just another CAI question

mazdaRX

:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege, laser blue mica
Hello everybody. i am new to this forum and have a 2003.5 laser blue speed. 2 quick questions......... well kinda quick

1. i live in ohio, with the wet weather ( and winter approaching)
is it safe to have a cold air intake, i read once, way back when
,that water can be sucked up in a CAI if you live in a region
prone 2 wet weather. or are the chances so slim that i shouldn't worry.

2. i have noticed the lights dim when the fan kicks on and the
engine sometimes sputters when idle. is this normal? i have driven a rotary for so long that i kinda forget, i never had this problem with the Rx though.

Thanks everyone.

:cool:

Attachments

• my speed.jpg.jpg
    my speed.jpg.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 772
1. Search ;)
2. Yep its normal the protege electrical system is nice and terrible :D

No need to search. I'll tell ya. 1st time the guy posts and you tell him to search...real nice. Why not post the answer instead of telling him to search?

The Injen goes in inside the fender, after the inside skin of the liner. You would have to go into some serious water...like over a foot....which you shouldn't be driving in anyway. Don't worry about it at all. I also had a 96 Integra with the CAI right down near the road and only once I had to pull over. In addition the Injen CAI filter sits pretty high ...like right below the hole in your engine bay....to the front right.

welcome to the forum... i too am from cincinnati, and i had concernd about the intake as well. however, as stated above the filter sits resonably high in the wheel well, and even in the bad weather that we have, i have yet to be in a situation that i feared for the saftey of the intake. on the other hand... gald to see another cincinnatian with a speed, there are about 8 of us in here now. check out cincystreetscene.com and go to the forum with updates about stuff in the area(as well as to join in the ever-lasting battle to decide if the srt-4 is better than our cars)

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like i will be getting an injen CAI soon than. I am glad i found out i am not the only one with the dimming lights when the fan kicks on, i was starting to think i was seeing things. Also nice to see other people in cincy on here. i was thinking about going up to one of the autocross meetings here and getting some info about maybe signing up for a novice race. i read that they use the kentucky speedway sometimes also. well thanks again !! :D

II-Savy said:
No need to search. I'll tell ya. 1st time the guy posts and you tell him to search...real nice. Why not post the answer instead of telling him to search?

Becuase there is a wealth of knowl;edge that I can not sum up.
I in no way was a dick and answered effectively what I could.
Sometime not answering is better then telling only what you know to be true.

I know the generaly excepted idea is that it will not in any way take in water. However after simply 2 months last winter if you has seen my air filter you would think differently. Taking on water is only one hazard, being clogged with dirt extreamly quickly can be another.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back