Just test drove a MS6

evilmonkeyMSP

Scrotie McBoogerBalls
Contributor
:
'13 CWP MS3 & '16 Mazda6 GT
I test drove one today & I give it a 7. It felt really nice for being a big sedan but I just didnt really dig driving it. The "fun" factor just wasnt there. It puts you back in your seat at take off but after 4500 rpms the power just stops & planes off....My wife said she thought I had left off the gas but i never did...it just stops moving. The ride quality is nice tho. Didnt feel like a 3600 lb sedan in the turns. The clutch is crap IMHO. Unless you're giving it a decent amount of gas you'll stall it (not that I did)..the clutch almost has to "pop" to go forward, I dunno, hard to descripe.

All in all its a decent car, but I wouldnt waste $30k on one. The instant drop of power that is felt would drive me insane. Plus, after driving that & my MSP, it feels like my MSP pulls harder & has a better power band...Im not sating mine is faster but just has a faster feel.

Last edited:
lol, yeah...it just felt like a slug...I couldnt get into it. Now I know the clutch was probably that way because its a clutch for a high HP car but it just didnt feel like it had the HP to support it...

Sounds like you tested a unit that had the "powerloss" problem. It's possible that your dealer didn't put 91 or 93 octane in the tank.

evilmonkeyMSP said:
I test drove one today & I give it a 7. It felt really nice for being a big sedan but I just didnt really dig driving it. The "fun" factor just wasnt there. It puts you back in your seat at take off but after 4500 rpms the power just stops & planes off....My wife said she thought I had left off the gas but i never did...it just stops moving. The ride quality is nice tho. Didnt feel like a 3600 lb sedan in the turns. The clutch is crap IMHO. Unless you're giving it a decent amount of gas you'll stall it (not that I did)..the clutch almost has to "pop" to go forward, I dunno, hard to descripe.

All in all its a decent car, but I wouldnt waste $30k on one. The instant drop of power that is felt would drive me insane. Plus, after driving that & my MSP, it feels like my MSP pulls harder & has a better power band...Im not sating mine is faster but just has a faster feel.

I'll give you a ride in mine. NO powerloss here baby! You might just change your mind even...LOL!

R

What did you do to get rid of it? or is it the problem stated earlier in the thread? I just wouldnt be able to put up w/ it LOL

Are you sure you were in a speed 6..Sounds like the I4. lol... Mine takes off at all rpms. I will give ya a ride and you will have to pry yourself outta the trunk.. The dealer must not have put the right gas in at all... I agree bout the clutch, it takes getting used to but you do get the hang of it... If you think your MSP has a faster feel you were def. not driving the speed6. I had the MSP and it pales in comparison to the MS6. It may out handle it at t imes however the torque steer was horriffic..... Not to mention the MSO has way more HP.. The MSP's motor reved quicker than it would actually accelerate. DOn't get me wrong but I loves my MSP and it was great but hands down the MS 6 is more my cup of tea.

There have been several reports of the problem you described over on mazda6club. After some investigation, it is believed that an overly sensitive knock sensor causes the engine to go into "limp mode" which essentially disables most of the available boost pressure. Within the next month or so, Mazda reportedly is going to come up with a new ECU reflash that alters its sensitivity to the knock sensor signal.

FWIW, I have experienced this "powerloss" 3 times in 2500 miles. I have not been able to reliably reproduce the behavior, though, in order to explain this to my dealer. I hate getting the "could not reproduce" runaround.

Back