Interesting comparison: CX-5 vs NX

Pretty spot on IMO. If Mazda ever gets the diesel or 2.5T (or next gen 2.5 'X' motor) here, it won't even be a competition.

18 got pummeled in real world city ... 19.x mpg. Wow my worst trip mpg over 20k miles in gen1 has been 22.5 and best has been 39. what has mazda done?

18 got pummeled in real world city ... 19.x mpg. Wow my worst trip mpg over 20k miles in gen1 has been 22.5 and best has been 39. what has mazda done?

I think it's more likely that it's: 'what have the MT drivers done'? lol

Amazing, almost totally one-sided victory for the Mazda. Yet their conclusion waffles. Typical MT BS.

My favorite line from the article:

"If your roads are straight, you’ll be quicker in the Lexus, but if they’re curved or if you just enjoy driving, you’ll want the Mazda."

I think there are more people than MT seeing this, which could explain the sharp increase in sales.

If Mazda could get the 2.5-T or a 200 HP engine into the CX-5, it would really sell even more. I personally believe that a 40K CX-5 would still sell, and sell very well.

Why they didn't option the Lexus with AWD is anyone's guess. Well done, Mazda.

My guess is they tried to keep the price gap closer. The style of the Lexus and the severely angled rear window that cuts into real world cargo capacity is a deal killer.

Saw first review of mazda6 with 2.5 turbo. Man that thing needs to come to cx5. Awd turbo cx5. Amazing times for mazda. Could not imagine it would overtake Subaru in sales.

Forget the diesel, just put in the gas 2.5 turbo into the CX5, add the Napa leather and call it the AWD Signature Edition CX5. MSRP of $37k and the CX5 will win Motor Trend CUV of the year for 2019.

It will be fast and luxurious.

Mazda, are you listening? The above is a guaranteed winner. You can send me the royalty check later....

Saw first review of mazda6 with 2.5 turbo. Man that thing needs to come to cx5. Awd turbo cx5. Amazing times for mazda. Could not imagine it would overtake Subaru in sales.
Adding turbo for more power is nothing special but the fuel economy will suffer. What I really want is a engine/transmission setup like new 2019 Toyota RAV4 with more power AND better fuel efficiency on a naturally aspirated 2.5L I4 and an 8-speed step-automatic. Toyota's new 203hp Dynamic Force 2.5L naturally aspirated I4 has 15 more hp than a 2018 Mazda CX-5 without adding a turbo, and fuel economy with Direct Shift-8AT should be better than 2018 CX-5 too even without "cylinder deactivation" based on new 2018 Toyota Camry with the same engine/transmission setup. Mind you 2018 Camry base model has improved 7/5/8 combined/city/highway mpg on EPA estimates than 2017 Camry which is unbelievable!

Forget the diesel, just put in the gas 2.5 turbo into the CX5, add the Napa leather and call it the AWD Signature Edition CX5. MSRP of $37k and the CX5 will win Motor Trend CUV of the year for 2019.

It will be fast and luxurious.

Mazda, are you listening? The above is a guaranteed winner. You can send me the royalty check later....
So you want a CX-5 AWD with poor fuel economy closer to CX-9's 23/20/26 combined/city/highway EPA mpg than 26/24/30?

No, MT 2019 SUV of the Year will be Toyota RAV4.

I think youre right. Mazda CX-5 need a base model with 8 speed automatic and a better engine with direct/ port injection making 200+ hp.
Signature model with the 2.5 turbo and some goodies. To appeal some luxury suv they need: panoramic sunroof, 360 camera, bigger screen, lcd cockpit etc.. if you want to stay on the top list for shoppers.

I think you’re right. Mazda CX-5 need a base model with 8 speed automatic and a better engine with direct/ port injection making 200+ hp.
Signature model with the 2.5 turbo and some goodies. To appeal some luxury suv they need: panoramic sunroof, 360 camera, bigger screen, lcd cockpit etc.. if you want to stay on the top list for shoppers.

All I want from a "Signature model" is a Brembo brake option with 12inch+ rotors.

So you want a CX-5 AWD with poor fuel economy closer to CX-9's 23/20/26 combined/city/highway EPA mpg than 26/24/30?

No, MT 2019 SUV of the Year will be Toyota RAV4.

The CX9 weighs 1,000 LBS more than the CX5.

Yep. The turbo's torque advantage would allow them to use a taller final drive and make up some lost mpgs. I would think 22/28 would be possible, maybe more?

That's one nit-pick I have with my CX-5 -- It turns 2000 RPM going only 60mph in top gear.

I had planned on keeping my '17 CX-5 for at least five years, but a "Signature" turbo trim would have me trading mine in in a heartbeat.

With the 2.5T engine doing 31 highway mpg on the Mazda6, I think 28 highway mpg on the CX-5 would be probable, maybe...

With the 2.5T engine doing 31 highway mpg on the Mazda6, I think 28 highway mpg on the CX-5 would be probable, maybe...
Just compare a Mazda6 2.5T and a Camry V6, Camry V6 has much more horsepower but very similar EPA fuel economy, and a simple and reliable naturally aspirated engine to boot.

Comparing power vs fuel economy between 2018 Mazda6 and Camry, even 2.5T on Mazda6 won't help too much to revive sagging sales volume on Mazda6!

2018Mazda6 TouringMazda6 GTToyota Camry LToyota Camry XSEToyota Camry XLE V6
Engine
(87 octane)
2.5L I4
187hp@6,000rpm
2.5T I4
227hp@5,000rpm
2.5L I4
203hp@6600rpm
2.5L I4
206hp@6,800rpm
3.5L V6
301hp@6,600rpm
Automatic Transmission6-speed with Sport mode6-speed with Sport mode8-speed8-speed with Sport/Normal/Eco modes8-speed with Sport/Normal/Eco modes
EPA MPG combined/city/hwy29/26/3526/23/3134/29/4132/28/3926/22/33

Back