Installing Air suspension

Jamie123

:
2002 Mazda Protege5, 2010 Mazda5
started installing the air ride on my car yesterday thought id post the progress..

DSC_0643.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

added second battery, made template using cardboard then cut wood to make floor and carpeted it.
bolted it down using the factory spare tire bolt so you would need to drill a hole for it and
mounted compressors to it.
mounted air tank to a piece of wood i cut out and screwed it to the frame of the car.

DSC_0682.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

removed the rear well splash guards and mounted the valves, had to remove a metal brace that was riveted on
the valves being there support the plastic just like the metal did.
DSC_0668.jpg

Mounted behind back bumper.

DSC_0685.jpg

Last edited:
Sick. Is it a fully customized kit? What size is that air tank? I'll be going this route in the future. I might PM you for more details.

Sick. Is it a fully customized kit? What size is that air tank? I'll be going this route in the future. I might PM you for more details.

Air tank is 5 gallon i might look into getting another tank later on depending on how often the compressors kick on, the kit is just a standard universal kit i had to have a few things custom made and what not and i upgraded everything so that im running the best stuff they have. (bigger tank, bigger compressors, bigger hoses)
the compressors should fill my tank in less then 10 seconds :)
i had to do a lot of customizing so far and when im done ill make sure i post it all up and ill keep posting pics as i go.

Thats a huge tank. Does the tray cover still "cover" over it?
dont know lol everything isnt mounted yet but i dont plan on putting the cover back over it im gonna build a different floor and use plexy glass to make a window. the compressors need air if the cover does fit back over it i doubt it would be good to have it that way for the sake of the compressors.

Did some more work today just about have it finished spent 3 solid days on it lol
the biggest job out of all of it was making everything fit and getting all the hoses and wires in place... had to do some modifications to the struts to make the bags fit.
DSC_0704.jpg

Had to put a little notch in it for the hose, also painted them after cutting them so they didnt look all hacked up.
DSC_0758.jpg

DSC_0733.jpg

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

The rears...
DSC_0756.jpg

To remove stock springs you need to loosen up the sway bar remove bolt that holds rotor/knuckle and then loosen the top 2 bolts on the control arm
before loosening take a marker and mark the notches so u can realign it how it was since thats how you align the rear.
pull the control arm down it will give you a little more play on the spring so you can use spring compressors to compress the springs and pull them out.
The company i bought the kit from custom makes the perches for the air bags to fit your specific car.
stick the top of the perch in and pull the control arm down and the bottom will pop right in.
DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

Ran all hoses and wires through factory grommet hole and siliconed it shut when done.

Tomorrow ill have it done and ill have video and more pics.

Last edited:
Wow. Can you give a little more detail on how you did the rears? did you have to so something to make those perches hold the air bag?

DSC_0782.jpg

Rear all the way up.
DSC_0783.jpg

front all the way up.
DSC_0786.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

All the way down.
The front can go lower with a few more modifications that i will be doing later down the road but for now its fine.
DSC_0787.jpg

Heres a couple videos.

it sounds like the compressors are really loud but there not at all

HOLY COW! Those bags are fast! I was not expecting it to move that quickly.

Nice install, and thanks for taking the time to post the pics and vids!

How does it handle on the road? Does it have height sensor for every corner or its just based on pressure?
Looking good.

How does it handle on the road? Does it have height sensor for every corner or its just based on pressure?
Looking good.

When the bags are fully aired up or fully deflated its a little bit of a bumpy ride i drove over some train tracks today and it got a little crazy lol
but when the height is set to the normal factory height it rides good im happy with it.
and it is based on pressure.

Back