Installed TRZ tranny mount - torque steer worse??

:
Mazdaspeed3, Mazda2 Yozora Ed., RX-8 R3
So, I installed a TRZ tranny mount this weekend, in addition to the corksport RMM inserts (test driven between each install). The TRZ mount is super harsh. Much worse than i was anticipating. and I've got a fairly loud and obnoxious 2! I made a slight modification to the TRZ mount, as when you bolt it up, the transmission perch bolts tight to metal, thereby negating the entire purpose of the urethane bushing. So I slipped an additional Grade 8 washer between the rubber and the perch so it's tight on the bushing and not the steel plate.

At any rate, its still rather harsh, but I've noticed two things now aside from that, the first of which is that I think it's actually made my turning torque steer way worse. If I pull hard in a straight line, it's pretty solid, but if the wheel is over beyond a slow lane change, it almost grabs the wheel out of my hands. Anyone else have this issue?

Possible I misaligned something when I did the install? Could I have a blown passenger mount thats thrown things off? Should i have done all three mounts or at least the passenger and tranny mount together?

I'd swear the car feels slower now too, but I'm sure thats all in my imagination!

As a side question, is there a transmission mount that would sit somewhere between the stock mount and the TRZ mount in terms of stiffness? It doesn't appear the stock mount could be 'filled' but then I didn't examine it too closely.

Take the washer out and install it as instructed.

TMM doesn't actually make things worse, but it does increase NVH, mainly because you now hear the throw out bearing and clutch rattle. You'll get used to it.

I did that first. The NVH was unbearable. Its quite clear that the perch is bolted directly to the bottom of the steel plate at that point = no point in even having the bushing. Seems like a pretty flawed design imo. Driving around today more in the city i got a bit better feel for it. I can definitely hear the bearing and clutch, that doesn't bother me really so much. Cruising on the hwy is barely noticeable over stock in this configuration. Downshifting only a bit louder than stock... hammering the throttle... thats when it screams...

I'll drive it around for the week and see how i'm feeling as I get used to it. Looking very closely at a CPe set of side mounts. Pricey as hell but I like the 60duro option they offer.

My design goal for this car is really more to have a sleeper DD... The 2 is looking like it's going to be come the solo-x car.. so i want this one tight, but comfortably so. Possible this mount might just not be the right one for this car for me.

Torque steer is affected by the motor mounts. Some of the sales sites say it goes away, this is not the case. without the MMs the engine thrashes around on hard acceleration and you lose some of your torque to that movement. With the MMs that 'wasted' torque is better applied to the ground, thus potentially increasing your torque steer.

My advice is to hold on a little tighter. The NVH gradually reduce. I did 88 duro JBR PMM, TMM, and CS DP at the same time. Now that was some serious NVH increase. It's been about a 1000 miles now and I want more...lol. JBR 88 RMM in route and a Test Pipe.

Cheers,

G

Latest posts

Back