Is it bad to drive with the DSC off all the time?

Karma_hunden said:
Hm. I have taken accidental drifts on sharp turns (stupid 1 second yellow lights lol) and the car does the usual understeer, pops a bit sideways and grabs the curve on rails..its beautiful, the whole time, with the DSC light blinkin (I had DSC on)...I does reall do anything out of the ordinary that could make you lose control, in fact, I never lost confindence the whole time it happened. It was so fun i punched it after I got out of the curve till 4th...I just had to hehe.

I would say leave it on. It's just a button that RIGHT NEXT to you, dont be lazy and click it whenever you are about to punch it.
Haha... I leave mine on too. I took it at almost 100mph around a "S" turn going to the freeway just to see if it would take it. It was like heaven! I think the only time it is turned off for me is in the dirt or on the track.

Elicious said:
What are you talking about? I've never heard of DSC systems locking up tires.

It has nothing to do with driver skill. A computer will calculate and apply the proper amount of braking required faster than a human can even think about it. The human just needs to react to the emergency and steer away, and that's where DSC will beat a human.

haha noob. the DSC controls braking, based on 5 coefficients..and yes it can lock up tires.

and if a human is cornering, begins to slip slightly, the human then begins to react based on what real world physics and experience that said human has. If the DSC engages and reacts to the slide(even though the stated human is already in the process of correction) it may cause more of a disaster then in the DSC was off.

i.e. i had a close call on state street one night last winter, where i was turning left onto state. i guess a tire hit some ice or something towards the end of the turn(the car was not sliding, no danger), and DSC locked up my front driver tire only. sending the back of my car sliding. DSC then kicked in on the other tires to contol that slide that IT HAD CREATED! to conclude the story i nearly dinged a rim on the median, because of DSC, when if i would have had it off..i would have taken the corner just fin.

pHeeL tHiZ ViBe said:
haha noob. the DSC controls braking, based on 5 coefficients..and yes it can lock up tires.

and if a human is cornering, begins to slip slightly, the human then begins to react based on what real world physics and experience that said human has. If the DSC engages and reacts to the slide(even though the stated human is already in the process of correction) it may cause more of a disaster then in the DSC was off.

i.e. i had a close call on state street one night last winter, where i was turning left onto state. i guess a tire hit some ice or something towards the end of the turn(the car was not sliding, no danger), and DSC locked up my front driver tire only. sending the back of my car sliding. DSC then kicked in on the other tires to contol that slide that IT HAD CREATED! to conclude the story i nearly dinged a rim on the median, because of DSC, when if i would have had it off..i would have taken the corner just fin.

Why would the DSC be programmed to lock up a tire? If it did that, then it's obviously not intended. What sense would it make for the DSC to be programmed lock up tire(s)? Faulty programming or a faulty unit, I would get that looked at if you haven't already. If it's just a faulty unit it can be replaced. But if it's faulty programming we're all SOL. The ABS should have sensed wheel lockup and released tension on the brakes. If my wheels ever locked up I'd get it checked out. That's what ABS is there to prevent.

Elicious said:
WOW!!!! And how did people meet up at places before cell phones? How did people exchange information before the internet?

Please. Technology makes life more convenient, more safe, and gnerally allows people a higher standard of living. If you don't think DSC, TCS, ABS, EBD, or airbags makes today's cars safer, you're wrong.

Don't compare cell phones and the internet to the post you responded to. PLEASE. Everyone has a cell phone, and it's part of life. We have learned to integrate those things into our life, and they have become necessary and needed to us. Most cars on the road today DO NOT have DSC, so it's truly an extra safety feature most do not use or need, but would like to have for extra help in case they get into trouble. If the Speed 6 didn't have DSC (which most cars on road do not, and it already has ABS and AWD), would people say OOOOOH THIS CAR IS UNSAFE, I BETTER GET A CAR THAT HAS DSC?

