iPod integration module vs. BT audio in a 2009

clandestine

:
2009 CX-9 GT AWD w/GT Assist and Moonroof/Bose in black cherry
most of the iPod threads seem old or outdated or don't address my question. I've got a 2009 GT w/navi which supports bluetooth audio, but the iPhone OS 2 release doesn't support it. for those paying attention, you know Apple announced a couple of weeks ago that OS 3 ~will support BT audio, which I'm very happy about.

I haven't yet had my options installed so what I'm wondering is, does BT audio make the iPod integration module obsolete? does anyone have any experience with BT audio on other players to have a good word on this? from what I gather the integration is pretty weak from a features standpoint especially in terms of the display... the most useful feature being able to control the unit from the steering wheel. my guess would be that the BT audio will support that, and the only thing missing would be the charging which I'm happy doing separately.

I've played with the BT audio and my Blackberry Curve. While the audio quality is very good (I think better than the aux port iPod interface), it really stinks that no track information is displayed.

I checked with Mazda support, and they confirmed that the audio interface will not display artist and track info, even though the fields are displayed when you use that screen. I guess A2DP doesn't support this?

It does automatically connect, but I have to start the media player on my phone before the BT audio remote control starts working. Kinda cumbersome.

A2DP: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (AA -> A2)
AVRCP: Audio/Video Remote Control Profile.
As you can see above, you would need AVRCP to support controlling tracks from Mazda thru BT interface. If one of the two parties does not support AVRCP, then, you can't. Check your cell phone for a set of profiles that it current supports (should be under BT settings, etc.).

I have BT A2DP headset for a while, I am not impressed. The quality (SNR - signal/noise ratio) is closer to FM, not CD quality. All you get is convenience. Besides, it eats battery juice like crazy. I only use it (A2DP headset) while exercising or jogging, when wiring is annoying.

I have both A2DP and AVRCP enabled on my Blackberry.

Once I start a playlist on the phone, it is nice to be able to jump forward or back from the steering wheel, but you are flying blind without the track information on the screen.

I find the quality from the BT Audio pretty good, from the sampling I did by cycling through the different media sources.

Good point about the battery drain with these 2 additional BT profiles enabled. I haven't check that out yet.

Thanks for the word - this is all new to me.

I'm less worried about the power drain. If I'm on a short ride it won't have enough time to do any significant damage, and on drives longer than 20 - 30 minutes I'll be plugging it into the charger anyway. But I am hoping to avoid the integration module since the hardware and install quoted by the dealer was really high. My main concern is with functionality and quality, and 2 separate cables to charge and pipe the signal is annoying.

Maybe I'll just keep the 8 gig Touch I was planning on selling and leaving it in the middle console. Just have 3 or 4 playlists depending on my mood and hit shuffle, and take it out once in a while to refresh the playlists.

Last edited:
Back