just installed : crossdrilled rotors and hawk pads

NJP5Guy said:
I agree they are wrong. i guess second guessing myself paid off this time

i just got off the phone with the guys i buoght them from ... he said its possible they put the wrong stamp on the rotors so i sent him the pics and he said for sure they are backwars ..... way to go ehh

Hey, well now you know. better now then after damage occurred. its a good thing you posted on here huh and so you nipped it in the bud. Have fun redoing the job :( . At least you know and knowing is half the battle.....YO JOE!!!!!! (others will know now too) (2thumbs)

haaswyk said:
well i just installed my brembo crossdrilled/sloted rotors and hawk hps pads ...
i gota say they stop like nothing i have ever had before ..

the only downside so far is the noise ... the pads are a bit louder then my old ...

pics to come tomorow when its light out

Are you sure these are true brembo rotors and not rip-offs. i found some brembos on ebay but when i looked at the brembo website they dont have anything listed for the 02-03 protege. makes me wonder because id really like to get brembos.

NJP5Guy said:
Are you sure these are true brembo rotors and not rip-offs. i found some brembos on ebay but when i looked at the brembo website they dont have anything listed for the 02-03 protege. makes me wonder because id really like to get brembos.
That P5 was a experimental vehicle to test out Brembo's Big Brake Kit.

Action Jackson said:
That P5 was a experimental vehicle to test out Brembo's Big Brake Kit.

so are the rotors on ebay true brembos. are there any other online retailors who sell the brembos for the P5?

NJP5Guy said:
so are the rotors on ebay true brembos. are there any other online retailors who sell the brembos for the P5?

ok these are not big breaks ... they are the same size as stock

second they are brembo rotors ... metalmasters buys brembo's and then machines them to be crossdrilled/slotted then has them coated ..... so yes they are the real deal

This is a great thread where other members helped each other out. Although now I own a Subie too, I still love this forum!!!

Not sure how the brembos/hawk sound, but when I installed slotted/dimpled discs and MM pads on my MR2 the first time I went out for a drive with them I was taken by surprise. I kept hearing this sound, a faint sort of buzz, kinda like those horseflies in the bushes. It took a couple of minutes to figure out what it was, then I put my windows down and confirmed the sound was from the rotors. You can really hear it loud when you brake next to a wall or in a tunnel. You don't hear it much when you're not braking. Its kinda cool but a little annoying.

Don't feel bad about the mix up with the rotors. I put all my s*** on and went for a ride and it was super noisy! I stepped back and the direction of the rotors just didn't look right. A friend at my work and I were looking at brakes for his car and notice the difference. Felt like a dumb ass to have to swapp them all around but it paid-off, car stops really good now. I had them on my car a day before I shipped it from Hawaii to L.A. and drove cross country to N.C. to break them in real good.

I just installed front hawk pads too. What a difference! Did anyone else that have the hawk pads have to brake of the metal clips on the back? And was i supposed to move the plates from the original back of the brake pads to the new hawk pads even though they had plates? Hopeing to save up for cross drilled and slotted rotors, but am reconsidering. The pads made a good difference will the rotors really make that much of a differene?

FLSilverP5 said:
I just installed front hawk pads too. What a difference! Did anyone else that have the hawk pads have to brake of the metal clips on the back? And was i supposed to move the plates from the original back of the brake pads to the new hawk pads even though they had plates? Hopeing to save up for cross drilled and slotted rotors, but am reconsidering. The pads made a good difference will the rotors really make that much of a differene?

the rotors are nice but honestly i think they are not nessisary ... and i have them ...

yes i had to take the clips off
i used the plates ...but i figured better safe then sorry

this whole brake thing is going to drive me insane. I put them on the "correct" way the first time, and they made hella noise, caused my pads to mess up, and generally made a mess. So I swapped them to the "incorrect" direction and now they stop great, no noise. What the hell....

HurricaneP5 said:
this whole brake thing is going to drive me insane. I put them on the "correct" way the first time, and they made hella noise, caused my pads to mess up, and generally made a mess. So I swapped them to the "incorrect" direction and now they stop great, no noise. What the hell....

you got your answer right there .... quiter stop's great ... go with that ... thats what im doing

Back