Installed Headlight LED DRLs

Just installed these on my GT w/Tech and they look great. Took about 5 minutes, just popped out the old bulb and dropped in the LED. I love the impact such a small change can make to the appearance of the vehicle.

I'm glad there are no complaints with these bulbs on the Tech Package. I am putting an order in on Friday. Thanks to everyone for their clarifications on these DRL bulbs. You would think it's a minor thing but it seems for Non-Tech it's more involved.

not sure how, if the harness is just to make the computer think its a regular filament bulb rather than led then everyone should be experiencing the same thing you do
if the harness contains an automatic step up transformer then it should work

sending them back tomorrow... FALSE ADVERTISING THAT THEY WORK! ijdm sucks

strom, thanks for your help with these lights, I just received and installed these I bought from ebay for $38 + free shipping https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) .

They work great, they are nice and white, recommend for all Tech Package CX-5 owners. Just one question, I guess after shutting the car off there's a tiny bit of power going to the led's as they light up very slightly for about a minute, I mean so dim you have to get right next to the headlights to see them. This is normal I presume? anyways no big deal, I will take pics and post how they look tomorrow.

Took some pics earlier today with the newly installed LED DRL's

dsc01030g.jpg

dsc01029ps.jpg

dsc01026k.jpg

dsc01027.png

dsc01028ty.jpg

dsc01023.png

dsc01025y.png

Hi guys. New to this forum. I'm gonna ask a dumb question. How do I know if I have the tech package on my 2013 CX-5 Grand Touring?

I'm looking for a way to wire the DRL's to run with the low beams. I think LED DRL's would compliment the factory xenon's quite well. Especially with a dual color turn signal that shines white when the turn signal is not engaged, and amber when it is.

I am try to figure out if anyone without the tech package is happy with these. After reading the comments I can understand that the easy thing would be to turn off some of the lights for DRL and turn all of them on for high beams since they are sharing the same harness. My concern is are they as good as the halogen high beams the DRL is less of an issue but they should be noticeable or why have them on at all. LED's are definitely dimmable, I know because I built an array for my aquarium but this is more complicated.

strom, thanks for your help with these lights, I just received and installed these I bought from ebay for $38 + free shipping https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) .

They work great, they are nice and white, recommend for all Tech Package CX-5 owners. Just one question, I guess after shutting the car off there's a tiny bit of power going to the led's as they light up very slightly for about a minute, I mean so dim you have to get right next to the headlights to see them. This is normal I presume? anyways no big deal, I will take pics and post how they look tomorrow.

The pictures look great and seems bright enough, I see its for the Tech Package...will it also work for the Non-Tech Package GT?

bushido, unfortunately for Non-Tech CX-5's these bulbs will not work as the DRL in Non-Tech also serves as the high beam so when you put the led's in there they will most probably only light up fully when you have your high beams on.

I tend to agree that these bulbs will not work properly in the non-tech vehicles which is what I happen to be getting, but I am surprised that more people have not complained after trying them. You would think if lots of people purchased them and they did not work the seller would pull the product after many returns and complaints.

sending them back tomorrow... FALSE ADVERTISING THAT THEY WORK! ijdm sucks

Hi Mike. Did the lights give a decent glow with just your drls on with them installed. They don't need to be bright, just noticeable in the reflector housing? Did u try the high beams at night, did they work as good or better than the halogens? Drls are not meant to light up the road, but I don't want to give up high beam quality. I have Silver stars in my high beams right now, but they are not meant to last.

FYI. I sent an email to iJDMTOY inquiring about the leds working on a non-Tech CX5 and here is their response. They are obviously aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

Dear customer,

At the moment, we have two setups available for the CX-5, but there may be three. We have been taking care of a customer of ours who owns a CX-5 and we are sending him a new style of resistor/decoder setup to try out and if it works out, we'll start marketing it. This may take 1-2 weeks.

For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Sincerely,

Thura

FYI. I sent an email to iJDMTOY inquiring about the leds working on a non-Tech CX5 and here is their response. They are obviously aware of the problem and are working on a solution.

Dear customer,

At the moment, we have two setups available for the CX-5, but there may be three. We have been taking care of a customer of ours who owns a CX-5 and we are sending him a new style of resistor/decoder setup to try out and if it works out, we'll start marketing it. This may take 1-2 weeks.

For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Sincerely,

Thura

i'd be concerned by this, a resistor and encoder would not make the leds work right on non-tech setups, the drls on non-tech are the highbeams run at lower voltage, the leds need 12vdc to run properly, so unless they included a step up transformer to change whatever voltage the car is putting out in drl mode to 12v mode it wont work, you'll still have dim/partially lit leds
encoders are used to 'fool' ecu's that there isn't a bulb problem because of the reduced impedance of leds in comparison to incandescent bulbs
even if they got a system that worked, everyone with non-tech will lose their high beam ability....

^Yes, agreed.

Though, I didn't realize until now that that was the case with non-tech CX-5s. I hate that the DRL is in that massive reflector housing.
Is the headlight assembly the same between packages and trims? I assume the ugly reflective housing is there mostly for high beam use?

So, non-tech CX-5s utilize a dual filiment lamp for DRL/high beam? Overall, I hate the way they setup the DRLs. The new 6 has an optimal setup. Wish they'd done the same with the CX-5.

i'd be concerned by this, a resistor and encoder would not make the leds work right on non-tech setups, the drls on non-tech are the highbeams run at lower voltage, the leds need 12vdc to run properly, so unless they included a step up transformer to change whatever voltage the car is putting out in drl mode to 12v mode it wont work, you'll still have dim/partially lit leds
encoders are used to 'fool' ecu's that there isn't a bulb problem because of the reduced impedance of leds in comparison to incandescent bulbs
even if they got a system that worked, everyone with non-tech will lose their high beam ability....

Electronics is not my strong suit but I have made a large array of dimmable leds using separate potentiometers and dimmable drivers for aquarium lighting. Seems like anything is possible albeit at a price. Maybe circuitry that would light up sufficient emitters at the lower voltage to be useful as a DRL and turn on the rest of the emitters at high beam voltage. I have no idea how many lumens these bulbs are but my guess is they are not very bright per led since there are 68 of them on the bulb and Cree makes a single emitter that puts out 1000 lumens at only 10 watts. I think 1000 lumens is equivalent to the output of a 75 watt incandescent bulb or something like that. Dimming may not be practical, especially analog which while simple it will also change the color temperature. Anyway this stuff is beyond me so I'll let someone else think about it.

^Yes, agreed.

Though, I didn't realize until now that that was the case with non-tech CX-5s. I hate that the DRL is in that massive reflector housing.
Is the headlight assembly the same between packages and trims? I assume the ugly reflective housing is there mostly for high beam use?

the assemblies are almost identical except that in the tech package the projectors aren't molded into the housing because they have to be able to move

So, non-tech CX-5s utilize a dual filiment lamp for DRL/high beam? Overall, I hate the way they setup the DRLs. The new 6 has an optimal setup. Wish they'd done the same with the CX-5.

no, just one filament, the car just sends a lower voltage to it when its in drl mode rather than the full 12v when you turn your highbeams on when headlights are on that makes them 'dimmer' (same as when a flashlight batteries are almost dead, lights up, but dimmer because the batteries aren't putting out their full voltage) for use as drl's

Back