Just bought an 02 Lexus IS300

jtmp3

:
2002 Lexus IS300 1997 Toyota 4runner
Well, if you have looked at my other threads I have bought and sold a bunch of cars in the lst few months. I sold my turbo'd MP3 and bought an 02 Millenia S(supercharged). And then sold it to buy my 97 4runner and my 02 GSXR600. Well, I sold the bike and put siding on the house. well I gave the 4runner to the wife. So we traded her 05 Altima and got my 02 IS300. It is AWESOME. I llove it more than any car I have ever owned. I just feel like I had to tell someone about it. Sorry to ramble.

NICE!

What color did you get? PLEASE tell me you got the charcoal! I freakin' LOVE the IS in the charcoal!!

My boyfriend has an IS300, and I envy him every time we ride in the damn thing. When we were up at college, I used to come up with excuses all the time to have to borrow his car, LOL.

Any mods planned? I don't know what's really available .. All my boyfriend has done is some 19" wheels, tint, painted the headlights black and installed some angel eyes in 'em, and painted the foglights black. I think he's planning to paint the tail lights black, too. And he removed all the chrome badging, and replaced 'em with black chrome.

nice car. the new is300 is is350 is even sicker. very nice ride, although i think it's a bit too over priced. i myself am getting a 3 series sometime next week. haven't decided if i want new or used yet

smo0f said:
nice car. the new is300 is is350 is even sicker. very nice ride, although i think it's a bit too over priced. i myself am getting a 3 series sometime next week. haven't decided if i want new or used yet

if i were you and looking for a bmw i would honestly get a used M3, simply because the 3 series are comfy but if you want balls go m3. the 1998 m3's can be had for like 19k MAX around there i assume and are an awesome care and platform but just my two cents. or you could get an 01-03 m3 with smg which is KICK ASS. but again good luck and post pictures of the new car when you get it.

/end threadjack

also the is300 is killer, ive secretly wanted one since it came out and i beleive you can swap a v-8 into it hehe or just twin turbo it, the 02's i beleive were like the modern day supras, if i remember correctly their engines were very similary i thinks? i could be wrong. BUT steller car no less!

my sister owns a 02 in the deep blue (my favorite color) I put a lip and a spoiler on it for her it looks soooooo hottt (to bad its sooo slow) but probably not good to mod as she has almost 150k on it with NO maintenance (minus oil change's/brake pads/Tires (lots and lots of tires)) I've been naging her about her timing belt (ticking time bomb).
But even being an auto(padel shift) its still alot of fun to drive.

Mr. 4500 RPM said:
also the is300 is killer, ive secretly wanted one since it came out and i beleive you can swap a v-8 into it hehe or just twin turbo it, the 02's i beleive were like the modern day supras, if i remember correctly their engines were very similary i thinks? i could be wrong. BUT steller car no less!

Wrong.

similar motor supra used a 2jz-gte with a getrag (sp?) 6 speed

Is300 is a 2jz-ge(no forged internals, no special oil squarters in the block) with a crappy 5 speed.

my plan is to get an m3, but i'm not getting a used one. i was chatting with a salesman and he himself told me that 7 out of 10 are abused. i'm not sure why a salesman would even tell me that, but i'm pretty sure you buy an m3 to beat on it, not to decorate it with flowers. 3 series is nice entry level that will get me into the bmw family and enable me to possibly get a good deal on a new m3 in a few years. i'd get one now but i would rather save for a house or a business

Mr. 4500 RPM said:
if i were you and looking for a bmw i would honestly get a used M3, simply because the 3 series are comfy but if you want balls go m3. the 1998 m3's can be had for like 19k MAX around there i assume and are an awesome care and platform but just my two cents. or you could get an 01-03 m3 with smg which is KICK ASS. but again good luck and post pictures of the new car when you get it.

/end threadjack

Lanevo said:
Wrong.

similar motor supra used a 2jz-gte with a getrag (sp?) 6 speed

Is300 is a 2jz-ge(no forged internals, no special oil squarters in the block) with a crappy 5 speed.

how am i wrong if you just stated the engines were similar which is what i stated? oh and i never stated myself to be an expert or anything i knew there was a similarity with the engines but i didnt mean it as an end all statement.

Last edited:
smo0f said:
my plan is to get an m3, but i'm not getting a used one. i was chatting with a salesman and he himself told me that 7 out of 10 are abused. i'm not sure why a salesman would even tell me that, but i'm pretty sure you buy an m3 to beat on it, not to decorate it with flowers. 3 series is nice entry level that will get me into the bmw family and enable me to possibly get a good deal on a new m3 in a few years. i'd get one now but i would rather save for a house or a business

well my pops has a 98 m3 and its not abused heh around 53k miles i think on it? anyways yeah honestly i would get an m3 NOW if you could or soon the replacement is comming soon and their prices should go down once that goes on so wait it out a bit if you cant. but if the whole house thing comes first then go for that but id choose a m3 over a 3 series anyday though. i love the 3 series but i sorta wouldnt bother with one ya know?

Mr. 4500 RPM said:
how am i wrong if you just stated the engines were similar which is what i stated?

well yes they both are in-line 6 3.0L made by Toyota. thats about where the similarity stops. Turboing the NA motor is a BAD idea. there is a guy here in buffalo that is about 30k into his IS and it still doesnt run right with 8psi.

What do you think its a mazda (shrug)

Last edited:
i would, i'm not exactly as power hungry as i used to be a few months, or even weeks ago. but like i said, i'm either opening up my own business or getting a house, so an m3 is an unnecessity at this moment

Mr. 4500 RPM said:
id choose a m3 over a 3 series anyday though. i love the 3 series but i sorta wouldnt bother with one ya know?

I bought a silver one, it's called Millineum I think? I think I am going to keep it simple and save up for some Volk's or Racing Hart's or something like that. It already has tinted windows and factory HID's. So I might lower it and put rims on it. Tein and Volk sound like a good combo,expensive, but good.

jtmp3 said:
I bought a silver one, it's called Millineum I think? I think I am going to keep it simple and save up for some Volk's or Racing Hart's or something like that. It already has tinted windows and factory HID's. So I might lower it and put rims on it. Tein and Volk sound like a good combo,expensive, but good.
If you're looking for some reference pics as far as what different wheels look like on the silver IS, here's a bad shot of Brandon's -- as you can tell, he has no camera skills whatsoever.

BNewWheels.JPG

I can take additional pics of the car with a better quality camera, and actually of the ENTIRE thing, if you're curious.

Good luck with whatever you choose t'do! :D

I used to drive a 02 millenium silver IS300. Great car, the only thing i didn't like was that no matter what position the seats were in I found it uncomfortable.

Tha is the same color and year as mine. I love it, the way it drives and feels is great. Did you have a problem with the factory head unit and amp? I had to replace my headunit and bypass the amp but now it sounds good.

Never had a problem with mine. The only issue I ever had with the car was a seatbelt rattle fixed under warranty.

Back