2018 CX-5 Android head unit installed

Finally found one cheap enough to see how it worked (about $200 USD).
UPDATE! I have gotten everything working. All steering wheel controls work, center knob area works, I found how to access all the stock settings for lights/smart braking/etc. the only thing rendered unusable was the USBs/SD in the center console area (but the head unit has two usb of its own).

Some things to note:
1. Aftermarket backup cam is required. I got one of the ones that mount to your license plate frame and it isn’t perfect but does the job.
2. Instructions are almost <none>. There is a crude wiring diagram, which I was able to get figured out. Someone less tech savvy might not have had such luck. There is no cutting of stock harness required.
3. The two USB and SD card reader in the center console no longer will work. There may be a way to get these working, but I haven’t torn down the console yet to find out (I will).

Amazon link:

Attachments

• IMG_8273.jpeg
    IMG_8273.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8281.jpeg
    IMG_8281.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8283.jpeg
    IMG_8283.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8285.jpeg
    IMG_8285.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Where/what did you get? Does this replace the whole original radio unit and screen? Can you still control the car settings?

Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Surely you lose the ability to change car settings. Still pretty cool!

Yea, not a requirement. How often do you really change stuff? After 3-4 years, just about never. ;)

Nice!

I have a 2013 CX-5 and I’ve been looking at different options to get Android Auto on a larger screen than my phone when driving. I’m leaning towards a stand-alone unit that you mount on the dashboard somehow.

Drawbacks are:
- It will obstruct part of your view or if mounted lower will block the AC vents and display.
- You’ll have figure out how to route the power cord so it’s not too obvious or in the way.
- Temptation for theft since it’s just hanging out on your dashboard.

The major advantages are that you don’t have to disassemble the dashboard to install it and you still have access to the settings. P

Last edited:
So update. Canbus is finally programmed correctly. All steering wheel and console buttons work. I can also go to “OBD Settings” and change all the original stock items like door locks and lane assist, though they won’t work for me anyways as I removed all of the stuff that was mounted to the window such as forward facing camera). The only things I am missing from stock are the USB/SD Card Reader is now powerless, but new head unit has two USBs. Better in my opinion, is that now it displays codes instead of just a generic “charging system malfunction” for instance (I have a few codes due to removing all the SCBS stuff from the windshield as well as my higher charging voltage and PCM bypass on my high output alternator)

Last edited:
Where/what did you get? Does this replace the whole original radio unit and screen? Can you still control the car settings?

Inquiring minds want to know! :D
So I figured everything out yesterday. You can change the car settings still and all buttons and knobs from steering wheel plus center knob area all work!

Hmmm, I may well get one of these for our 2019. Since you've 'travelled the road', can you PLEASE put together your learnings on how to set it up?

Also, why do you have to install a different rear camera? I know the factory camera may be a different voltage (at least it was on our 2014), but if you add a voltage adapter, won't it work?

(This was what I did on the 2014: OEM Backup Cam with Aftermarket Stereo)

Hmmm, I may well get one of these for our 2019. Since you've 'travelled the road', can you PLEASE put together your learnings on how to set it up?

Also, why do you have to install a different rear camera? I know the factory camera may be a different voltage (at least it was on our 2014), but if you add a voltage adapter, won't it work?

(This was what I did on the 2014: OEM Backup Cam with Aftermarket Stereo)
I wasn’t able to find an adapter to turn the stock camera into an RCA type connection.

Install was relatively simple, tear down the same way you would (minus the console part) for the CarPlay upgrade. Once you have the stock head unit/screen removed; there is a plastic bracket attached to the front by two screws that you remove and put on the new head unit. The “Power Plug” has if I remember right 13 plugs on it and a ton of wire. The only ones that are used are the 4 closest to the main power plug. Two are used to clip into each side of the can bus adapter, and two clip onto the stock plugs in the dash. The two small plugs from stock unit that go to the center console usbs get left unhooked (one plug if you didn’t have CarPlay). The antenna from the new unit didn’t fit the stock plug, but can be cut and spliced on to the adapter if needed (I didn’t, and radio still gets perfectly fine reception). There are three plugs for USB ports and a GPS on the rear of the new unit too (all included). I ran the gps sensor through the grate on top of dash and just clipped it down over it, with the sensor stuck to the top of the dash near the windshield (blends in well there in my opinion).

Yeah, I undertand that, it's the setup tweaks you had to work through, like getting the steering wheel buttons working, etc.

Ahh, OK, that should be an easy fix with a soldering iron ;)
I have thought the same. I just haven’t jumped into it yet. If you do, I’d love to know the results.

Setting up the canbus was SUPER easy once I realized the listing on Amazon had the correct settings posted, I just missed them at first lol.

Back