Is the CX-9 going to get Skyactiv 4 cylinder engine for 2013 ?

The TDI Touareg is faster to 60, 6.9s but, if you go by a more real world number, the 5-60 is just 7.7s.
The big advantage of the CX-9 is that the 0-60 is almost the same as the 5-60 number, 7.8 vs 7.9s, meaning in the real world, you get great acceleration without brake torquing, etc.

But, the TDI loses steam as it rolls, that is why the 1/4 mile is 15.9 vs 16.0 of the CX-9. See how that huge advantage disappeared? Yes, because the TDI only traps at 85 mph, while the CX-9 traps at 88 mph.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-volkswagen-touareg-tdi-test-reviews
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2010-mazda-cx-9-awd-quick-test

The thing is, with Motor Trend testing, it is even quicker, and the gap becomes even bigger, with a trap speed of 89.6 mph.
Evidently, you can come behind a Touareg and you can pass it easily, because you pull harder and harder the more speed you reach.
And now via this testing, 0-60 is just 7.3s , and the 1/4 mile in just 15.6. Faster 1/4 mile.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/suvs/1103_2011_mazda_cx_9_video/

Of course, that is you like the sound and the behaviour and the aural pleasure of driving a diesel, which of course for me it doesn`t.

Why? Because is just too darn boring. Reving to only 4k rpms gets me to peak horsepower, and then what? Is that all you got? And that sound? And what about the sound coming out of the exhaust? Naaah.

I like what new diesels bring to the table, because they keep getting better, just as gasoline engines, but the inherent caracteristics of the diesel engine are still there, and you either like them, or you don`t.

You've evidently not driven a German diesel lately. I own both of these vehicles and the kick in the rear of the TDI is unmistakeable. The TDI diesel is quieter than the CX-9. You also forgot to mention the Touareg is carrying a full time heavy duty AWD and weighs 600lbs. more than the CX-9. The 8 speed trans does not let the Touareg "run out of steam". I can pass cars on the interstate while pulling a 5000 lb enclosed trailer like its nothing. Oh, BTW, how about 33mpg at 80mph all day long. The best I can do on the CX-9 is 22mpg and I have to stay below 75mph, otherwise, mpg goes below 20mpg. Now, I have also owned the Touareg V10 TDI. It will blow the doors off the CX-9 and still get better mileage. The best CX-9 was the one with the 3.5 liter engine. I could at least get 28mpg on the highway with our 07' CX-9 and performance is similar to our 11' CX-9. Still a head scratcher why Mazda repalced the 3.5 liter with the inferior mileage 3.7 liter.

I have to agree with jrtoureg on the sound issue. The new TDI cars that I have been around sound nothing like a diesel truck. If it did not have the TDI badge, you most likely would never know the difference (appearance-wise) without looking under the hood.

As for racing them side by side, it would be neat to see, but i really cannot get excited about seeing two 7 seat grocery-getters racing. As long as I can get to my destination comfortably, while using as little fuel as possible, and still be at least a little fun to drive, then I will be happy.

I would gladly give up my 3.7 if I could get a CX-9 TDI with similar efficiency to the toureg.

I have to agree with jrtoureg on the sound issue. The new TDI cars that I have been around sound nothing like a diesel truck. If it did not have the TDI badge, you most likely would never know the difference (appearance-wise) without looking under the hood.

As for racing them side by side, it would be neat to see, but i really cannot get excited about seeing two 7 seat grocery-getters racing. As long as I can get to my destination comfortably, while using as little fuel as possible, and still be at least a little fun to drive, then I will be happy.

I would gladly give up my 3.7 if I could get a CX-9 TDI with similar efficiency to the toureg.

With the extra cost of the diesel and the fact that current owners are averaging about 25mpg with the V6 TDI's, I don't think the extra thousands are anywhere near worth it. The TDI starts at $46K and goes as high as $58K. For a car estimated at 19/28, it really is not worth it, IMO. I would rather save $10,000 or more and get 18mpg and also pay less per gallon of fuel to boot.

I would slay that we all take very good care of our CX 9, V6 motors so we won't have to worry about the future engine options! My 09 has 71K on the clock and the only maintenance needed have been the front brake pad replacement along with turning the rotors. Car will never get "good" MPG but it has been a super dependable vehicle and absolutely wonderful for long mileage trips across this beautiful U.S.A!

Mazda got to be very happy with their investment in Skyactiv technologies.
The new Mazda3, though with only the Skyactiv-G, easily won this comparison test
among all sedans that deliver 40mpg.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/40-mpg-compact-sedan-comparison.html?page=3

Mazda spent too much resources on rotary engines, trying to make it work.
In the end, the MPG simply prevents it from becoming mainstream.
Now, these guys are on the right track. I am a fan of any company trying to
innovate new technologies.

Now, give me a Skyactiv V6 (3.0-3.5L) in next CX9, then, I will be super happy.

I wholeheartedly agree about the rotary. I still believe the Rx-8 would have been a smash hit had it had a "regular" engine or turbo. I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Why Mazda stayed with the rotary and wasted so much resources on it is beyond my comprehension.

