J-spec 20Z black tail light

Ive been wanting to do this myself. did you bake the tail lights, or did you use a dremel or similar cutter to open up the backs? i remember seeing someone do this before, but he just cut open the backs behind the tails. I want to open the entire thing. is that possible?

Headlights are different than taillights.

Headlights require baking in the oven (or heat gun)... it's real easy.

The M5 taillights are glued together w/ epoxy or other cement ... NOT easy to get apart.

I just got the headlights blacked out - looks (thumb)
Now I'm just waiting to hear about blacked out tails...;)

the tail lights clear cover and backing are basically melted together,so baking them won't work...I've had an extra set sitting around, so I tried to dremel one open in hopes of blacking it out...gotta have a lot of patience and a good cutting blade...I wasn't so patient...(boom02)
Otherwise look around for a GT tail light that's already black....might be easier....I have one...still waiting on the other GT to pop up on ebay or something....(idhitit)

hey GreenTea did you ever find the pics of the backside?

Yeah, i knew the headlights were bakable. I knew there really wasnt a simple aproach to opening up the tails. kinda a piss off. lots of options as the tails are so damn huge!

Ive been wanting to get my hands on a spare light, but they're pretty expensive north of the border.. cheapest is 180cad. donno if i want to spend that only to butcher the light... although, its not terribly expensive.

I had my tail light off, and noticed that next to every bulb/socket assembly, there were these little plastic caps that were removable. I removed a cap, and under the cap, it looked as if there was a spot to put a small led or light bulb into?(shrug)

The tails are completely hollowed out and everything is entirely custom after that.

p7.jpg

p7.jpg

p2.jpg

p6.jpg

All I want to know is how to gain access to the inside guts of the taillight assembly. Just like taking apart the headlights. The plastic cover needs to come off so I can tint/smoke/blackout the WHITEST TAILLIGHTS EVER!!:mad:.

Lyss%20M5%20white%20tails.JPG

I'd like to continue the smoked/blacked out theme to the tails as I did with the headlights.
M5%20HL%20blackout%20(7).JPG

Tilly - I might wanna play w/ your extra taillight. I know you tried, but if you're gonna chuck that second light, I'm willing to tear it apart and share my findings.(evil)

Nite Shades might be your only option with those tails. The 20Z tails are the only black tails out there, but you'll lose your LEDs unless you do custom like the pics I just posted. Your headlights look awesome. I thought about doing that but I wasn't sure about the outcome.

Back