I did the CAI swap to improve the take-off on the 3. I was frustrated by the amount of effort that the car required to get rolling in 1st gear. I asked my dealer if there was a different map for the ECU but he said he could not remap it but suggested that the CAI was a good way to experiment without voiding the warranty. He suggested this because it's easy to bring the car back to stock if anything doesn't work properly.

i have heard such s*** about the K&N intake for our cars... i would strongly suggest the fugita, F2, or simota cai/sri (cause the carbon fiber is SEXAY!!)

where abouts you located in maine? i am in Bridgton and commute to westbrook everyday... (long ass commute)

The K&N is gone and I am back to stock. This whole situation has just frosted my b_lls.

I have to admit, after working on cars for many years, that this car is a pleasure to work on. I have found that plastic pop rivets with the screw heads are the easiest to take out of any other car I have seen. I dreaded taking them out because the heads always seem to shred and then I have to cut them out. However, these popped right out and I went on my merry way.

If I do anything, I am leaning towards the Simota CF SRI. It's drop dead sexy!

As for where in ME am I, it is more like Northern MA than Southern ME. I am just over the NH border. God bless tax free shopping.

Terrainpro said:
The K&N is gone and I am back to stock. This whole situation has just frosted my b_lls.

I have to admit, after working on cars for many years, that this car is a pleasure to work on. I have found that plastic pop rivets with the screw heads are the easiest to take out of any other car I have seen. I dreaded taking them out because the heads always seem to shred and then I have to cut them out. However, these popped right out and I went on my merry way.

If I do anything, I am leaning towards the Simota CF SRI. It's drop dead sexy!

As for where in ME am I, it is more like Northern MA than Southern ME. I am just over the NH border. God bless tax free shopping.
I have to say that I wasn't happy with my MS one at first, but after awhile I started to like it. Don't expect too much from any intake for our cars. You might want to talk with K&N about this...maybe they will even refund your money.

lol about tax free shopping i used to go over to north conway all the time to shop but now that there is a hannaford right in town its just to convienant even with paying taxes and bottle deposit

RHAGEL said:
I have to say that I wasn't happy with my MS one at first, but after awhile I started to like it. Don't expect too much from any intake for our cars. You might want to talk with K&N about this...maybe they will even refund your money.

I have been contemplating discussing this with K&N but I know that they won't refund my money. This is because, when I discovered that the filter could just fall off, I made an effort to tighten up the hose clamp around the filter enough to get me through another day. However, when I took the whole thing off and disassembled the SRI, I found that I had crushed one of the sides of the SRI tube. I know that when I mention this, they are going to read me the riot act about over-torqueing the hose clamp and that was the cause of "all of my problems. This is why I have not tried to resell the thing, because I truly have pushed the tube out of round and I am not going to try and pawn the tube off on anyone.

I should take a moment and send K&N a friendly email with some constructive criticism but I have not had the time to do so...

If I do send some feedback, I will share their response.

good stuff man... i just moved down here myself (fort myers) like 4 months ago..... the rain is no lie. i am glad to hear that you like the typhoon, as i will be getting one at some point down the line.... good luck

QBCERUS said:
I installed my new K&N Typhoon cai last weekend. The K&N Typhoon is a 2 pieces cold air intake and I replaced the rubber connector between the upper tube and the lower tube by a 2.5 AEM air bypass valve. Unfortunately I dont have any picture for you, I dont have a digital camera, but I can assure you that it fits very well together. I didnt have to do any modification to the parts, just bolt them on and it worked.

Now I have 2 levels of protection against hydro locking on my cai, the dry charger that K&N give with their intakes and the AEM air bypass valve if ever the entire filter gets submerged. Here in Florida it rains practically every day so it is important to have a good protection against hydro locking.

The Typhoon is very quiet, I had my intake resonator removed for 3 or 4 months before installing this cai and the OEM air box without resonator was a lot noisier than the Typhoon, I like it though. It is not a big change in performance, those of you who think that by changing the OEM intake for a cai will suddenly make the car fly will be disappointed, but the major difference is how the car react a low rpm and with the AC on. It doesnt struggle as much to gain speed in these conditions. The pull of the engine is a lot more constant than with the OEM air box.

Here is a link to an article about the AEM air bypass valve:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_aem_air_bypass_valve/index.html

racer x 3 said:
good stuff man... i just moved down here myself (fort myers) like 4 months ago..... the rain is no lie. i am glad to hear that you like the typhoon, as i will be getting one at some point down the line.... good luck

Buy the AEM 2.5" air bypass valve and instead of using what is in the K&N kit to connect the upper and lower pipe, use the AEM air bypass valve. It is one more safety feature against hydro locking if the whole filter gets submerged.

racer x 3 said:

Did you paint your calipers yourself, if yes how did you do it and what kind of paint did you use? Did you remove the whole calipers from the car (unhook the brake hose and all)?

QBCERUS said:
Did you paint your calipers yourself, if yes how did you do it and what kind of paint did you use? Did you remove the whole calipers from the car (unhook the brake hose and all)?

yeah i did it myself pretty easily.... its REALLY time consuming (although i am sure there is a more efficient way...)...

Duplicolor Caliper Paint kit- comes with sanding "block," paint can (non-spray), brush , stirrer, and prepaint cleaner....

...just put as many corners of the car off the ground as you safely can at one time; for me it was one side (two wheels) at a time with a couple floor jacks. its not necessary to remove dissassemble anything because you're using a brush: just remove the wheels. you sometimes end up in some wierd positions (maybe get a short friend you TRUST to help you) but its worth it. thats it! three moderate coats later, let it dry 18 hours, and your all set... there are full directions in the box. its really easy. just DO NOT paint any moving components and/or part you THINK would move or make contact with another moving part..... WD-40 and then rubbing alchohol will remove any drip from your rotors...

good luck man! to me, its really satisfying to take the time to paint them yourself and enjoy the result

So as a follow-up, I have been in contact with K&N and they are willing to replace my bent SRI tube for another one. I have been in contact with a member of their tech. services via email and telephone.

Once the tube arrives I am going to put it on the shelf until next spring. But all in all I am pleased with the response from K&N in regards to their product.

Back