What baffles me now is they don't want to invest in "zoom-zoom" skyactive. I don't care if they get 190-200 hp out of a I4, it just AIN'T gonna cut it in the CX-9. Plus I'd consider a zoom-zoom version of the CX-5 with more hp, etc. What will the Speed3 get? My 2010 CX-9 with the 270hp is "adequate". Anything less, and I won't even consider it. I live near Philly where many highways still have ancient on-ramps that are about 60 yards long, and POWER and TORQUE are required to merge safely. Just my $.02

I wholeheartedly agree about the rotary. I still believe the Rx-8 would have been a smash hit had it had a "regular" engine or turbo. I would have bought one in a heartbeat. Why Mazda stayed with the rotary and wasted so much resources on it is beyond my comprehension.

What baffles me now is they don't want to invest in "zoom-zoom" skyactive. I don't care if they get 190-200 hp out of a I4, it just AIN'T gonna cut it in the CX-9. Plus I'd consider a zoom-zoom version of the CX-5 with more hp, etc. What will the Speed3 get? My 2010 CX-9 with the 270hp is "adequate". Anything less, and I won't even consider it. I live near Philly where many highways still have ancient on-ramps that are about 60 yards long, and POWER and TORQUE are required to merge safely. Just my $.02

About Rotary, Mazda has NOT given it up yet. The rumor has it that Mazda is using it as the "generator" of their own
hybrid system. Apparently, Mazda claims that rotary is a best fit as a generator (and I agree), and it can burns almost
any fuel w/o major changes. This could be interesting if the said hybrid can use "any fuel".
We will see about that.

The turbo I4 2.0L EcoBoost of Ford outputs 240hp/270ft-lb, not the 200hp you talked about.
I would expect at least same level of output from Mazda.
Also, the weight reduction of 10% or more is expected from the next CX9 from use of ultra-high-tensile
steel (>700MPa). The bumper bars (front and rear) of CX5 are of 1800MPa grade, the highest ever used in any automobile.
Weight saving of about 10Kg from these two bumper bars.

Man what a depressing thread. Mazda is one of my favorite marques. For them to only offer 4 bangers is depressing. I wish they would just write of CA and make the best cars they can instead.

I wish they would have gone the other way and put a small V8 in the CX9. A Chrysler like MDS system might have gotten the MPG up there for economy.

Our governments are killing our industries with their insane regulations.

The one option for me is to keep my 2010 CX9 and rebuild what ever breaks or wears out for the next 20 some years.

The only possibility of a new Mazda in my future looks to be the Miata/Alfa-Romeo project.

Sad.

Man what a depressing thread. Mazda is one of my favorite marques. For them to only offer 4 bangers is depressing. I wish they would just write of CA and make the best cars they can instead.

I wish they would have gone the other way and put a small V8 in the CX9. A Chrysler like MDS system might have gotten the MPG up there for economy.

Our governments are killing our industries with their insane regulations.

The one option for me is to keep my 2010 CX9 and rebuild what ever breaks or wears out for the next 20 some years.

The only possibility of a new Mazda in my future looks to be the Miata/Alfa-Romeo project.

Sad.

I realize that it is impossible for any manufacturer to say "the heck with California environmental regs" and only build a car to national specs. There are just too many people/ sales in that state to ignore.

But it is an interesting concept. Would the voters in that state throw out all of the environmental regs if you could no longer buy a new Car that wasn't a hybrid or ev in the state of California? Or would they just go without gas powered new cars? It would be very interesting to see how that would work out.

The kid that works for me just bought a new CX5 GT and it is a great looking and handling vehicle but it is definitely lacking in acceleration. I know a diesel will help this a good bit, but diesel is still somewhat difficult to locate in areas away from major highways. Plus I still cannot help but think it would still be too little motor for a vehicle the size of a CX9. To ignore a gas V6 option for this vehicle will surely result in many negative reviews and plummeting sales as a result. it will most likely result in the death of the CX9 model

I just sat down to read the latest Motor Trend and found an article about the new 2013 escape

They basically state that the 240hp ecoboost motor is excellent in the new escape but terrible in the new explorer. The explorer is just too much vehicle for that engine but the escape is just about perfect.

Mazda should learn from the mistakes of their former cohorts

Don't rule out the possibility that Mazda will continue to outsource a V6 engine
from Ford or Toyota with their own turbo-Skyactiv-G 2.0L as the base engine
on next CX9.
(quote Mazda US VP's words, "Mazda is not developing a Skyactiv V6")

Also possible is that Mazda is working on a 2.4L/2.5L I4 Skyactiv-G.
If this is true, Mazda can offer three gas engine choices.
1) 2.0L
2) 2.4/2,5L
3) 2.4/2.5L + turbo
If Ford's turbo 2.0L can generate 240hp/270ft-lb, the 2.5L-T can generate
close to 300hp/310+ft-lb, more than sufficient for CX9.

