infotainment system keeps rebooting when cold.

:
2014 Mazda CX5
I have a 2016 CX5 Grand Touring and I live in central PA. When the temperature drops below freezing overnight (which it does most of the time in winter here), the infotainment system keeps rebooting multiple times until the cabin warms up. Once the cabin warms up, it's fine, but I can't use the nav or phone until it does. This is unacceptable. I had it in to the dealer and they updated the firmware, but it's still occurring. Anyone else have this problem?

Just for s**** and giggles remove the Nav card before you start it the next time and see what happens. It could be related to dirty/oxidized contacts on the card/reader.

If this solves the problem get some good contact cleaner (safe for plastics) and give the contacts on the card a treatment.

Since rebooting on your infotainment system only happens in sub-zero temperature, it has to be hardware related. Software updates won't resolve the problem. Many new CX-9's have rebooting problem on their similar infotainment system but that's not related to cold temperature but the separate tablet display unit is the culprit. The problem for you is, as the weather is getting warmer, it becomes harder to duplicate the problem. I'd suggest you making a video when the rebooting happens again in your next occasion of sub-zero weather, and send it to Customer Experience Center of Mazda North American Operations. Even if you can't make it happen again due to the warmer weather, you still call Mazda to create a case with a case number and ask them to replace the infotainment unit if they're willing. Your 2016 CX-5 may run out of the new car warranty in next winter like mine, so you need to think ahead as your infotainment system rebooting can only happen in the winter time.

yeah that's a good idea. Mine will certainly run out of warranty with the number of miles i put on it each year. I have 27k miles on it in 14 months of ownership. I definitely think it's h/w related. i doubt dirty contacts would cause it. i don't know how they'd have gotten dirty to begin with, and if that were the case it would do it when it's warm too.

yeah that's a good idea. Mine will certainly run out of warranty with the number of miles i put on it each year. I have 27k miles on it in 14 months of ownership. I definitely think it's h/w related. i doubt dirty contacts would cause it. i don't know how they'd have gotten dirty to begin with, and if that were the case it would do it when it's warm too.

Electrical connections can oxidize and become 'dirty' through no fault of yours. Electrical characteristics can change with temp. Do a search on this site for your issue and you'll see that my advice has helped more than one person here. It's a simple solution but if you'd rather have the dealer screw around with it and possibly mess something else up, feel free.

Last edited:
I already have an appointment for them to look at it again tomorrow night since the firmware update did not solve the problem. I think it's good so that Mazda has to address this problem. Hopefully they can fix it this time. I do understand that they can get dirty. I just didn't think it would happen this soon with such a new vehicle. Appreciate your input.

I live in North Idaho and it gets minus zero plenty of times. Never had mine complain about the cold. It must be the hardware...

Back