Just curious about your guy's mileage

I have 64.5K on mine. Had the shifter fork break the first week I got it. It only had 60.5K miles on it then. I'm lovin it so much right now... Just fear the timing belt. How much fun is it to change?

02MazPro5 said:
I have 64.5K on mine. Had the shifter fork break the first week I got it. It only had 60.5K miles on it then. I'm lovin it so much right now... Just fear the timing belt. How much fun is it to change?

It's really not that bad, a lot of cars are worse. We have a noninterference engine so if you mess up the timing when replacing the belt, it won't break anything it'll just run like crap. The only b**** about it is that you have to remove the #3 (I think that's the number) engine mount to remove/replace the timing belt. When I was installing my intake cam I managed to do it without removing that mount but I'm at a little over 60k miles now so I need to go in there and replace the belt.

The only word of caution I have is be careful with the timing belt tensioner, you will stretch out the spring if you pull on it too much. Right now my car is running with a spring from an assorted spring pack from Lowes. I have the replacement spring and timing belt and valve cover gasket (should be replaced when doing the timing belt since you have to take that off anyway) but I just haven't had time with school.

I don't know if there is a timing belt how-to but there is a cam how-to and it goes through all the steps you need to get the timing belt off, the only difference is that you don't need to take the cam gears off to slide the belt off.

You need an impact wrench for the job too to get the bolt off the crank pulley.

You dont need an impact to get the crank bolt off. I know tricks LOL... I've heard they are non interferance and they are interferance engines.... I'm going to go with the safer route and say they are.... It's so hard to say they are or arent unless you know for sure.

But thanks for the info.

02MazPro5 said:
You dont need an impact to get the crank bolt off. I know tricks LOL...
But thanks for the info.

You mean cranking the engine with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt? That's always fun (eekdance)

WiL

RicesP5 said:
wow.. does it still smell new.. geeze mine has 63k

"I wish"... previous owner had a dog, so when I took it over it went through a full interior (weekend) cleanup...

But pretty much clean from there on...no interior damage what so ever; its kind of hard to come across a 02 like that. The only damage it has is some paint on the bumpers... But we'll be painting those once I get the front lip and blue fog lights this spring.

i rolled 54K last week!

will do the timing belt probably closer to 90K, maybe longer??????? if it breaks, will have car towed back to my place and i will replace it then!

02 p5 turbo'd

98,110 miles on it.

installed spool stage 2 turbo at 91,000 miles
bought kit used. Car is running excellent.

Will be having the timing belt done at 105,000 miles. Only mechanical problems I have is the drivers side door lock is broke. Got it used from Roni just waiting for it in the mail. When I do the timing belt I will be replaceing all belts and the water pump. That's is what I had to do when I had my dodge neon 3 years ago. The p5 is awesome by far the best car I have ever had. In my opinion the engine is a little noisy and not so bulletproff when turboing but it takes me to work and my girls to school. I can say this, when I don't drive it I miss driving it.

Last edited:
Opps...can't see my odo.

p5_dash1.jpg

I just passed 48,000, bye bye warranty...

the only problem I had is the VTCS delay valve started sticking (fixed under warranty), and tickets for improper lights, exhaust, tint, lack of front license plate, ect. ect...

altspace said:
Pics of odo?

Had to go out for a run... got your pic... (its Cold out man) thought I had 13k... actually its 14k...sorry about that...

Attachments

• IMG_0470 (2).JPG
    IMG_0470 (2).JPG
    178 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Really... I'm looking at digital cameras right now, and have it down to a Canon or a Casio. I'd love to know what that pic was shot with!
ChiMSP said:
thats a beautiful photo. What kind of camera are you using?

Back