Last edited:
I just sat down to read the latest Motor Trend and found an article about the new 2013 escape

They basically state that the 240hp ecoboost motor is excellent in the new escape but terrible in the new explorer. The explorer is just too much vehicle for that engine but the escape is just about perfect.

Mazda should learn from the mistakes of their former cohorts

That is partly because Explorer is too heavy (at 4550lbs+).
Mazda will cut down weight by at least 10% (their target has been 15%).

10%? Damn. That goal seems insufficient and doesn't encourage me much. If they trimmed all that and step the horsepower down, it's a wash. Maybe the fuel economy will catch up with everyone else, though.

My worries? Will it be at the cost of even thinner metal and more/cheaper plastic? An uninspiring engine? Thinner seats? Less durable components? Towing capacity? Roll and crash safety?

Mess with any of these and you'll dilute Mazda's slim brand advantage.

You can tinker with the engine, tranny and frame weights to a small degree, but losing the AWD is the quickest way to jettison weight. That won't be too popular.

I honestly have no idea how Mazda plans to update this vehicle, but I would like to see it go on a diet. A major frame overhaul, a slightly shorter wheelbase with better turning and a trimmer, more aerodynamic body style. And better mileage numbers, for sure.

At the end of the day, the CX-9 is a big-framed luxury SUV that is saddled with many upscale attributes. Barely OK by today's standards (it guzzles fuel but drives nice and looks sharp).

But car models need to get BETTER every year to survive. If the CX-9 fails to keep pace with the rest of Mazda's "sky-active" improvements, it will jump to the bottom of shoppers lists. Especially if they start asking - "Where's the Zoom-Zoom"?

Last edited:
I'm going to predict the 2.2L Diesel. That is capable of giving you the power you need. Match it with a robust transmission and you're good to go.

Right now as I see it, that would be the perfect vehicle for the needs of me and my family.

(secretly praying for a diesel)

IMHO, the 2.2D is too weak to propel next CX9.
(it's rated at 174hp/310ft-lb).

Mazda needs a 2.4/2.5D variant for CX9.

That may be the best we can hope for. Huge torque at 2000rpm would move the "lighter" frame off the line quickly and improve the low speed, gas-guzzling, round-in-circles type of driving I do (on an island). Combined with more agile handling and shifting, maybe less body roll. Better MPG. Could be a good thing,.. guess I'll keep and open mind.

Would it be as much fun on the highway?

It would be more fun. No crazy downshifting required. Just power right there when you need it.

Done right it will be nice and have plenty of power. I would imagine they could program it pretty nice.

Based on this article,
http://speedydaddy.com/new-2014-mazda-6-to-get-skyactiv-d-turbo-diesel-engine/

It mentions that Mazda is working on a Skyactiv-G 2.5, targeting at 200+hp/200+ft-lb.
This version of G will be standard on new Mazda6, and optional for CX5. The Skyactiv-D 2.2,
which is already available on CX5 outside USA, will come to USA in 2013 on 2014 CX5, and
will be optional on Mazda6 also.

If CX9 is indeed getting a turbo I4 Skyactiv-G (words from a Mazda US VP),
I am betting that it will be a Skyactiv-G 2.5L Turbo. (not a 2.0L Turbo as Ford's)
My estimate is that it will output ~300+hp/330ft-lb, beating current MZI 3.7L.

Whether Mazda will develop a bigger diesel engine than 2.2L remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Based on this article,
http://speedydaddy.com/new-2014-mazda-6-to-get-skyactiv-d-turbo-diesel-engine/

It mentioned that Mazda is working on a Skyactiv-G 2.5, targeting at 200+hp/200+ft-lb.
This version of G will be standard on new Mazda6, and optional for CX5. The Skyactiv-D 2.2,
which is already available on CX5 outside USA, will come to USA in 2013 on 2014 CX5, and
will be optional on Mazda6 also.

If CX9 is indeed getting a turbo I4 Skyactiv-G (words from a Mazda US VP),
I am betting that it will be a Skyactiv-G 2.5L Turbo. (not a 2.0L Turbo as Ford's)
My estimate is that it will output ~300+hp/330ft-lb, beatting current MZI 3.7L.

Whether Mazda will develop a bigger diesel engine than 2.2L remains to be seen.

A Mazda rep has already told me the North American 2014 Mazda6 will have one engine at launch and it is a SKYACTIV-G. The SKYACTIV-D will debut in the CX-5 first. Time will tell if we see it in the Mazda6.

Still very curious about the 2014 CX-9, as all reports do say a force-fed engine will be the one they use.

Haven't really heard much about any other variant of the SkyActiv-D besides the 2.2L but Mazda have indicated in the past that the SkyActiv-G engines would range from 1.5L through to 2.5L. I have a feeling that the new 6 would most likely employ a 2.5L skyactiv-g, with the possibility of the 2.0L being used as a base entry level model. With the Hatchback bodystyle of the next gen 6 being dropped in favour of a '4 door coupe', i can't help but wonder if this '4 door coupe' will become the basis for the next 6 MPS /Mazdaspeed6. If the MPS does make a come back, it could be possible that it would have a turbocharged engine that could make its way into the next CX-9.

Back