Infotainment System Bugs

My MZ3 is on firmware 25.xx. My iPod Touch G4 works reliably via USB, but my 80 GB iPod 5.5 Generation does not connect at all. This was the last iPod prior to Apple's "Classic" model introduction. I used the 80 GB iPod successfully with many makes and models of cars, and it works beautifully with the Kenwood DIN head in my Corolla. Really a shame Mazda isn't supporting older iPods over USB. The sound quality is always going to be lower via the headphone jack versus line-level USB audio.

Another iPod related annoyance is the radio always forgets what station it was on when I plug / unplug the iPod between rides. The radio goes back to 87.9 static every time.

What a pain. Went to get my oil changed today and the dealership said there was no update newer than my v25.

I've noticed more icon signs on the Nav screen, like Shell gas and I think BP as well since v29 was installed. My wife drives this car more than me though and she doesn't notice things as much.

Well..... You can officially add me to this list. My infotainment system has finally failed me. I was sitting back looking at all of these problems thinking "man I'm glad mine works perfect." As of today my radio no longer works either. No bluetooth, hands free features, radio, nav, back up camera, completely nothing. All I have is a black screen and OCCASIONALLY the mazda logo decides to come up but the screen is very dim. Tried restarting the car and disconnecting the battery. No luck so I guess it's off to the dealers for me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Man, I think your issue is diff from others'.
It seems like the system cannot read from the SD card. (watched your video)

Man, I think your issue is diff from others'.
It seems like the system cannot read from the SD card. (watched your video)

Yeah its similar to what ive read other people experiencing, but I haven't read of anyone else having the exact problem. Its weird, it happened out of no where. I drove home from work fine listening to XM radio, then later on in the day when I was heading to class this is what it started doing. Had a fellow mazda buddy look it over real quick and we are both completely clueless as to what went wrong. kind of upsetting nonetheless.

Well took it to the dealer today. They hooked it up to a scanner and did a system reset. He said all they had to do was wipe out the "keep alive" memory on the unit and it started up fine afterwards. I asked if they were having multiple complaints with other customers units and he said not that he's aware of. At least not with the problem mine had. They also stated that disconnecting my battery should of in theory fixed the problem, however that wasn't the case when I attempted it last night. Hopefully it was just a one time thing and I can continue to enjoy it problem free from here on out, but something tells me that won't be the case.

When disconnecting the (-) terminal of battery, you need to keep it off for at least 30 seconds.
This is to drain the voltage fully from the system in order to get a clean restart.
Did you?

When disconnecting the (-) terminal of battery, you need to keep it off for at least 30 seconds.
This is to drain the voltage fully from the system in order to get a clean restart.
Did you?

I don't know how long I left it disconnected. 10 maybe 15 seconds tops. It wasn't very long. Maybe that's why the problem was still stored in the device. I'll keep it in mind for future reference if it happens again.

Sometimes when I connect my iPhone to the USB port the car displays a message "Syncing Contacts" and will not let me use the phone until it finishes.
Does this mean that all my contacts are stored in the car computer system? Are they encrypted!? This seems like a big security risk to me.

Saw the blue screen of death today. Audio was playing, but couldn't control anything.

Turned car off, turned car back on.

Resolved.

2gwdshc.jpg

I am still trying to decide about the v29 firmware update... Does it fix more than it breaks? I haven't had any BSOD with v25, but I did experience Nav unresponsiveness and an IT startup crash one time. I am scheduled for a firmware update on April 29 unless I cancel the appointment.

Oops, I wrote too soon -- my IT system crashed today under v25, then spontaneously rebooted. So while not too annoying, it definitely underscores the reliability question I raised before.

Updated to v29 at 1st free oil change where I bought mine.
So far so good.

The OE version of IT never crashed on me, but as some people said, it did freeze one some occasions.

Back