Just another yellow P5 build...

That was fun with dry ice! I really did not believe that this stuff cold weigh that much. Over the years I would kinda try removing it and since it is so slimy and sticky it would never be worth the minimal weight reduction. But with the store I got the ice from going out of business the ice was half off so I had to try it out. And you where right. The dry ice made a bunch of noise and really made me feel like I was back in a middle school science class. The stuff lifted out in massive chunks and I was done in no time at all. Thanks again. I will post my total weight when I am done vacuuming out the little crumbs in my thread.

oh, and you will loose a bit more bottom end with that header. You should have bought a 4-2-1 for better bottom end performance. Its a better around the town header, I know they are harder to find. But anything is better than the stock boat anchor that came with the car.

I told you it was fun, haha. but there is now about 12-14 little exposed holes in your floorpan and rear seats. I don't know if you care about them, but sealing them up cut out alot of noise. and I'm actually hoping to gain back some bottom end because it feels like my gutted precat killed all of my torque.

Last edited:
Okay, I just came in after going for a quick test drive with my new awr rear motor mount. And this time it only took 45min to install. The first time it took a couple hours. I've actually noticed less vibration and noise at idle than before with just the awr front mount. And the improvement in shift quality and drivetrain feel is amazing. It feels much more direct and solid. But It is louder throughout the rev range, which doesnt bother me because I get less vibes at idle. That is what bothered me before. and I actually thought the car had stalled the first time I put in the clutch, but it didnt, i just wasnt used to the new low rpm smoothness. I guess when running only the front polyurethane mount, it puts all of the stress and movement into the rear mount, effectively jackhammering the firewall at lower rpm.

Aside from that, I changed my oil while I had the car up.

Today I came across a local guy who was in the process of turning his P5 back to stock and still had a couple of parts left.

I picked up these for myself, dont know if i'll use the cup holder, but I will be using the arm rest for sure.

002_zpsoq8uyjaq.jpg

And Also scored these, which you will soon see in the protege/P5 for sale section here on the forum. I was thinking about keeping them as spairs, but replacement struts from yellowspeed are cheap, and I still have my stock/eibach combo to run if anything ever happens. Pick these up guys, they're great coils. right around 1500 miles on them.

008_zpsuvupnxvb.jpg

Whew, today I got my obx header wrapped with ledaut titanium wrap and installed. It went a whole lot smoother than I had anticipated. I was worried that my egr pipe nut would not thread on because the threads are so destroyed. But I managed to get it threaded on and then get the flange lined up pretty easily. Its a little louder, but not much, especially at low rpm. The sound has changed radically though. Its much angrier sounding, with pops and crackles. Not too much rasp though, I was expecting worse, and was planning on needing to get a resonator put in. But so far I like it alot, and the torque, power, and response is noticably improved over my gutted precat.

Today I came across a local guy who was in the process of turning his P5 back to stock and still had a couple of parts left.

I picked up these for myself, dont know if i'll use the cup holder, but I will be using the arm rest for sure.

002_zpsoq8uyjaq.jpg

And Also scored these, which you will soon see in the protege/P5 for sale section here on the forum. I was thinking about keeping them as spairs, but replacement struts from yellowspeed are cheap, and I still have my stock/eibach combo to run if anything ever happens. Pick these up guys, they're great coils. right around 1500 miles on them.

008_zpsuvupnxvb.jpg

Sweet find! I love my Yellowspeed coils, and those are a steal with only 1500 miles on them.

Love the look of CF, but I was never a fan of the overlays, or caps. I know it doesn't matter much with these parts, or if the car isn't being raced, but the point of CF was always to reduce weight, not add it to the existing. Guess I'm just a detail nazi..

Yeah, I never was either. I usually take weight into account with everything that I do, so I never would have bought them. But heres the catch, Those cf peices cost me $10 haha.

And Im really hoping someone wants those coils, theyre all boxed up and ready to go.

And I'll try to get a sound clip sometime.

Always back with some great updates! I love this thread :) Nice pick up on the parts too, especially the $10 cf pieces (omg). In for the sound clip!

Thanks man, I hope it sounds good on camera. So far I've been enjoying blasting around with all the new noises. It might sound a little raspier than I thought, since it was raining really hard last night.

Yeah, and he actually still had the cf radio surround piece that I forgot to ask about. I'm going to call him back and see if he's still got it.

Sound clip is definitely needed lol. What's the length of the shortest plug for the valve cover? Gonna do the 1.8 conversion and mount the coil in the same place lol

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Shortest wire is right around 16 inches. I used a wireset from a cb7 accord. Cheap, and fitment is perfect.

And the header actually pushed my whole exhaust back about an inch, so it is now making contact with my front lateral link making a horrible rattle. Im going to have about an inch cut out to pull the muffler back toward the front of the car. Then I will get a clip.

Back