Is the CX-9 going to get Skyactiv 4 cylinder engine for 2013 ?

No true about dropping the hatchback Mazda6. Spyshots have been released.
See here:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/07/spied-all-new-2014-mazda6-appears-in.html

Skyactiv-G 1.5L will be available on Mazda2.
You are right about 1.5G, 2.0G, and 2.5G three variants.
Adding turbo on any of them seems like an easy task depending on their marketing strategy.

Turbocharging a 13:1 to 14:1 compression engine is not easy. Mazda would have to lower compression quite a bit and re-tool the combustion process. Can it be done? Sure it could. I just don't see Mazda using boost on their gas engines right now.

BTW, no hatch or wagon for the U.S.. I was hoping for a hatch, since I owned a 2005 and loved it.

Yes. Turbo version will have to lower the compression ratio to about 10:1.
True. Wagon is not likely to come to USA. Americans are not buying enough wagons.
However, a US VP of Mazda has said that a turbo I4 Skyactiv-G is being developed for CX9,
.... unless he lied.

BTW, lower the compression ratio is not that difficult a modification to the engine.

From what I've read, the best we will see is 13:1 non-turbo gas engines in the US. Not the 14-15:1 touted on their racing engines. (Smaller Mazda 3 gets only 12:1).

The diesel will clock in around 14:1 (down from a typical 18:1).

No mention of the turbo stats.

Without one, the CX-9 will be a sleeper.

Production Skyactiv-G has been tuned down to 13:1 out of reliability concern.
Skyactiv-D remains at 14:1, and is claimed to be the cleanest diesel engine around.
Redline at 5250rpm!!!

http://articles.businessinsider.com..._urea-injection-cleanest-diesel-clean-diesels

Mazda does produce a SKYACTIV-G engine at 14:1 in Europe as it runs on Premium Fuel. The CX-5 is 13:1 here in the U.S. because Americans do not like to use Premium.

I have to amend one of my statements from earlier. I received word that the Mazda6 will feature 2 engines here in the U.S. A 2.5L gas engine and a 2.2L diesel. The diesel might not be ready by launch, but we are getting it. It appears the CX-5 will not get the diesel in the near future.

Found this related to V6 remaining for 2014 CX-9 refresh...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/07/2014-mazda6-diesel-due-in-late-2013.html

The rendering is good but still off if you watch the released videos carefully.

For CX9, Mazda might offer the carried-over MZI 3.7L initially. When the turbo-2.5G is ready,
it might join in or replace the MZI.

I read the article, and they are pretty close in what is going in. In reference to Chicago, that is where the national dealer meetings were held last week and the 2014 Mazda6 was actually there and pictures were showed of the new CX-9 and next gen Mazda3.
My hunch is the CX-9 will be a 2013, not a 2014.

Did you get to go there?

For Mazda6, the benchmark to beat is the new Nissan Altima.
The 2.5L version is rated 38mpg on highways, and 7.1sec to 60mph,
though it only has 178hp. Transmission is CVT, so it is a turn-off for some.

From what I have seen, the styling of Mazda6 is very close to the Takeri concept.
It is going to hot in styling. From styling perspective, nothing can compare in my opinion.
Sonata might be a distant second.

Recent MotorTrend comparison test puts CX5 at second place. Main complaint is "lack of power".
The 2.5L should change that.

Last edited:
Did you get to go there?

For Mazda6, the benchmark to beat is the new Nissan Altima.
The 2.5L version is rated 38mpg on highways, and 7.1sec to 60mph,
though it only has 178hp. Transmission is CVT, so it is a turn-off for some.

From what I have seen, the styling of Mazda6 is very close to the Takeri concept.
It is going to hot in styling. From styling perspective, nothing can compare in my opinion.
Sonata might be a distant second.

Recent MotorTrend comparison test puts CX5 at second place. Main complaint is "lack of power".
The 2.5L should change that.

Only GM's or dealer principal are allowed to attend. Unfortunately, I am neither.

I believe horsepower for the 2.5L will be in the 180-190 range with highway miles probably under 40mpg. Most likely 37 or 38. I would assume the diesel will get at least 40 or better.

What primarily sells cars today is style and economy. That is how Hyundai did it with the Sonata and Elantra. Obviously other factors contribute to peoples decisions, but in today's market, style and economy are the front runners. It seems that the Mazda6 has the style going and MPG's should follow.