Turn off the DSC whenever you want, but keep in mind that if it's off in bad weather you still have the AWD advantage over about 90% of all cars on the road, and 99%+ of Subarus out there on the road currently, which don't have DSC, and Subaru is selling thair NON-DSC AWD cars like hot cakes. It's an extra safetly feature, but the fact is, it CANNOT save you, and if people drive safely in bad weather, they truly DO NOT need this feature. Nice to have though, but since most people on the road still do not have it and they aren't crashing into everything, It's a bit overrated, and many times gives people an excuse to drive faster in bad weather, therefore negating it's purpose. ;)

MS6S2K said:
Don't compare cell phones and the internet to the post you responded to. PLEASE. Everyone has a cell phone, and it's part of life. We have learned to integrate those things into our life, and they have become necessary and needed to us. Most cars on the road today DO NOT have DSC, so it's truly an extra safety feature most do not use or need, but would like to have for extra help in case they get into trouble. If the Speed 6 didn't have DSC (which most cars on road do not, and it already has ABS and AWD), would people say OOOOOH THIS CAR IS UNSAFE, I BETTER GET A CAR THAT HAS DSC?

Turn off the DSC whenever you want, but keep in mind that if it's off in bad weather you still have the AWD advantage over about 90% of all cars on the road, and 99%+ of Subarus out there on the road currently, which don't have DSC, and Subaru is selling thair NON-DSC AWD cars like hot cakes. It's an extra safetly feature, but the fact is, it CANNOT save you, and if people drive safely in bad weather, they truly DO NOT need this feature. Nice to have though, but since most people on the road still do not have it and they aren't crashing into everything, It's a bit overrated, and many times gives people an excuse to drive faster in bad weather, therefore negating it's purpose. ;)

Smart man!!!

way to put it MS6S2K. it's unfair that you have a speed and an s2k. shame on you. i have a friend with an s2k and they're really nice cars. still, he refuses to run me. i think he's afraid he might get embarrassed. haha.

controlo said:
way to put it MS6S2K. it's unfair that you have a speed and an s2k. shame on you. i have a friend with an s2k and they're really nice cars. still, he refuses to run me. i think he's afraid he might get embarrassed. haha.

He's smart to not run you, unless it involves turning. They are darn near even in a perfect world regarding straight line power actually, but it's so much harder to drive an S2K fast (below 6krpms it's basically a 150hp car), so it will take a better driver in an S2K to equal or edge out a Speed 6 in a straight line. The Speed 6 is gun it and go. It's simply so much easier to go fast in. If you don't shift perfectly in the S2K, and fall out of vtec for even a few seconds, you'll never recover against torquey turbo cars that put out similiar 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times. You flat out have to abuse the S2K to get it to run anywhere near the 14.0 some tests have shown. I don't wanna even think about how badly they abused that car to run that time. It is NOT a drag car in any way, shape or form. It's purely about spirited driving and agile handling.

Now I had an 01 S2K before my 06, and the 06 is a bit faster (displacement went up to 2.2 from 04+, and even though it's rated at the same HP, dynos show about 5-10 more whp as well. Of course in windy roads, the Speed 6 is toast. The S2K handling is just so impressive, even if it lacks the torque to get out and go easily with little skill. That's why I own both. Two entirely different cars, each possessing what the other does not. One car falls on it's face by 6000rpms, the other is just starting to accelerate. The S2K will make you a better driver though, I can assure you of that. If you can master an S2K, you can hop into a torquey car and be amazed at how easy it is to go fast. :)

I think DSC started out more for FWD and RWD cars. Turning off the DSC in a 400+ HP RWD car is asking for trouble. In FWD cars it really just reminds you that you have no traction and your car is going to understeer like crazy if you keep on the gas. With AWD, it basically prevents you from reaching the limits of the car. You see car review TV shows drive a track with and without the DSC and really all it equates to is additional oversteer which in the hands of an inexperienced or unexpecting driver could lead to disaster.

My take is...if you hit a snow bank with the DSC off in the middle of a storm, you deserve a big "told you so". Otherwise, have fun.

I turn it off just to aviod the annoying decel from accelerating over a bump. It feels like the front of the car wants to go forward and the rear of the car wants to stay put. The sorry roads in Denver all have terrible bumps and potholes. It is not possible to avoid a bump or hole across the entire road, and the DSC hits the brakes every time. It doesn't take much to trigger the bad reaction, so I just hit the button when I start the car.

MS6S2K said:
He's smart to not run you, unless it involves turning. They are darn near even in a perfect world regarding straight line power actually, but it's so much harder to drive an S2K fast (below 6krpms it's basically a 150hp car), so it will take a better driver in an S2K to equal or edge out a Speed 6 in a straight line. The Speed 6 is gun it and go. It's simply so much easier to go fast in. If you don't shift perfectly in the S2K, and fall out of vtec for even a few seconds, you'll never recover against torquey turbo cars that put out similiar 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times. You flat out have to abuse the S2K to get it to run anywhere near the 14.0 some tests have shown. I don't wanna even think about how badly they abused that car to run that time. It is NOT a drag car in any way, shape or form. It's purely about spirited driving and agile handling.

