Installing a sub/amp in my MSP

njintau_fsd

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hi everyone!

Heh its been a while since I've posted here so pardon me if I sound like a n00b. I have an 03 MSP that I want to install an aftermarket sub and amp. I noticed that there seem to be connectors in the trunk that were unused which got me thinking that they might have been for the stock amp and sub (my car didn't have those, guess somebody jacked em before I bought the car..) My question is, are there aftermarket wiring harnesses out there that will help me connect my amp/sub to the stock connectors? Plus can anyone tell me what all the connections in the trunk are for? (I'll include pics of the connectors if anyone needs them...)I'm asking cuz I'm not big on electronics stuff, I'm more the mechanical guy, plus I figured it would save me some effort... Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

no, no very no! the crap spare tire sub pushes like 100 watts peak ILS (if lightning strikes) if you plan on putting an amplifier of any decency in, the garbage wiring for the OEM sub is not going to handle the power you are pulling. in fact, no wiring in your car is large enough to pull any real power (yes, including the starter, alternator, and grounding wires) so if you are going to be putting an amp in the car you must run power wire to it. now as for RCA's im not sure if you could steal some kind of signal line off the spare tire sub? but since you are running power wire anyways, you might as well just run RCA's too (on the other side of the car) while your at it.

as for the rando other harnesses in your trunk, i'd have to see a picture and know where in the trunk the cables came from to help you figure that out.

Headless he said msp not p5 so he didn't have the spare tire sub. If the msp had the same thing as my mp3 it should be about 10 guage wiring and itl be one clip going into the amp. I think it had 2 yellow for power one black for ground and the blue for signal wire then had the rca cables. That's if they were the same though. Btw I'm running a 500 watt amp to 2 12s with no problem at all on the stock wiring

thats a lot heftier than i was thinking but still 10 gauge scares me, im running 10 gauge as speaker wire on a short run from my amp to my subs (granted im pushing 1000rms to them) but still, 10 gauge for power wire is a bit on the small side. as long as you check amperage rating charts and make sure the power you are pulling is acceptable for that awg wire then go for gold. either way i'd recommend upgrading the power wire to something a bit thicker.

Back