Last edited:
By linear projection, the Skyactiv-G 2.5 should develop
193hp/187ft-lb (based on 2.0G's 155hp/150ft-lb).
200hp is a reachable target by raising redline. However, reaching 200ft-lb of
torque might be touch w/o other means.

With Mazda's iStop and iEloop technologies, next Mazda6 could hit 30(city)/40mpg(highway).
Great look, decent power, and great MPGs. It should be a hot seller for you guys.

By linear projection, the Skyactiv-G 2.5 should develop
193hp/187ft-lb (based on 2.0G's 155hp/150ft-lb).
200hp is a reachable target by raising redline. However, reaching 200ft-lb of
torque might be touch w/o other means.

With Mazda's iStop and iEloop technologies, next Mazda6 could hit 30(city)/40mpg(highway).
Great look, decent power, and great MPGs. It should be a hot seller for you guys.

I don't know if we will get the iStop or iEloop in the North American version. As far as power goes, I did hear that Mazda made reference to 29 more hp than the 2.0L, which leaves the 2.5L at 184hp. With a lighter chassis, SKYACTIV-DRIVE transmission, I think 184hp would be plenty. I would really like to see 40mpg with the gas engine, but I don't think it will happen.

I think it will be a good seller, but us dealers were promised the world with the debut of the 2009 Mazda6 and it tanked, so we will be a litter reserved to start. Personally, I am very excited for it. If I were in the market, I probably would buy one but I just traded my 2005 Mazda6 hatch for a 2013 Mazda CX-5, which has been great so far.

IMHO, current Mazda6 does not stand out among competing sedans.
As you pointed out, look alone does not sell unless it is accompanied by fuel economy.
Adding a longer warranty, that is the formula of Hyundai!

184hp from Skyactiv-G 2.5 would be a disappointment to me. Many 2.5L engines today can
put out almost 180hp w/o DI. Mazda needs to hit 190hp at very least.

Again, I read another review of small CUVs that put CX5 at second place due to lack of power.
Mazda should not make the same mistake on other vehicles that will introduce soon.

The styling of new Mazda6 makes me want to own another sedan again.....

IMHO, current Mazda6 does not stand out among competing sedans.
As you pointed out, look alone does not sell unless it is accompanied by fuel economy.
Adding a longer warranty, that is the formula of Hyundai!

184hp from Skyactiv-G 2.5 would be a disappointment to me. Many 2.5L engines today can
put out almost 180hp w/o DI. Mazda needs to hit 190hp at very least.

Again, I read another review of small CUVs that put CX5 at second place due to lack of power.
Mazda should not make the same mistake on other vehicles that will introduce soon.

The styling of new Mazda6 makes me want to own another sedan again.....

I think 184 will be ok if it gets near 40 mpg. There are other 180+ 2.5L engines, but top out at 34mpg. If the car is lighter and gets leading efficiency, 184 will be plenty.

The Mazda6 will look totally bad ass....see for yourself...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/07/first-official-photo-of-all-new-2014.html

I think 184 will be ok if it gets near 40 mpg. There are other 180+ 2.5L engines, but top out at 34mpg. If the car is lighter and gets leading efficiency, 184 will be plenty.

The Mazda6 will look totally bad ass....see for yourself...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/07/first-official-photo-of-all-new-2014.html

Agree, but w/o iStop and/or iELoop, I doubt that it the Skyactiv-G 2.5 will hit 40mpg on Maza6.
Altima hits 38mpg with CVT (very efficient transmission) and 2.5L engine. Nissan is also very aggressive
in using (ultra)high-tensile steel like Mazda.

And, did you see the City Assist of CX5 available outside USA? I don't know why Mazda is so conservative
about bringing fancy tech to USA. Fear of lawsuits, I guess.

Last edited:
I dont see why Mazda would exclude i-Eloop or i-stop from any market. Its a fundamental technology of the Sky-Activ project.

And as for turbo charging the Skyactiv-G engines, compression ratio would have to be reduced, but they can do this without having to physically reduce the compression ratio through the use of tricky valve tech. This isn't new to mazda, they've done it before in the Millenia with the 2.3 miller cycle v6 - delaying the closure of the intake valves and allowing them to still be open during the compression stroke can simulate a lower compression ratio without having to physically change anything.

I read somewhere that mazda hasn't ruled out forced induction. With that said, i have a feeling mazda may go down the miller cycle route again with the Skyactiv-G engines rather than turbo charging them, whereas the Skyactiv-d engines will employ the twin turbos.

2014-Mazda6-wagon-main.jpg

Back