Immobilizer alarm going off with key and with key fob

trishr

:
Mazda5
Mazda 5 Touring 2006 Canada- This problem has been present for probably a year. The key fob, and using just the key, will set off the immobilizer alarm.
It started when the key fob would only unlock the doors if I was within a couple of feet from the car. I changed the battery in the key fob, but that made no difference. It took way more effort and time to unlock the doors using the key fob (switched to the spare key fob no change), and finally the immobilizer alarm would go off. So,
1) I removed the battery and used just the key manually (recommended by a car guy).
2) the did not solve the problem, using the key to open the door would set the alarm off.
At times, if the alarm activation light (red flashing image of a car) remains on when I am driving (why it would do that is odd), if I hit the door lock inside the car, the alarm and lights would flash and finally after two minutes it would shut off but the flashing red car would stay on. Getting out of the car with the red car light flashing, it would activate the alarm and lights again. SO finally,
4) to turn the alarm off now I need to turn the key to Lock then to Unlock and the alarm stops.
5) I can use the remote starter and unlock the doors without setting off the alarm. However, my battery (original) just died yesterday 9 years of use, and I wondered if the battery failing might be causing this alarm issue?
6) changed the battery today and locked the doors using the inside door lock, then attempted to unlock the door with the key manually - alarm goes off - turned the key to Lock then Unlock and it shut it off. So maybe the battery failure was not the cause?
Does anyone know what may be going on here and any suggestions to fix this really annoying problem?
Thanks

Back