JosueP5's '03 Protege5 Build Thread.

How much do headlights go for on these cars? Mine are all faded and cracked from sun damage.

There's a set of newly restored Canadian headlights for $200 plus shipping on here this morning. I like the black housing look, but I've always been weary on baking and resealing headlights. Condensation in lights is one of my biggest peeves, and I was always afraid of not getting a good seal.

I saw that thread and that's a good price...pending pics of the 'restore'. A pair from the dealer will set you back about $700 or so. Be sure to ask if the spring clips are intact...they are notorious for breaking off.

Cool...thanks for the tip!

I don't imagine the Canadian ones come up for sale often? My luck though, I'd buy them and they'd STILL fog up...haha

You bet and not the authentic ones. The last pair I saw up f/s were basically new (with a couple of thousand miles) and the guy was asking $500 for them. Also not sure if you saw it but the same guy is/was selling a pair of CDM lights retro-fitted with projectors.

If they aren't sealed well, let me know. We've baked and opened / sealed Levi's headlights half a dozen times now. I have some experience with those.

Gotcha. I would try the bake and paint on mine, but like I said, they're all cracked. blah How much do regular US lights go for? Might be worth a try if they're dirt cheap? I thought about painting them body color too...but I need to see some done already.

I saw those projectors too. They look sweet, but that seems like a lot of scrilla? If regular ones are going for that much though, then I guess that's fair.

From the dealer IIRC the USDM lights go for around $400 a pair, maybe a bit higher. You can get some Depot lights off of ebay...black housings go for around $400 a pair and chrome housings go for around $280 or so.

As for body colored, here ya go and on a classic red no less. He is a member here and his s/n is spotthedogg http://www.cardomain.com/ride/393112/2002-mazda-protege5

Hmmm.....me thinks me likey!!

And here's the video!! I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off to get this done so I could take care of the dogs and eat my lunch. Tried to make the 1st vid, and it wasn't making the sound. Played with the bolts on the valve cover, reved it a few times, then it started again. Tried again to get the video, and my SD card was full. Went inside to get the new 4GB card we bought yesterday, and it needed to be formatted? After trying to do so a few times, I ran back inside, got the other card, and deleted some pics off it so I could have room to make this 30 sec clip...hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN3RWcu3gVs

Subbin, finally. heh-heh. Looking forward to seeing her tonight! It's like bringing home a newborn baby from the hospital for the first time. :)

Are we gonna need any tools? Or is this more just to check it out and get a gameplan/parts list going?

I don't have much here at home, but I can bring some of my tools home from work.

I think tonight will be more of a gameplan, inspection and parts list. Honestly, I'm pretty worthless on the weekdays for wrenching because I work manual labour and am old. heh-heh.

But like I said, don't buy anything without checking with Phen or I first. Haha! Phen has saved me probably hundreds of $$$ when I first bought my P5. Then again, he also helped me mod it too so he cost me just as much in fun parts.

The MSP headlights fit the P5 but you'll need to do some re-wiring because they are dual filament bulbs. But they are much cheaper on eBay for the MSP headlights. I have painted and baked mine before and refinished them last fall so we'll take a look at them.

As far as new engine options, there are a few. I would think just another FS-DE and keep it pretty basic would be best. But like the other cats said, they seem to be hit or miss. Kevin (not sure if you met him yet) bought a 1.8 FP for $300 in Chicago and we swapped that in and it's been running great. When I was getting quotes for USDM KL motors they all wanted at least $1k for a motor with at least 100k miles on it. I got my KL for about $900 shipped and it looks like it has 20k miles on it. And there is the FS-ZE option too for about $700 but you'll need to source an ECU for it. But we can research more about that.

I'm stoked to come over and check it out tonight, man. :)

edit- and my FS-DE will be for sale when I swap but that won't be till May or so. ANd it's got 132k miles on her. But still runs great, we'll go for a ride tonight. But no pressure to buy it.

And there is the FS-ZE option too for about $700 but you'll need to source an ECU for it. But we can research more about that.

Imo, don't even consider it an option. The ECU's j-spec wiring is totally different from what we have over here. Iirc only about 3 people have gotten it to work, and at least one said it wasn't worth it.

If you were really bent on it, the best thing would just be to build your a-spec FS to the ZE's specs: higher comp pistons, more aggressive intake cam (ZE cam), and there's something else I can't remember, it may be the ecu. It's been a while since I was into that idea, lol. Anyway, if you really wanted to do it, just build yours to be like that one, and then get a stand alone engine management (Halltech, AEM EMS, megasquirt, whatever works). But then you've got an engine that makes maybe 130-140whp and you've put a good deal of money and effort into it. Welcome to Mazda. But this whole idea kind of goes against your reliable DD, which imo makes the most sense and will be the easiest on the wallet.

Last edited:
Yeah... but you got those parts at extreme discounts! LOL.

Ahhhhhhh.........so much to think about!!!!!! LOL

The best option for me right now is the cheapest/most reliable/easiest/quickest to get the thing on the road. hehe If I still have it when we're able to afford me a truck again, then it can go over to toy status. It will probably stay DD status though, my toy will be my dad's 68 Firebird that I'm going to get after I'm done with this 69!

If you don't want to shell out $300+ for new headlights, just buy some sedan lights on the cheap and swap the lenses, unless your housings are cracked as well. Much cheaper to just swap lenses.

Thanks for the consultation tonight Evan. Can't wait to tear this thing apart and get this project rolling!

What a beautiful sight!

2011-04-12191141.jpg

2011-04-12191208.jpg

Hey, I see you pulled the trigger on those lights...not a bad deal at all. Let me know if you plan on parting with that c/f spoiler...would look nice with my hood and eyelids. I also just noticed that Dave did the Mazda6 wagon rear wiper upgrade...one less 'mod' to worry about. :)

Last edited:
Back