IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED---rear brakes

JeeperDan

:
02 Protege5
I did some searches and did not find what I needed.

I am replacing the rear brakes on my son's 02 P5. I have replaced brakes on many vehicles, so I am fairly mechanical. I did find the step on backing off the bolt for the caliper piston...after much fighting to get the caliper back on.

I am not able to get enough clearance for the disc to rotate freely within the caliper.

Suggestions? Hints?

Please help. I want to get this finished today.

Thanks, Dan

It is all about that hex key. Keep backing it off. Also check the brake cable tension

Thanks for the help, but it ended up being that the caliper guide pins were rusty and gummed up.

I cleaned them up. Greased them and put it back together. Now it works.

I'm about the tackle the same job.

My brake light came on, and my ABS light came on... (eek2)

My rear brakes have been crap since I bought the car a few years back. There's always a few rusty spots on the rotors that tell me the pads aren't making the best connection and they are starting to squeal a bit.

I would like to just pull them off and rebuild them instead of buying new calipers at $160 each. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think they are just rusty and gummed up a bit and they need some TLC.

You guys think it's worth servicing them and slapping em' back on or just bite the bullet and buy the new calipers?

If it was me, and actually yesterday it was. I would just clean up the guide pins, grease them up and put them back on.

I put on new rotors and pads also. Two weeks ago I did the fronts (new pads and rotors). The front pads and rotors were in worse condition than the rears, but the rear calipers were in much worse condition than the fronts.

This car stops on a dime now. (compared to before)

If you need any help let me know, I will do what I can.

I am not on this site much as the P5 I am talking about is my son's, but I am subscribed to this thread and get e-mails.

Greasing all your slider pins should be done at least once a year (front and back). It keeps the pins from rusting and keeps the pads from dragging.

I do it every spring when I swap out my winter tires (I should do it in the fall too but I'm not nearly as inspired to do it in the November cold).

Latest posts

Back