Inside Line: MS3 vs WRX vs Ralliart

Similar thread over at the main Subaru

site...http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556814&page=4

interesting...

OMG why did you show me that link!!! And you think WE have fanbois?????!! Gotta love this quote -> "Mazda's are for posers and Subarus are for people who actually know how to work on their own car. I've known both people and the Subie owners seem to actually know how to change their own oil while the Mazda owners I knew all took their cars to the dealers."

OMG why did you show me that link!!! And you think WE have fanbois?????!! Gotta love this quote -> "Mazda's are for posers and Subarus are for people who actually know how to work on their own car. I've known both people and the Subie owners seem to actually know how to change their own oil while the Mazda owners I knew all took their cars to the dealers."

haha yea that fanboi quote was fantastic. lol wheres the fun in front wheel drive? idk about him, maybe he just hasnt had the pleasure of driving a fwd designed to have some fun. i read that page, and i think i might have to go back and start reading from the beginning now.

i agree tho with what a lot of them said. i think subaru is just trying to appeal to a little broader audience now. their car was unmatched for a long time in their niche, but now there's a laundry list of cars that are better or at least comparable in the same class (MS3, GTI, cobalt ss, CSRT4, volvo C30). i think they're trying to go get those slightly upscale buyers who wouldn't have purchased the more raw, more aggresively styled earlier generation.

yes, they abandoned their enthusiasts slightly, but they also gained a whole new generation of WRX owners who liked the redesign. you can never make everyone happy, and they chose the route they did for not unheard of reasons. much in the same light, im sure there will be many unhappy mazda enthusiasts if/when the MS3 line gets dumped to go another route, but there will also be a whole new crowd pleased with whatever else they decided to stick the mazdaspeed badge on next.

The thing with Subies too is that there are a TON of aftermarket parts for them and the dealers are even warrantying parts for them. My friend has an '08 WRX and he keeps telling me that his car is far superior to mine, yet will not race me. I don't think I have enough experience with the car, or the want, to autocross it, but i am sure that his 'superior' car would not shine as brightly as he is making it out to be.

Subaru's are really nice cars and they are like others have said, making them appeal to a broader range of people. And like many other brands have a market of aftermarket parts supporting the car for the performance enthusiast. Subaru really has a nice driveline, their all-wheel drive has pretty much been un-matched in performance in that price range of cars, but they cannot just think that is enough. Sitting in my friends WRX, i get the feel of a cheaper car. I don't feel as comfortable or have the nice features of the MS3 in it.

I would just like to see a decent Subie vs. MS3 in both straight line and Auto-X. Then we would see which car has the more to offer, but as far as a daily driver..... I will stick to my MS3, better gasmileage and a blast if you just slam on it.

Edit: I forgot, but I am sure the Subie people would love this. But out of my and my friend that has the '08 WRX, he has his oil changed for his and does not really do any work on it. So, it seems a little backwards to me :p

Last edited:
Thats funny. I've owned both so I wonder if I'm a poser or a super Subaru tuner. LOL! .

I bought my WRX new in the fall of '01 and drove for 5 years and now I own a MS3. The MS3 is by far the nicer car than my '02 WRX. I haven't looked at a '08 to see what improvements they have made.

finaly got to read good stuff. glad we won we get to go out with a bang (based off the 2 years of production precadence)

Every car group has their cool guys who know it all. In the case of the new wrx, our car is just better, thats it. If the 08 cobalt comparision comes out and they beat us, Im sure we will have people throwing a fit on here as well. Im not bashing the wrx guys, they are a great platform, but mazda delivered a great vehicle.

Every car group has their cool guys who know it all. In the case of the new wrx, our car is just better, thats it. If the 08 cobalt comparision comes out and they beat us, Im sure we will have people throwing a fit on here as well. Im not bashing the wrx guys, they are a great platform, but mazda delivered a great vehicle.

+1

The WRX is not a bad car, but out of the box it is just not as solid a performer as the speed3 is. I truly hope that Subaru makes some revisions to the WRX. I had seriously considered one before the Speed3 but after driving it I was shocked at the price they wanted for it.

They just had info leaked/posted from dealerships about the 09 WRX on nasioc.com...

Power is up to 265hp, the suspension is upgraded, the body comes with a unique sport-oriented kit, the interior comes in two tones with red stiching on things...

If they keep the price at/near what it is right now, the 09 WRX will probably be my next car...MS3 power with AWD and that Subaru soul...

The MS3 is still an awesome car (and I still might get one if the price is right...)...

If you said this back in 2002 i would have agreed with you but they are not the same anymore.

I am hoping that the 09' will be a return to what has made Subaru great in the past...

If all this is real, I have to give Subaru credit for making productive changes quickly...

The biggest improvement Subaru could make is the tranny imo. That 5-speed has been junk for a long time. Over the years they've made minor modifications but nothing major enough to really beef up its strength. Next is the suspension. If they fix those two and keep the price reasonable, it will get a much better reception.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/98of6GaH1dk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/98of6GaH1dk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The biggest improvement Subaru could make is the tranny imo. That 5-speed has been junk for a long time. Over the years they've made minor modifications but nothing major enough to really beef up its strength. Next is the suspension. If they fix those two and keep the price reasonable, it will get a much better reception.

i actually think the supposed body kit additions will have as much to do with an increase in sales as anything else. the two biggest reasons i've heard people giving the new redesign the cold shoulder are for the exterior and softened suspension. the car has had basically the same tranny since inception, so i dont think that's gonna suddenly start turning people away (though i do agree that it needs an upgrade as well) but i think if subaru can tweak the body a little to make it look more agressive and less like a big round turd, it should help sales tremendously. couple that with a better suspension and maybe even a 6 speed, and they'll be a lot more competetive.

Back