Inside Line: MS3 vs WRX vs Ralliart

not a bad article as far as fanboy fodder is concerned. i do wish that they had posted the points awarded for each category (price, performance, utility, etc) because the whole article they basically drool all over our cars about almost every aspect of it, and then one of the last lines says "If it cost $1,000 less and had better tires, the Ralliart would win this contest hands down." i think thats a little over-blown, considering how much they touted the MS3 over the others the whole rest of the article.

not a bad article as far as fanboy fodder is concerned. i do wish that they had posted the points awarded for each category (price, performance, utility, etc) because the whole article they basically drool all over our cars about almost every aspect of it, and then one of the last lines says "If it cost $1,000 less and had better tires, the Ralliart would win this contest hands down." i think thats a little over-blown, considering how much they touted the MS3 over the others the whole rest of the article.

They did - just click the next page link at the bottom of the article a few times to see the detailed info.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=128908/pageId=143122

Totally agree...the last paragraph makes no sense at all after all that had been said in praise of the MS3. Hands-down? It would seem from the reading the article that the MS3 would have won regardless of price given that stock for stock it is easily faster, handles better, brakes better, and has a better interior.

Edit - Forgot they did mention tires, but even then the MS3 would still have a noticeable power and braking advantage.

Last edited:
Edmunds said:
If we had to find fault it would be that the damping could be more aggressive in both compression and rebound an issue Mazda is soon going to address, we understand.

Um, they are? In what, an '09 MS3 or as a TSB?

Er..., they think dampening could be more aggressive? I thought the general consensus was that the MS3 was over dampened from the factory.

I submit as evidence the fact that Cobb, who I'm more likely to trust than Edmunds.com, recommends the use of the factory dampers with their stiffer springs.

Well, I like Edmunds.com, and I think what they meant about that last paragraph is that even though they consider de MS3 the best car for the price, the Rallliart is more fun to drive, and easier to drive quickly, so with better tires, and a slighlty lower price they would choose it.

Read the "Second Opinion" (on the main article's page, click next on the bottom). I think that clears things up a bit. Also look at the points they awarded, it also might make things more clear.

Um, they are? In what, an '09 MS3 or as a TSB?

I smell a newly redesigned Speed3 with a more aggressive platform!?! I truly wonder why Subaru decided to shoot themselves in the foot like they have? I had also read the Ralliart would be coming in under 27,000.00 which if thats the case would make it a little more affordable. I like the ralliart, but I am not sold on that Twin clutch witch craft given Mitsubishi's track record I am not sure I would put faith in that set up. I would much rather a good ol 5 or 6 speed tranny!

I truly wonder why Subaru decided to shoot themselves in the foot like they have?

Because the old Subaru that prided itself on being a niche company is dead. Ever since they smelled blood (i.e. $$) with the surprise success of the WRX, they've shifted gears to wanting to be a more global company in the vein of Toyota/GM. More global = more sales = bland cars that appeal to the largest market.

I wonder how soon it will be when AWD is no longer the norm with Subaru cars at this rate.

Did anyone else notice that on the Fuel economy the MS3 won, but somehow got 2nd place on the final score? WTF is up with that?

Also, it kind of seems that some of the scoring categories were trying to favor the Mitsu. Maybe it is just me, but it seemed like some of the options they judged on werer kind of skewed.

The sad part....... MS3 still won, lol.

"Now then with the MSpeed3 (and the MSpeed6's) I've seen quite a few tooling around town spouting white smoke from their tailpipes. Tell me how special the Mazdas are that they have engines that are junk. Also the interior quality of the Speed3 stinks; I've seen how they look after getting broken in and while they look nice on the lot, they don't wear very well." (Quote from one of the subie owners.)

talk about haters ... haha

especially the part about how they don't age well. That doesn't make sense since its gonna look as good as how the owner takes care of it. Also that comment about how ms3 owners don't know how to change their own oil? What the hell is that? Changing oil is the same for any car, if someone doesn't know how or want to change their oil in their ms3, what makes them think their gonna do it if they had a subie.

these subie guys are just mad because the ms3 is much more of a wagon than their car will ever be (WRX) and it just sounds like their trying very hard to find something to say about Mazda and their owners.

Last edited:
"Now then with the MSpeed3 (and the MSpeed6's) I've seen quite a few tooling around town spouting white smoke from their tailpipes. Tell me how special the Mazdas are that they have engines that are junk. Also the interior quality of the Speed3 stinks; I've seen how they look after getting broken in and while they look nice on the lot, they don't wear very well." (Quote from one of the subie owners.)

talk about haters ... haha

especially the part about how they don't age well. That doesn't make sense since its gonna look as good as how the owner takes care of it. Also that comment about how ms3 owners don't know how to change their own oil? What the hell is that? Changing oil is the same for any car, if someone doesn't know how or want to change their oil in their ms3, what makes them think their gonna do it if they had a subie.

these subie guys are just mad because the ms3 is much more of a wagon than their car will ever be (WRX) and it just sounds like their trying very hard to find something to say about Mazda and their owners.

Very true, if I was a WRX driver I would feel a bit upset about the luke warm rating my car just got considering I spent sub 30 grand for in essence a shadow of a performance car. SOA really took a failing gamble on the new WRX! So sad to see

Latest posts

Back