Now I had an 01 S2K before my 06, and the 06 is a bit faster (displacement went up to 2.2 from 04+, and even though it's rated at the same HP, dynos show about 5-10 more whp as well. Of course in windy roads, the Speed 6 is toast. The S2K handling is just so impressive, even if it lacks the torque to get out and go easily with little skill. That's why I own both. Two entirely different cars, each possessing what the other does not. One car falls on it's face by 6000rpms, the other is just starting to accelerate. The S2K will make you a better driver though, I can assure you of that. If you can master an S2K, you can hop into a torquey car and be amazed at how easy it is to go fast. :)
I actually enjoyed your post about the comparison of the two cars (i.e. this post). Hehe.

Back on topic (inout)

^^ Yeah, I got away with myself there because I love both my cars for two entirely different reasons, and I felt the desire to give some straight up objective info. :) Back to topic.

I have DSC in both my cars, and it's a great added feature. However, I've driven a lot over the years, with most cars not having this, so I do believe in the end it's all about the way you drive. If you buy a Legacy GT without that option, or even an STI or a regular WRX without it, are you really unsafe? Definitely not. I never needed DSC, and I don't need it now. However, knowing it's there, I never turn it off in my Speed 6, because that is my daily driver and there's really no need for me to, and I do drive in a lot of bad conditions with that car, so I enjoy the peace of mind, and extra safety with the possible unexpected things that can even happen to the best and safest drivers.

The S2K, well that's often turned off, because I truly do not need it, and I used this car the way it should be used, for pure fun and thrills. I don't even drive the car in rain, so I only have it because starting in 06 they added it standard, so it was just an extra thing that will never be needed.

chuyler1 said:
Do you think the DSC is the reason why we have so much front brake dust? Does it really use the brakes to transfer power to the rear?

i don't know what you are comparing it to, but for the most part foreign cars have softer brake pads, which obviously aid in better and more controled braking, but also shorten the life of the brake pad, and produce more dust. Other cars, namely american made, generally have harder brake pads, which create less dust

Just for input, i had my car in 3rd and had the RPMs around 5 or 6 grand and came up on a turn really fast and was tryin to go before this huge line of traffic... But obviously i was going to fast so the car started to slide sideways but then I could feel it correct and gripped the road and i was gone! So driving with it off may have been a bad idea in this situation.

LesteR723 said:
i don't know what you are comparing it to, but for the most part foreign cars have softer brake pads, which obviously aid in better and more controled braking, but also shorten the life of the brake pad, and produce more dust. Other cars, namely american made, generally have harder brake pads, which create less dust

I think it has more to do with performance foreign cars than foreign cars in general. I never had this sort of dust problem on my Protege5 and my driving habits haven't changed very much at all. I've got 7K on the MS6 now and I'm thinking about swapping out the pads for something harder.

The car can stop from 70-0 MPH in 155 ft, and you want to mess with that? Not many cars can do that and they usually cost upwards of $100K+.

The DSC uses the brakes and if you are an...aggressive driver... it will create more dust. But, I don't care about dust when I need to stop.

I think the last few people have gotten it correct.

Drive with DSC off its no big deal honestly. Your car isnt going to flip over the second you turn it off.

If your driving completely retarded.... for example going into a sharp turn at 60 mph or something. No amount of DSC is going to save you from crashing.

Maybe in really bad weather, like snow or ice with DSC actually help you. But just like above, it can only do so much. If you are really out of control it wont matter.

DSC or Traction control for me only seemed benifitial in a car like a corvette. Turning or coming out of corner with too much throttle would cause the back tires to break loose and fish tail. Thats why traction control or DSC would be there to prevent that.

just to get my say in i only take it off at the track.. but it is kinda fun in a parking lot to see how much u can get the car sideways before the AWD kicks in and kicks u back. i wouldnt trust it in turns if ur going fast though. so thats why i leave it on all the time driving around daily to and from work. did notice a big launch difference at the track so id say if ur dragging leave it off just dont forget to turn it on when ur going home.(drive)

svaed lives?

DSC has definitely saved me some heart stopping moments. I had to slam on the breaks through a curve once and that was bad news but the DSC turned it into a little tail waggle and that was that.

Latest posts

Back