Is this a good deal or should i stay away from this car?

ChosenOne

So I've been looking for a MS3 for a while now and one came up fairly close to me its a 2008 sport with around 30k miles on it with a clean title. The problem with it is that the computer ecu needs to be replaced i guess its going bad and the brakes need to be replaced as well other than that it looks to be mechanically okay, not 100% though. I had a mechanic look it over and test drive it he said the motor looked okay and drove fine. My major issue is with the body of the car there are several pretty bad scratches and dents. The front fender looks like it was keyed and there is a chip about the size of a dime. There is a large dent on the right rear and right front passenger doors that are pretty deep and followed by a scratch down the car. Also the bumper looks like it was scratched against a curb or something. So I've been told i may need to repaint the whole car by some and others said most of the damage can be repaired without a full repaint. Not sure on what to do there. Anyway he says he will go down to 11k is that too much for a car that will need pretty extensive body work and a little mechanical work? He said the issue with the ECU has been like that for a while now and just never had the cash to repair it, the dealership quoted him 1500, but can running the car like with a faulty ecu cause further problems? He says the car will idle oddly and you need to turn the car off to reset the computer and when you start the car up it will go back to normal he went to a couple of mechanics and they said it was the computer. But in the end is it too much money for the car? Also it had me thinking in 30k miles the ecu fried and there is that much damage he had to drive the car pretty hard but again i don't know the guy so cant be sure. Thanks.

Last edited:
Me personally I would stay away from it, sounds like there is too much to have to mess with there.

Rule #1 for buying a used car. Don't buy someone else's problems.

30k and it needs new brakes? I'm at 78K on mine and the original break pads are still in tact. Plus all that body damage? You can probably fix it without repainting the whole car but by the time you are done you might wish you had. Body shops always want to go above and beyond with their work because they don't want you coming back and saying it doesn't match. Plus they make more money that way. Depending on what is wrong with the ECU there is potential for future problems. If the car only has 30k on it that should have been covered by warranty. This makes me very suspicious of what he is telling you.

Really what it sounds like is that this guy beat the s*** out of his car. For all you know he could have been dumping the clutch at every stop light and the transmission could be 200 miles away from falling apart.

Save your money and find a better car that was well cared for.

thanks guys yeah i was thinking the same thing that i shouldn't get into it since it seems like too many problems but just wanted to get some opinions before i tell the guy no. To bad i really wanted it to work out i really want this car ive been looking for about 2 months now for a reasonably priced one, guess ill keep looking.

if the computer is bad the warranty from the manufacture is 8 years or 80k miles. government mandated. as long as it's a natural failure.

if someone was into the wiring or a rodent cheweed or bodyshop did something causing the computer to fry of course the manufacture wont repair it.

original catalytic convertors....some portions of the air bag system and engine ecu (computer) are all mandated by the government for each and every car manufacture...not just mazda....

just like a recall (issued by the government)

when buying used stuff, regardless what it is, the one rule i live by, is this: if you are questioning the purchase for ANY reason, walk away.

^+3 Sounds like a bag full of headaches, not worth it. Do a little more shopping, you'll find one that you'll be comfortable with.

Back