is it worth doing any performance mods?

96mazduh

Was wondering if it is even worth doing any performance mods on my 96 protege LX 1.5L... The engine and tranny are in great shape - really goes pretty good for a little 1.5... I was thinking of re-routing the air filter box and putting on my K+N type cone filter.... What would be the easiest mods to gain most HP out of this motor - or is it even worth it? (hah) (huh)

Also I feel sort of uncomfortable with the stock seats in this car - anyone know off hand any seats that would be bolt-in interchangeable/compatible?

1 more thing - about to replace the stock tape player with my Eclipse deck (GREAT cd deck by the way - its been in so many cars the wires have been cut so many times and are almost too short to connect! Great sound and going on 10+ years with no problems and had been hooked up to 4 JL audio subs + 2 amps - 3 rca outputs make for multiple amp installation) ANYWAYS.... back from the tangent i dont have the stock radio removal tools - any way around this>?

any input appreciated - thanks (lol) (thinkbeer)

Last edited:
honestly, the best thing you could do for power is to swap in a turbo 1.8 liter from Japan. the 1.5 isn't going to gain much power from basic bolt ons. any seat you purchase, say a racing seat from the aftermarket, will probably require custom bracketry to fit properly.

Latest posts

Back