Intake Upgrade

16Dohcslow

:
00 Protege DX
So I ran into a deer with my 2001 1.6 A/t and with the insurance money bought a 2000 1.6 M/t... what can i say I love my protege. Anywho I've been attempting to make an awesome intake, which I have done but the problem is the intake piping is maybe 2" or 2"1/4 and it seems that the mass airflow sensor is not getting enough air to it so my car stalls, I've put my hand covering everything but where the air sensor is to get more air to it and it goes fine... any idea on what i should do, I know a small piping for the airflow sensor would work but that would take away from the air I'm getting from the larger piping which I already have... is there some quick easy way to make sure the sesnor is getting enough air without taking away from the air flow?

WE cant fix the maf reading problem.
You have 2 options
1) run an FPR and up the pressure by 5psi this gives the engine more gas even if the maf rading is low. Suppposedly works

2) run a signal interceptor adjust the maf reading to be where it should be.

3) I was playing around with the idea of a mesh or something to make sure the airflow was even strait through.

zerocover said:
WE cant fix the maf reading problem.
You have 2 options
1) run an FPR and up the pressure by 5psi this gives the engine more gas even if the maf rading is low. Suppposedly works

2) run a signal interceptor adjust the maf reading to be where it should be.

3) I was playing around with the idea of a mesh or something to make sure the airflow was even strait through.

I have been playing around with the mesh Idea because i have no idea how to do either option 1 or 2... mesh seems to work but it's not as efficient as it should be.. could explain option 2 more throughly because that seems to be more reliable the options 1 and 3

An idea would be to just use some panyhose as a mesh It should offer vitually no restriction and is elastic so its easy to install.

The signal interceptor can best be summed up here.
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2418/article.html

Running an FPR is still the only proven way to ward off the cel. You up the presusre 5 psi then the car learns around this and you drive like stock.

My mechanic friend Josh was explaining to me how the air sensor works and it can easily be bypassed without any disruption to the engine, something about using certain ohm resistors to make the car think it's getting cold air, and alot of air... something liek that I just need to figure out exactly how the air sensor works, how it reads cold air/ more air or less air, and what wires go to which

NOt a good idea. Our timing is based on the air temp. Colder air = more advanced. I dont think well get very much power out of it becuase the car is already taking it into account.

Pull out the maf sensor. Looking strait at it with the clip thing facing up its gonna be the second from your right, thats the pin. You can follow that wire all around from there. The resistance of that wire when compared to ground the wire all the way to teh right determines how cold the intake charge is. Its easy enough to just add the reisistor.

Last edited:
Well I've come to the conclusion that my custom spectre intake (you can buy the pieces at pep boys) is just to big to have an efficient airflow over the sensor so I am going to purchase an injen intake, looks very promising and I'm giving my custom y-ended intake to a friend with a civic.

Duh you could have said that in the first place the spectre is way too big and the maf is useless you need an intake pipe of around the same size. The injen is supposedly the only one that works out of the box.

Back