Installed Headlight LED DRLs

Mine are white light DRLs as in my picture post #1. No blue tint
Mine look almost exactly like the pics in the jdm link you provided...the 6th picture down actually. The third picture down is a good representation of the look up close, also .

I bought those shortly after he posted those same pics here.

I would DEFINITELY be interested if your version (from the same company, mind you) are a different color than the ones I have. White is my goal...

se7en: I ordered the "same" thing last time (http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-For-Lexus-IS-GS-SC-p/led_sku45_r4.htm) and it didnt work (even with the harness) so maybe these new ones will we'll see.
I sent jdm an email inquiring about the color of these versus the P13W's for the Camaro. Here is their reply:

Me:
"A couple months ago, I bought the P13W light that you had listed for the Camaro ( P13W-LED-FOG-LIGHT-4J ) because you didn't have one listed for the CX-5. Unfortunately, these have a slightly more blue hue to them that I was wanting. I now notice that you have an actual link for the CX-5 and a different part number ( MAZDA-CX-5-DRL ). My question is this: are these two the same? I understand from a fellow forum member that his are, in fact, white...with little or no blue at all. This was my original goal. I don't want to buy another set only to discover that they are essentially the same. Can you please clarify for me?"

Reply:
"Dear Customer,
Thank you for your email.
The item on both listings are exactly the same bulb. One just comes with special wiring to make it work. Our Xenon White Lights will give off that blueish look as it is rated at 6000K.
For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at anytime."

Based off this reply, I would say your results may be better this time. Hopefully!!

Last edited:
Ok cool ... The lights are on the truck for delivery today... I will let u know if they work and post some pics

There are resistor decoders selling as low as $15 for a pair on eBay. I am wondering how's this special decoder different from the others.

I just got the package and it looks like the exact same decoders and bulbs... i will install tomorrow

only tech package provides xenon, and with that its one bulb for high/low beam, it moves the internal shutter, and the 'hi beam' housing is relegated to DRL duty only, unlike with standard (halogen) where projector is low beam, and large reflector is hi beam

So there is no seperate little bulb for DRL then. One would have to change the whole low beam bulb?

That kinda sucks.

So there is no seperate little bulb for DRL then. One would have to change the whole low beam bulb?

That kinda sucks.

no, in the non-tech the drl and high beam are the same bulb, it just runs at lower voltages as drl, and regular voltage as high beam

Okay so i tried to installed ijdm's led bulbs made for the 2013 cx-5 halogen housing and its doing the exact same problem... Fully lights up on high beam mode but when i try to put in DRL mode (shift in drive) only like 7 or 8 leds light up... Wtf am i doing wrong how can it work for everyone else and not for me

Okay so i tried to installed ijdm's led bulbs made for the 2013 cx-5 halogen housing and its doing the exact same problem... Fully lights up on high beam mode but when i try to put in DRL mode (shift in drive) only like 7 or 8 leds light up... Wtf am i doing wrong how can it work for everyone else and not for me

Mike I hate to tell you but it sounds like it is working. LEDs are mot like traditional bulbs in that you cannot dim them. They are either on or off. With that being said, the only way to dim a led bulb for DRL is to turn off some of the LEDs Can you see the bulb on during the daylight?

Mike I hate to tell you but it sounds like it is working. LEDs are mot like traditional bulbs in that you cannot dim them. They are either on or off. With that being said, the only way to dim a led bulb for DRL is to turn off some of the LEDs Can you see the bulb on during the daylight?

