Is painting the valve cover ricey?

How many miles have you got on it ? I am past 63,000 now and it makes me a bit nervous to try to reuse the original. Also, the donor one that I got doesn't have the gaskets/covers/whatever you want to call them on the inside covering where the PCV comes thru and whatnot. I was told that a new gasket kit has both of these pieces included........

RaiderMP5 said:
I reused my gasket and it does not leak. Odd, as I always had to swap em out on older cars...

Yaggie1 said:
How many miles have you got on it ? I am past 63,000 now and it makes me a bit nervous to try to reuse the original. Also, the donor one that I got doesn't have the gaskets/covers/whatever you want to call them on the inside covering where the PCV comes thru and whatnot. I was told that a new gasket kit has both of these pieces included........

I reused my gasket when I did mine, but I did get paint on the PCV valve gasket,but it hasnt seemed to cause any problems....yet.

I pulled the old PCV gasket off of my valve cover, as well as the rubber part and moved them to the new vavle cover. I have $43,600 miles on my car, and no problems. I too was skeptical, but have heard of other guys reusing theirs. Of course, I am in FL, so no snow, salt, etc.

Are you guys talking about the little rubber o-ring that the PCV goes into ? I am talking about the ones on the inside of the valve cover. Check out the pic attached. It shows where my donor valve cover is missing some stuff. You can see the leftover gasket material on there. But, there are metal plates that cover these voids.

Attachments

• DSC02099.JPG
    DSC02099.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 138
MyZmZm said:
I got mine powdercoated smoked chrome last fall, and absolutely love it. Subtle, but it stands out. My only problem is that I now want to do the whole damn engine, haha.
That's the first ever painted valve cover I've seen that I really like. Besides that, my personal preference is the plastic covers that come with MSPs and MP3s (or the DGM CF one but that's effing pricey).

But no, I wouldn't call any well-done valve cover rice.

Yaggie1 said:
Are you guys talking about the little rubber o-ring that the PCV goes into ? I am talking about the ones on the inside of the valve cover. Check out the pic attached. It shows where my donor valve cover is missing some stuff. You can see the leftover gasket material on there. But, there are metal plates that cover these voids.

Oh man, mine was complete. I was thinking of the little o-ring part.

blackp5ca said:
Here is an old pre-turbo picture...VHT red wrinkle paint on valve cover.
under%20hood.JPG

You painted your power steering pump ? With a paint brush or spay ? high heat paint ?

At one point I had..cleaned it up quite a bit..I used to be very anal about the car..after 5 years..the novelty has worn off a little. It was a combination of spray and brush (there were no brush marks)..not high temp..
The only clean part of the car these days is the interior..
Int%20oct.JPG

I'm painting mine. Infact its at the shop with my car. Its going to be the same custom paint that I had mixed up. Dark black with a slight blue mica. It will match my hood and the leters will be polished then cleared.

Any suggestions on what paint to use for the headers? There are a number of "high-heat" paint options at AutoZone, from engine block proof to break caliper proof. All have similar heat zones. I painted the headers on my Honda years ago and ended up with a smoking engine as the paint litterally burned off. I used that so-called "high-heat" paint, followed directions and all. It lasted about 5min at idol speed. GRRR!

As in all design stuff, I should probably test a small corner and see what happens.

Back