Installed iPod Integration Cable USB TYPE GEA1-79-970

JTEN98

:
2012 CX-9 GT FWD
Ordered GENUINE MAZDA IPOD CABLE USB TYPE GEA1-79-970 (MID Head Unit) from eBay this week. After reviewing the instruction (which included removing parts of the console, radio surround, and radio) I wondered if just removing the foot panel below the glove box as well as the glove box itself wouldn't allow enough space to fish the wire up behind the head unit and plug it in. Yep! 15 minutes and I was controlling the iPod with the factory controls.

The steering wheel controls are limited, but you can navigate fully (best I can tell) with the head unit buttons. The sound is fantastic. $55 from eBay, including shipping. I did zip tie the cable after coiling it like the instruction show, but left the white apple usb cable loose so that there was enough slack to pull the iPod out and handle it.

I'd post pics, but it's so terribly simple, it's really not worth it. No screw drivers, no wrenches etc.

Good stuff! (headbang)

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, saved a longer install. If you want to go one step further, I headed to BB and picked up a usb port from the auto installers (you have to remove the inline resistor). One hole later and my center console now has a usb port.

IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1190.jpg

I know Mazda "officially" says that it doesn't work, but can anyone who has the USB cable installed confirm whether it will work with the iPhone? I found an old thread on the forum that indicated someone had an iPhone 3G/3GS that worked fine with it even though Mazda never supported that phone either. I have the iPhone 5 and I am curious if I can make this adapter work.

Ordered GENUINE MAZDA IPOD CABLE USB TYPE GEA1-79-970 (MID Head Unit) from eBay this week. After reviewing the instruction (which included removing parts of the console, radio surround, and radio) I wondered if just removing the foot panel below the glove box as well as the glove box itself wouldn't allow enough space to fish the wire up behind the head unit and plug it in. Yep! 15 minutes and I was controlling the iPod with the factory controls.

The steering wheel controls are limited, but you can navigate fully (best I can tell) with the head unit buttons. The sound is fantastic. $55 from eBay, including shipping. I did zip tie the cable after coiling it like the instruction show, but left the white apple usb cable loose so that there was enough slack to pull the iPod out and handle it.

I'd post pics, but it's so terribly simple, it's really not worth it. No screw drivers, no wrenches etc.

Good stuff! (headbang)

Any difference in sound quality VS Bluetooth?

The cable absolutely works with the iPhone. I'm using a 5 currently.

The sound is cleaner with the cable, and the stereo controls are a nice addition vs the bluetooth

Song data is displayed properly for most everything. Podcasts are a little less than.

Back