Jeff@Tri-Point Koni DA Custom Coilover Log

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
Axxis Ultimates front and Posi Quiet Ceramic rears, why did you change from your setup?

I just felt the car was still rolling too much in the front and decreasing tire life by killing the outside of the tires and overheating them. I think I had 450# springs up front at the time. I was on R' comps though so the extra grip probably caused a lot more roll in the front than your setup that a lot of negative camber couldn't overcome. I was also on far less engineered struts so the springs weren't controlled very well. I know several STX MSPs that swapped out for the smaller Protege5 front swaybar, but no one has really done much reporting on that. I'm not very familar with the posi Quiet pads. I know they are supposed to be equal to stock. I've got stock pads in the rear of my car and on street tires I can lock the rear up pretty easily. It's not nearly as bad on R' comps, but thats probably because I'm more sensitive to them and subconciously adjust so that I don't lock them up. I've been thinking of installing a bias valve, but I hate working on brakes.

It just really sucks that most of the really well setup Proteges are on at opposite corners of the US and the only time we would ever see each other is at a National event where we couldn't really test out each other's cars.

xelderx said:
It just really sucks that most of the really well setup Proteges are on at opposite corners of the US and the only time we would ever see each other is at a National event where we couldn't really test out each other's cars.

Ya, well the guys out here in my class are national champions. I'll be able to see how well my car does against them. Do you plan on going to the national tour events out here? I think i'm only doing the west coast side.

So far the tour dates aren't lining up with my schedule. I'll be at a few Pro Solos though. I'm in the same boat as far as competition goes locally. The 4th place FSP car from Nationals is in NC along with what should have been the 2nd place car, but he threw it away on the last run in Topeka. Everytime there is a large event on the East Coast I have to run against both of them.

xelderx said:
How is the handling with those spring rates? Seems like it would be a little understeer prone.

I would think so as well. Slightly different car, but on my STX MX6, 500f 500r with a 19mm rear bar (stock is 12mm) the car pushed horribly. Dropping the front to 445 solved it quite nicely. However I do have the stock front bar still connected.

I would imagine this has something to do with why your setup would work. Have you run it with the front bar connected?

FYI, the Nat'l Tour that was planned for Miller Motorspors Park has now been changed to a single Course format Pro Solo. It's going to be very fun :)
http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/229492.aspx

Ryan

Last edited:
I think Jeff's car rotates well because his roll stiffness front to rear is still pretty equal due to the fact his front swaybar is disconnected. Plus he runs a lot of negative camber so the front end isn't as prone to "washing out" as the wheels decamber as alot of other setups.

Yea...He just uses a different method to balance out the car. He is saving a little weight by not using the swaybar and every little but helps. The only real disadvantage is the stiff ride while daily driving.

Yep, I'm wary of bumping up my front spring rates any more while using the stock sway bar.

Pulloff available, Jeff?

Last edited:
Jeff.JPG

Chasing after the Lock up issue. I'm using Axxis Ultimates in the front and Posi Quiet Ceramic in the rear.

I did a little more practice and as I stiffened up the rear the car rotated better however, I felt that the brake lock up in the rear kicked in sooner. So I'm going to try changing out my rear pads to an Axxis Ultimate. Ill keep you guys updated.

Jeff, The brakes on the Protege's and the MX6's are similar. I was having the same issue running Hawk HP+ all around. The solution I found was to reduce the pad area by grinding of approximately 1/4" off either end. It settled the car A LOT and allowed me to brake a LOT harder without risk of lock up.

This was especially nice for track duty as she tended to get a bit squirrely even in straight line braking. But no more, mash the brakes and the car stays straight and true :)

Ryan

I've been using stock pads in the rear and haven't had any noticable problem. I could probably still lock the rears up before the fronts under threshold braking, but I've learned to modulate just enough to keep the rears from locking. I might start drilling holes in the rear pads to free them up and allow me a little more freedom with the brake pressure on the fronts, but I'm so used to the way the car trailbrakes now I might just leave it alone.

If your rear is locking up you want something that either grabs quicker in the front or slower in the rear.

On the Miata I have front lock up issues so I use Cobalt GT's in the rear and stock pads in the front.

xelderx said:
I've been using stock pads in the rear and haven't had any noticable problem. I could probably still lock the rears up before the fronts under threshold braking, but I've learned to modulate just enough to keep the rears from locking. I might start drilling holes in the rear pads to free them up and allow me a little more freedom with the brake pressure on the fronts, but I'm so used to the way the car trailbrakes now I might just leave it alone.

I would agree but at the same time I disagree because depending on how stiff the rear of the car is from Rebound/Bump adjustments, it's a new learning curve with braking. =(

Inspector 24 said:
Jeff, The brakes on the Protege's and the MX6's are similar. I was having the same issue running Hawk HP+ all around. The solution I found was to reduce the pad area by grinding of approximately 1/4" off either end. It settled the car A LOT and allowed me to brake a LOT harder without risk of lock up.

This was especially nice for track duty as she tended to get a bit squirrely even in straight line braking. But no more, mash the brakes and the car stays straight and true :)

Ryan

They don't make Hawk HP+ pads for the MSP, I was very sad when I heard that. I'm looking into Porterfield R4S's (Spelling?)

Jeff@Tri-Point said:
I would agree but at the same time I disagree because depending on how stiff the rear of the car is from Rebound/Bump adjustments, it's a new learning curve with braking. =(

Exactly. I'll probably start playing around with it though since it's much easier than installing a brake bias adjuster. I'll have to relearn my braking for this season anyway with the new, higher springrates and much wider tires.

Jeff@Tri-Point said:

Looking at this image how much negative camber are you running in the rear? Your contact patch on the rear tire might be part of your issue with brake lockup.

Or it could just be the angle of the picture.

Let me know how you like the R4S's if you get them I have been looking at them for once I get my car back on the road (engine swaps take a long time the first time)

xelderx said:
I just noticed you guys use really small cones.

haha yea, they are almost like little kiddy soccer cones. I have some of those I bring out as a joke. Now my dogs have claimed them as their own chew toys.

Jeff, I gotta say it again, I love how the car looks. It is now my desktop (2thumbs)

Back