jri4's 2008 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3 Sport Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP10s on my Miata and unless I'm at an autocross or track event I hate the squeeling. It's really bad when you can hear the sound reflect off a car right next to you.

Time for the 100K tuneup! Any suggestions on what I should do for maintenance? I haven't even looked at the manual yet, but I plan on running out and grabbing the stuff I need today...

Doing these things for sure:
Seafoam Treatment
Oil change
Spark plug

Also, I found the leak in my one tire. Taking that up to get it patched, if possible...

Highly suggest cleaning your intake valves! Im gonna be doing mine on the ms6 here soon. Just redid the ms3 about two weeks ago.

pull the intake manifold, make sure the valves are top dead center. soak them with some sort of throttle body cleaner, brush them with like a gun cleaning brush, and suck them out. I also hit them with a media blaster with crushed walnuts. I have the walnut media and media blaster. Its a good 4 hour job to do but well worth it.

Nice, I should be able to do that. Although I had the intake manifold off at around 60,000 miles and sort of cleaned it up with throttle body cleaner then. At that time I replaced the PCV valve and installed a catch can. I'll look into it, thanks!

Thinking about painting my steel winter wheels. Looked at a couple designs from older rat rods and such... thinking about going two-tone... help me pick the colors!

I like this so far:

X66019ps by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Help me decide what two colors!

Chippy, you're so lucky you're out in the country. My neighbors hate me when I seafoam my cars. lulz

I like the two-tone and color choice! I'm sure Justine does too. ;)

I'm a big fan of white and red. **** it man, get creative... do a pinwheel swirl like on the hard candies. Just paint the whole wheel white, throw it on the car with it in 1st gear (on jack stands of course), let the clutch out, use a brush with red paint to do the swirl.

Time for the 100K tuneup! Any suggestions on what I should do for maintenance? I haven't even looked at the manual yet, but I plan on running out and grabbing the stuff I need today...

Doing these things for sure:
Seafoam Treatment
Oil change
Spark plug

Also, I found the leak in my one tire. Taking that up to get it patched, if possible...

Its great to see you drive this car for over 65k miles. I read through the entire feed and didnt really see any major problems. Did you have any costly maintenance that you had to do such as repairs?

Nothing major. For a while, I had the blue smoke from an apparent smoking turbo...but I "masked" that by switching to 5w-40 Full Synthetic oil and I also installed a catch can. No sign of it for the last 40,000 miles! Every 30,000 or so, I get a CEL because the EGR valve clogs. I just follow Raider's how-to to take it out and give it a quick cleaning. Other than that, I have had terrible luck with tires and punctures or screw-ups.

Thanks for reading and always feel free to ask questions!

Older picture but only the wheels have changed since then...
-I got JBR adjustable rear camber arms for Xmas.
-104,000 on the odometer currently.
-CEL is constantly on, probably the EGR valve is sticking again....time to clean it! I have experienced fuel cut once during my time with the car, just a few days ago
-Snow tires are holding up well
-I'm afraid I will need two new summer tires when I put my OZs back on...I think both rears punctured during the last month they were on my car....since it was so close to winter, I just kept constantly filling them with air. We will see when spring comes, I guess...

- I have 2.5 more years of payments, I think! Augh! I hope it continues running, at least, until then. Then I can rebuild the engine and keep it running another 10+ years! No money to pay it off early now with the wedding and house-building...

That is all from me. I know I'm not on here as much as I use to be, but I still visit and read the site almost every day! Thanks!

PS-- Original post slightly updated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back