Just drove CX-5's most direct and latest US market competitor today

And that’s exactly what every manufacturer always thinks when it comes to this type of vehicles and then Mazda decided to try something different and put some fun into a market that was basically……boring. I never thought I would buy this type of vehicle and it took a couple of people saying the same thing over and over again “Finally, a compact crossover that appeals to the driving enthusiast." And a test drive to convince me this is not just another small boring SUV

Yes for most, but not Ford (with the 2013 Escape). Both the Escape and CX-5 appeal to me as a driving enthusiast and past owner of more serious drivers cars. I agree, Mazda has done an excellent job of engineering a vehicle that us enthusiasts can appreciate.

I would say comparable. I didnt get a good enough test drive in the Escape (and it was literally sold 20 minutes after we took our test drive, at sticker). I will say the Escape seems a little worse from a rigidity standpoint and steering feel.

The Mazda EPAS is literally one of the best Ive driven, other manufacturers should take note, this is how it should be done.

Did the Escape steering wheel seem easier to turn than your CX5? As in just the amount of force it took to turn the wheel? My wife's 2012 Focus's steering is very light and nimble. It takes very little pressure to turn the wheel. I love that. My CX5's wheel is a beast. It feels much heavier and harder to turn than hers. Plus, I don't know if you remember from your test drive or not, but in the Focus the steering wheel at 10 and 2 have these palm rests or something that feel great to hold. I don't know how else to describe them. It's how the wheel kind of bows out. It is flat on the front and backside and your palm rests easily against it. It's very comfortable. I haven't seen the wheel in the Escape yet so I was just curious if it is similar to the focus or not.

Did the Escape steering wheel seem easier to turn than your CX5? As in just the amount of force it took to turn the wheel? My wife's 2012 Focus's steering is very light and nimble. It takes very little pressure to turn the wheel. I love that. My CX5's wheel is a beast. It feels much heavier and harder to turn than hers. Plus, I don't know if you remember from your test drive or not, but in the Focus the steering wheel at 10 and 2 have these palm rests or something that feel great to hold. I don't know how else to describe them. It's how the wheel kind of bows out. It is flat on the front and backside and your palm rests easily against it. It's very comfortable. I haven't seen the wheel in the Escape yet so I was just curious if it is similar to the focus or not.

Very similiar, nicely weighted like a European car just slightly lighter. I don't find find either (Escape or CX-5) to be overly heavy steering, both are lighter than the Porsches and Mercedes owned past and present. I'm in decent shape.

Honestly, Im probably not the best person to judge steering effort based on the fact that my racecar has no power steering on slicks.

That said, the Escape feels lighter with less feedback. I was less than impressed with the contour of the wheel though.

So after lunch today, I’m walking back to my car and notice a weird looking SUV parked right next to me, a 2013 Ford Escape SEL. First time seeing one and the interesting thing is that it was also black like my CX5 (I wish that I could have taken a picture of both side by side). The front end was ok but then the side reminded me of a minivan and the rear just didn’t seem to go with the whole style of the car. And then I saw the interior, yikes, I know some people would like it but for me it was just way too much and what I mean by that is that somebody was just trying way too hard to come up with a “futuristic” design. I know that probably the engine is very good and I would believe that but overall the CX5, in my opinion, is still better plus I wouldn’t trade the interior of the CX5 vs. the one in the Escape.

I think the steering in the CX5 is pretty damn good for an electric unit (and so does every auto mag). Steering systems should have some weight to them; all of the good ones do. BMW, Porsche, Audi, ect. From what I've experienced, steering systems with little resistance, provides little to no feedback to the driver.

Last edited:
Back