jri4's 2008 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3 Sport Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see... slow ass P5, MS3. Yeeeeaaaah... haha

And I totally forgot about Ryans wheels. I'm excited to see you out there, buddy!

MS3's just spin tires auto-xing. Too much flat-outness... or something that I will never understand.

MS3's just spin tires auto-xing. Too much flat-outness... or something that I will never understand.
Yeah, this is true. Maybe I have the throttle modulation mod built into my system, I dunno... I'm not really sure what all I will do this summer. It's just nice knowing I have everything I need. The potential is there if I choose to use it.

The way I see it, I am done with brakes, wheels, tires, and most maintenance stuff for the next 3 years or so. I'll be hitting 100,000 miles before then, and will need to do some maintenance. Next maintenance upgrades I foresee are a new clutch (maybe--remember this was my first manual and saw a lot of early abuse, and I dunno how the PO drove) and timing belt?

In new news, everything has come in and is sitting in my garage. I'll take a day or two to complete the brake job, then find a good tire place for mounting and alignment... Hopefully all done before April 1st

The ms3 has a timing chain if I'm not mistaken. Chippy it's so fun reading your thread because I'm more or less in the same boat you are with mods.

^ Correct, timing chain. Most chains on engines are designed to last the life of the engine. The chain design on the MZR's are quite good. Double roller, small links. You'll be good for a while.

I just saw this post. If you haven't installed the NAPA rotors yet, do yourself a favor and return them and get a set from Autozone or Advanced. The only set of rotors I've ever warped on my MSP were from NAPA and that was in one session on track. The other stores seem to have much better suppliers for their cast iron and I've never had a problem with them after some substantial abuse.

So they DO carry it, those sneaky bastards.

But "features a 396 degree wet boiling point". The Wilwood fluid was 570/600 on the shelf. Or am I not understanding something here...

I thought we covered that before. They have it, but not on the shelves.

Timing chain. Yes. Indeed. It's good to know it should hold up for the lifetime of the engine. That's good to hear, thanks!
Bill, thanks for the heads up. I heard that some of the Miatas and stuff use Napa rotors without issue. But of course, my car is more like a MSP than a Miata, so I will heed your warning. It's just Napa has never let me down before... I hate my local Autozone (I don't think I'm allowed in there anymore).

I'm not allowed in my local Autozone either, bastards stole my $31.52!

Rolled over 90,000...
New tires: Continental ExtremeContact DW 235/40-18

Alignment done at White Wheel:

Front:
Camber: -0.8 degrees (Left) / -0.7 degrees (Right).
Caster: 3.3 degrees (Left) / 3.2 degrees (Right)
Toe: 0.02 / 0.02

Rear:
Camber: -2.9 degrees (Left) / -1.7 degrees (Right)
Toe: -0.0 (Left) / 0.00 (Right)

I need rear adjustable camber arms...

40 series tires mounted/balanced + alignment = $300 at white wheel.

Next up: oil change on my next day off

Yeah. I suppose so. They had to do a lot of work to get my car back into shape, including cutting away some metal under the hood to adjust front camber and other stuff. Yes it is expensive, but I would go there again in a heartbeat.

You didn't use the hole saw for the camber plate access when you installed the coils?

I need some rear camber arms too :(

White Wheel does a great job. They charge $80 an hour + tax for alignments. Mine ended up being just under $100 and they didn't really have a lot to adjust.

How is the steering angle now, Chippy? And why such the drastic discrepancy in rear camber?

THE Phen:5941320 said:
You didn't use the hole saw for the camber plate access when you installed the coils?

I did cut some away, but I guess they had to cut more to get the adjustment needed...

WillD:5941346 said:
I need some rear camber arms too :(

White Wheel does a great job. They charge $80 an hour + tax for alignments. Mine ended up being just under $100 and they didn't really have a lot to adjust.

How is the steering angle now, Chippy? And why such the drastic discrepancy in rear camber?

Steering is great. Slight slight slight pull to the right, if any. Steering wheel sits straight up at 12 o clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back