Is it bad to drive with the DSC off all the time?

snooky

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
i turn the DCS off every time i drive the car, just wondering if it would cause any problems down the road.

tHank again

some reason i feel like i can make my car go faster by turning it off, it might just be in my head though

driving with the DSC off is completely safe! in fact its probably better for your brakes, cuz everytime you lose traction with the DSC on, your brakes will do a quick grab on the rotors to stop the slippage.

Do you think the DSC is the reason why we have so much front brake dust? Does it really use the brakes to transfer power to the rear?

I would advise against turning off the DSC in wet or snowy weather. For dry pavement you should be fine with it off unless you are taking the car to the limits of traction and you aren't prepared for what will happen when you do that. On the track is one thing...where the pavement is consistant on every corner...but on the road, you could hit a pach of sand, a pothole, a bump, or whatever and when you are at the limits of traction it can cause the car to lose control and without DSC you may not be able to bring it back in time. It is a safety mechanism...to prevent you from doing something stupid.

yes i think that the DSC does contribute to the front brake dust, but my brakes haven't been creating much dust lately. they must be broken in lol.

but yes he is right..it is a safety mechanism...and if you're not a good driver then it could save your life. but i honestly think that it can be a disadvantage to a good driver. and may even lead to an accident, the way it locks up single tires at a time is very odd and can cause the car to do unexpected things when traction is minimal.

Hm. I have taken accidental drifts on sharp turns (stupid 1 second yellow lights lol) and the car does the usual understeer, pops a bit sideways and grabs the curve on rails..its beautiful, the whole time, with the DSC light blinkin (I had DSC on)...I does reall do anything out of the ordinary that could make you lose control, in fact, I never lost confindence the whole time it happened. It was so fun i punched it after I got out of the curve till 4th...I just had to hehe.

I would say leave it on. It's just a button that RIGHT NEXT to you, dont be lazy and click it whenever you are about to punch it.

forsur ein wet or snowy weather its on trust me i live in montreal so....... but in the summer i feel like the DSC takes away from the fun and wildness the car was ment for yano? im not gonna be taking corners at 50km or n e thing, so i cant see the harm. I do agree though if the driver is inexperienced they should always have it on.

Karma_hunden said:
I would say leave it on. It's just a button that RIGHT NEXT to you, dont be lazy and click it whenever you are about to punch it.

yes i agree, i have mine on most of the time. unless i plan on 'gettin em loose' hah.

WOW!!!! I have no idea how anyone drove a car safely without DSC or antilock brakes or airbags just a mere 10 to 15 years ago. How is anyone alive today??? (sarcasm, if anyone missed it!)

pHeeL tHiZ ViBe said:
yes i think that the DSC does contribute to the front brake dust, but my brakes haven't been creating much dust lately. they must be broken in lol.

but yes he is right..it is a safety mechanism...and if you're not a good driver then it could save your life. but i honestly think that it can be a disadvantage to a good driver. and may even lead to an accident, the way it locks up single tires at a time is very odd and can cause the car to do unexpected things when traction is minimal.

What are you talking about? I've never heard of DSC systems locking up tires. That would do the opposite of what it's meant to do. DSC is there to help you maintain traction. W/O it, you can lose traction during emergency maneuvers and thus, losing control of your car.

It has nothing to do with driver skill. A computer will calculate and apply the proper amount of braking required faster than a human can even think about it. The human just needs to react to the emergency and steer away, and that's where DSC will beat a human.

Yes, I bought a fast car but the safety of myself, my passengers, and the people on the road with me is more important than getting a faster launch, because that is where DSC will slow you down.

Jonesy32 said:
WOW!!!! I have no idea how anyone drove a car safely without DSC or antilock brakes or airbags just a mere 10 to 15 years ago. How is anyone alive today??? (sarcasm, if anyone missed it!)

WOW!!!! And how did people meet up at places before cell phones? How did people exchange information before the internet?

Please. Technology makes life more convenient, more safe, and gnerally allows people a higher standard of living. If you don't think DSC, TCS, ABS, EBD, or airbags makes today's cars safer, you're wrong.

okay lets just say, DSC off is Is appropriate on the track, dragging. Buy for everyday driving it can help save your life for that split second when applying the brakes in an emergency.

Exactly. If someone wants to turn DSC off for a hard launch, that's cool, but I wouldn't drive around with it off all the time.

Even an good driver can be caught off guard.

Can you imagine a slippery substance (or even water) on an otherwise dry road that you didn't see because of darkness or a momentary lapse of attention?

I can.

Jonesy32 said:
Seat belts have never saved my life. That doesn't mean that they are useless or that it's a good idea for me not to wear them.

Back