Just bought, finance guy said the warranty will be void if i do the oil changes???

Good cop / bad cop routine. This sort of nonsense should've been left in the pre-internet days. This is bad dealer behavior - complain to Mazda corporate.

I talked to the dealer about this (this was 4 years ago) and that finance guy is gone.

I have heard that Mazda might be more willing to help with out of warranty stuff IF you had all your service done at a dealer during the warranty. Customer needed a new transmission. He was 2 months out of warranty, but since he had ALL work done at the dealer during that time, the dealership agreed to replace it at no charge. Take that with a grain of salt, of course, but I do trust the source.

Although the finance guy is flat out lying I would never deviate from my budget and my objects. Meaning I'd still have dealership oil changes (at least the first 3 years). I do this for a variety of reasons.

-To build rapport between myself and staff. This has gotten me little things like preferential treatment from other one-off customers, a bit more thorough inspections, free minor stuff and tips from the parts department guy.

-Warranty coverage tends to work more seamlessly when owner and dealership staff know one another and have even just a little bit of history together.

-Leverage. If you are not satisfied you can voice out you thoughts of taking your business to another dealership. Remember you're not just a customer of that location's services, you're their primary customer base for another new car. So after seeing you've been with them for servicing for some time, there's are real tangible incentive for them to rectify issues on your behalf.

Then after about 3-5 years or so I'll just do a lot of work on my own.

Whaaat? Sounds like you are defending this dirt bag. F&I guys are some of the best-paid employees in most dealerships, and their job is to up-sell you, on financing, warranties, paint protection, etc etc. All products with extremely high margins.
No, I wasn't trying to defend that finance guy but simply pointed out there're places doing that way. I myself had many issues with finance person at car dealers. Most of time they're lying to us and misguiding us with wrong information! I had at least 2 times having dealer redo the sales contract the next day due to finance guy's wrong doing when I reviewed the contract at home after the excitement of buying a new car. Funny thing is when I confronted the GM of that Honda dealer about finance guy lying to us, he redid the contract, promised us he's going to fire him! Several days later I didn't see him in his office, thought he really got fired. Later I found he simply just moved to another office!

Last edited:
Hey thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it I will keep all records. I have a Tacoma as well I usually get the filter from the dealership does that still hold true with Mazdas filters are they still top on the market or should there be an aftermarket filter?
Many people here use Mazda OEM filter as SkyActiv-G engine using an oil filter which is without anti-drain-back valve and has different psi on by-pass valve setting at 11~14. The filtering element is finer too at 15 micron. The only aftermarket oil filter claimed to meet Mazda's spec is Wix 57002.

Mazda OEM oil filter PE01-14-302A and Mazda 0W-20 moly oil are preferred for oil change by many members here including myself. You can get oil change kit with very reasonable price from our sponsor - Med Center Mazda. Order over $100 gets free shipping.

Lastly, make sure to turn on your oil life monitor by setting your oil change interval to "Flexible" in your Maintenance Monitor!

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

This is more than just a lie, it is fraudulent. If this had happened to me, I'd have left his office and gone straight to the GM's door.

Hindsight tells me I'd have asked for that in writing (to hang his sorry ass with) but I don't really know if I'd have thought that clearly at the time.

Even after the fact, I'd still be at the GM's door - that is terrible behavior.
I agree. I'd squeeze $500-1k more outta the deal from the GM, or tell him you're walking, and then I'd report it anyways...

Hey thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it I will keep all records. I have a Tacoma as well I usually get the filter from the dealership does that still hold true with Mazdas filters are they still top on the market or should there be an aftermarket filter?
The filter for my Tundra is the only part I still use and buy from the dealer.

No, I wasn't trying to defend that finance guy but simply pointed out there're places doing that way. I myself had many issues with finance person at car dealers. Most of time they're lying to us and misguiding us with wrong information! I had at least 2 times having dealer redo the sales contract the next day due to finance guy's wrong doing when I reviewed the contract at home after the excitement of buying a new car. Funny thing is when I confronted the GM of that Honda dealer about finance guy lying to us, he redid the contract, promised us he's going to fire him! Several days later I didn't see him in his office, thought he really got fired. Later I found he simply just moved to anoither office!

Ha! A "good" (e.g. "effective") F&I guy is a BIG money maker, and it would greatly surprise me to see an owner actually fire one of these guys. However, they, like most in the car biz move around a LOT.

There's a kinda smarmy guy at my marina who rolls a big BMW SUV, gold chains, showy wife, big/fast/loud boat etc. I asked the marina owner what this guy did; guess what? F&I at a BMW store.

Best advice for inexperienced car buyers: Beware the F&I guy.

Try what I do.
The moment you walk in the finance guy's office/cube, tell him/her:
"Look, I am not buying anything you are selling. Let us sign the papers. I need to go in 10 mins."

I agree. I'd squeeze $500-1k more outta the deal from the GM, or tell him you're walking, and then I'd report it anyways...