clearly this does not appear to be working

http://tinypic.com/r/2ppixj9/6

http://tinypic.com/r/33vzz28/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2e1r7mb/6

http://tinypic.com/r/11jb2ol/6

http://tinypic.com/r/2z87ts9/6

i've been tryin to say to everyone along the way, unless there is a step up transformer in that harness to adjust whatever lower voltage the car is putting to bulb for 'drl' mode then the leds will not work well in 'drl' mode but will work fine when you have yoru high beams on (other than you wont have any highbeams)
the fact that jdm is claiming the harness should make it work shows they haven't fully grasped exactly how the drl/high beam setup works in the cx5, those harness are usually to convince the computers there is a regular, full impedance filament bulb in the socket rather than the low impedance leds and thereby not trip a 'bulb out' warning of any kind

its no fault of your own, non-tech package guys, its just the way the system is setup, you need some device inline that will take whatever voltage is being supplied by the factory wiring in drl mode and turn it into the full 12v so the leds will work (albeit you wont have any high beams to speak of)

at that point it would be cheaper to just wire in a set of leds somewhere in teh front to act as auxiliary drl's and leave the stock drl/high beam assembly alone rather than trying to find a step up transformer module that will automatically adjust any input voltage to 12v

not sure what these other guys without tech package are doing to make theirs work but with just an impedance leveling harness it shouldn't work....
something has to take the ##vdc that is put out of plug in drl mode and convert it to 12vdc

i've been tryin to say to everyone along the way, unless there is a step up transformer in that harness to adjust whatever lower voltage the car is putting to bulb for 'drl' mode then the leds will not work well in 'drl' mode but will work fine when you have yoru high beams on (other than you wont have any highbeams)
the fact that jdm is claiming the harness should make it work shows they haven't fully grasped exactly how the drl/high beam setup works in the cx5, those harness are usually to convince the computers there is a regular, full impedance filament bulb in the socket rather than the low impedance leds and thereby not trip a 'bulb out' warning of any kind

its no fault of your own, non-tech package guys, its just the way the system is setup, you need some device inline that will take whatever voltage is being supplied by the factory wiring in drl mode and turn it into the full 12v so the leds will work (albeit you wont have any high beams to speak of)

at that point it would be cheaper to just wire in a set of leds somewhere in teh front to act as auxiliary drl's and leave the stock drl/high beam assembly alone rather than trying to find a step up transformer module that will automatically adjust any input voltage to 12v

not sure what these other guys without tech package are doing to make theirs work but with just an impedance leveling harness it shouldn't work....
something has to take the ##vdc that is put out of plug in drl mode and convert it to 12vdc
I've been ignoring the non-tech issues since I have the Tech version, but I'm a little confused now that I read it a bit more. Here's why:

Our Tech version has a dedicated DRL slot with the P13W bulb in its place. With regular, stock filament bulbs, even the Tech versions have "half power" sent to them...that's why they glow that yellow color. They don't receive the full power either. The only difference in the tech vs. non tech is that that same bulb pulls double duty on the non-techies in that it is the high beam as well.

What makes the low power of the Tech version any different that the low power of the non-tech? In my mind I would think that, in the non techies, once the LED DRL's are installed, they would work the same as ours (tech version) whether the brights are on or not.

What am I missing?

I've been ignoring the non-tech issues since I have the Tech version, but I'm a little confused now that I read it a bit more. Here's why:

Our Tech version has a dedicated DRL slot with the P13W bulb in its place. With regular, stock filament bulbs, even the Tech versions have "half power" sent to them...that's why they glow that yellow color. They don't receive the full power either. The only difference in the tech vs. non tech is that that same bulb pulls double duty on the non-techies in that it is the high beam as well.

What makes the low power of the Tech version any different that the low power of the non-tech? In my mind I would think that, in the non techies, once the LED DRL's are installed, they would work the same as ours (tech version) whether the brights are on or not.

What am I missing?

its not the same bulb, its just a mediocre quality one thats why it looks the way it does, if we weren't getting the full 12v in drl mode then our leds wouldn't light up properly either
they wouldn't run a step down voltage for our drls cause its just somethign extra they dont need when they can just run the native 12v to a small bulb

Theres a comment on the ijdm website for the cx-5 led saying someone who had a non tech package got his to work

Theres a comment on the ijdm website for the cx-5 led saying someone who had a non tech package got his to work

not sure how, if the harness is just to make the computer think its a regular filament bulb rather than led then everyone should be experiencing the same thing you do
if the harness contains an automatic step up transformer then it should work

Back