2016 CX-5 Infotainment Reboot Loop

Hi all,

My Infotainment system started on a reboot loop last week. I tried all the suggested fixes by removing the nav card, hard rebooting the system etc... but no luck. I finally called the dealership to get my car in for service but they mentioned other Mazda owners were reporting the same issue. They told me they were in contact with Mazda and to call back in case there is a recall. Well I called back today and they apparently have tracked down the source of the problem or think they know what it is. It's related to listening to specific radio stations. Mainly NPR that is causing the infotainment to crash. I guess Mazda is scrambling to figure out how to fix it. This is some super wacky stuff but I figured I would relay the message in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I'll post an update once I hear back more from the dealership.

Hi all,

My Infotainment system started on a reboot loop last week. I tried all the suggested fixes by removing the nav card, hard rebooting the system etc... but no luck. I finally called the dealership to get my car in for service but they mentioned other Mazda owners were reporting the same issue. They told me they were in contact with Mazda and to call back in case there is a recall. Well I called back today and they apparently have tracked down the source of the problem or think they know what it is. It's related to listening to specific radio stations. Mainly NPR that is causing the infotainment to crash. I guess Mazda is scrambling to figure out how to fix it. This is some super wacky stuff but I figured I would relay the message in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I'll post an update once I hear back more from the dealership.

:p I call BS!!!!

There's no way in hell that listening to one radio station over another is going to cause your infotainment system to behave this way. No way.

What of those folks who have such an issue and never listen to the radio at all? Such BS.

:p I call BS!!!!

There's no way in hell that listening to one radio station over another is going to cause your infotainment system to behave this way. No way.

What of those folks who have such an issue and never listen to the radio at all? Such BS.
I know! It's so ridiculous and I'm trying to wrap my head around how listening to a particular radio station would cause this to happen. I'll update this thread as I find out more.

So my question is if you don't tune in that station does the loop stop?

I actually could imagine it happening if the station has some sort of oddly coded RDS information as part of their broadcast.

So my question is if you don't tune in that station does the loop stop?

I actually could imagine it happening if the station has some sort of oddly coded RDS information as part of their broadcast.
Unfortunately, the Infotainment is constantly rebooting so I can't switch stations or navigate to any of the menus. The only thing that still works is the back up camera.

Our reboot loop on our CX-5 began last week. I’ve talked with two dealers. I told them the issue and said I thought I just needed a software update. Before I told them anymore, they asked “did it start early last week and were you listening to NPR?” The first dealer said the CMU would have to be replaced, but because of supply chain issues there were no parts. It would cost $1500 to $1700 and there were 200 people ahead of me. The second dealer’s question was the same and yes we had it on NPR. This time they said Mazda was scrambling to figure out what had happened. They had one car in and tried unsuccessfully with a software fix. No mention of CMU. They had 50 customers with the issue, not just CX-5s and mentioned it is 2014-2018 models so far. I’ve found one neighbor with the problem and he was listening to a different FM station.

I have the same infotainment screen issue on a 2015 Mazda3. Started last week. The radio was on NPR so there may be some truth to it being something from the digital radio signal messing it up.

I called my local dealership and they said that many people were reporting it and said they were not able to help and directed me to Mazda's 1-800 number. Thanks local dealer. The 800 number is not accepting calls right now and direct you to their online chat which is also currently down due to volume and their email contact on the site is removed.

Hopefully they get this figured out quickly as it's really distraction to have the screen constantly rebooting when you're driving particularly at night. Not particularly happy with Mazda. They should at least be posting an update in their FAQ acknowledging an issue.

The symptoms on my car:
* constantly reboots, gets past the Mazda logo to the different icons on the screen then restarts
* backup camera works although sometimes the reboot seems to interfere with it
* radio works but is stuck on the station as there's no way to switch it
* USB charger isn't working to charge phones

Is this NPR thru Sirius/XM or just AM or FM?

Are non-Mazda vehicles experiencing this?

Seems too weird to be true.

NPR stations have been there for a while.
Why this happened recently?
Interesting to find out.
For now, might want to avoid tuning into NPR stations (or shut down your car while tuned in to NPR stations)

This sounds like a Mazda issue.
Asking customers to pay for a new MID is ridiculous.

Is this NPR thru Sirius/XM or just AM or FM?

Are non-Mazda vehicles experiencing this?

Seems too weird to be true.
My issue is related to NPR on the FM station. I should also note that my infotainment is on the Mazda connect version and not upgraded to Apple Carplay. I'm not sure if those systems are affected as well.

The only way code can reach the CMU from a radio station is like someone posted earlier through RDS, it's hard to believe but it's plausible a radio database inside the unit got corrupted and software can't recover.
I wonder if it's possible for you to press and hold together MUSIC+FAVORITE+MUTE(Volume Control) for a few seconds to reach ENGINEERING MODE.
If Engineering mode doesn't reboot you could upgrade your firmware and possible clear the corruption. If you have a steady ENG Mode type 53 Enter to display your CMU firmware current version.

The only way code can reach the CMU from a radio station is like someone posted earlier through RDS, it's hard to believe but it's plausible a radio database inside the unit got corrupted and software can't recover.
I wonder if it's possible for you to press and hold together MUSIC+FAVORITE+MUTE(Volume Control) for a few seconds to reach ENGINEERING MODE.
If Engineering mode doesn't reboot you could upgrade your firmware and possible clear the corruption. If you have a steady ENG Mode type 53 Enter to display your CMU firmware current version.
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to enter engineering mode but I seems to reset before the system fully boots so that didn't work. I also tried the hard reset and that didn't work either.

Rainman206,
Did the MID crash/reboot while you were listening to a NPR station?
Or, did the problem (infinite loop) happen on the next startup of your car?

How about disconnecting the battery? It seems various electronic gremlins have been resolved this way.

How about disconnecting the battery? It seems various electronic gremlins have been resolved this way.
Yeah, I disconnected the battery overnight hoping that would solve the issue but no luck. The only thing it managed to do was stop playing the NPR station but now I have radio static. :D

Back