This might help you feel better and give you some bragging rights about what great a deal you got, but personally I wouldn't want to "extort" my dealer in such a way. You'll probably have to visit the dealership for servicing and whatnot over the next few years, and I'd hate to get off on such contentious footing. That's just me, of course, and I understand that many salespeople/loan people would have no problem lying or deceiving to get your business and maximize profits. If dealing with that loan guy bothered me so much, I'd just walk away, complain later, and shop elsewhere.

Try what I do.
The moment you walk in the finance guy's office/cube, tell him/her:
"Look, I am not buying anything you are selling. Let us sign the papers. I need to go in 10 mins."

Disclaimer: I'm just being sarcastic.

Next time bring a small small ball point pen and fill the cover with fine granulated powdered sugar. Anyways if you're in the room with the finance guy and after he's done with his pitch do the following in order.

- Twitch your right eye (if you can't then your left eye), still can't?..well twitch something then.
- Stand up from you chair
- Walk towards the office door and close it. If already closed pretend you're just checking its closed
- Facing the door proceed to lay a line on your wrist
- Lick it off but quickly make a snorting sound
- Twitch your neck
- Turn around and take a seat
- Pretend your phone is vibrating so answer it. Utter these words while your teeth are closed shut. "Handle it for me" and then hang up the phone like a boss
- Tell the finance guy "are we done here, I'm a busy man" or lady.
Done.

If he still gives push back you have 2 options. The quiet option. The hardcore option.

- Quite option. If he restarts his pitch stop him in mid sentence. Point you phone towards him saying "I don't have time for this". Repeat as necessary. Maybe leave some granulated sugar on you nose.

- Hardcore option. Lay a fat line on his table. Snort it. Pound you fists unto his table like a deranged lunatic screaming I DONT WANT TO PURCHASE A FREAKING _______ , I JUST WANT TO GET THIS OVER WITH. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!!!

Now if for some reason they call the cops on you ensure that you advise the cops your sugar levels were low and the finance guy was stressing you out. You might've made a scene. You might've even scared off other customers to leave the showroom. But in the end you did not purchase extra crap from the finance guy.

This might help you feel better and give you some bragging rights about what great a deal you got, but personally I wouldn't want to "extort" my dealer in such a way. You'll probably have to visit the dealership for servicing and whatnot over the next few years, and I'd hate to get off on such contentious footing. That's just me, of course, and I understand that many salespeople/loan people would have no problem lying or deceiving to get your business and maximize profits. If dealing with that loan guy bothered me so much, I'd just walk away, complain later, and shop elsewhere.
Not worried. My car will NEVER go back to the dealer here, not even for cheap
Parts like oil filters...

Bragging rights?! Lol, yea I wanna good deal on a new car for bragging right. Umm Kay...

You can't let this dirtbag continue this crap... COMPLAIN TO MAZDA! PLEASE!

In many countries you've to go to authorized dealers for all maintenance or your manufacture new-car warranty will be void!

In the UK we were forced to go to the relevant manufacturers dealer for services etc to maintain the warranty. But a while ago (10 years maybe?) "block exemption" law kicked in and we can now go to any garage for service, but they must be a UK VAT registered company, and the onus is on us to prove that the work was done to Mazda's intervals and to spec. ie we can't do our own servicing and maintain the warranty.

In the UK we were forced to go to the relevant manufacturers dealer for services etc to maintain the warranty. But a while ago (10 years maybe?) "block exemption" law kicked in and we can now go to any garage for service, but they must be a UK VAT registered company, and the onus is on us to prove that the work was done to Mazda's intervals and to spec. ie we can't do our own servicing and maintain the warranty.

The whole idea of warranty and what's covered and for how long tends to vary greatly from country to country as local laws can be very different.

If I ever got told that blatant lie, I would of simply stood up and walked out. That is utterly ridiculous and I would want to leave a lasting impression on them the next time they think about saying this that there is a good chance of them losing the sale.

Oil changes are free for a lifetime for me in NJ. I give the dealer a 20 dollar synthetic castrol check that I receive in the mail after each oil change.

Many people here use Mazda OEM filter as SkyActiv-G engine using an oil filter which is without anti-drain-back valve and has different psi on by-pass valve setting at 11~14. The filtering element is finer too at 15 micron. The only aftermarket oil filter claimed to meet Mazda's spec is Wix 57002.

Mazda OEM oil filter PE01-14-302A and Mazda 0W-20 moly oil are preferred for oil change by many members here including myself. You can get oil change kit with very reasonable price from our sponsor - Med Center Mazda. Order over $100 gets free shipping.

Lastly, make sure to turn on your oil life monitor by setting your oil change interval to "Flexible" in your Maintenance Monitor!

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Thanks brother, just a quick question, what is the difference in flexible and regular and why is it better?

This is pretty awesome I must say . Very doable.

Disclaimer: I'm just being sarcastic.

Next time bring a small small ball point pen and fill the cover with fine granulated powdered sugar. Anyways if you're in the room with the finance guy and after he's done with his pitch do the following in order.

Back