idle problems and O/D Problems

Currently when my car is in nuetral or park and running it has a rough idle when i put it in drive or reverse the car has a heavy jerking also the rmps needle is going slightly up and down at all times. when i am driving it i will get a jerk and the O/D light comes on and starts flashing, when i stop at a light i can put it in nuetral and rev the engine the O/D light goes back to normal.
the car has 149,000 miles on it, i am the second owner purchased the car with 70,000 mile on it and had the plugs replaced and drained and filled all the fluids when i purchased it.

i have replaced the following
air intake accordian hose which had a crack
Mass Air Flow sensor
speed control sensor
radiator temp sensor
spark plugs
wires and coil packs
cleaned throttle body
new battery

i took the car to ammco and they told me that i have a bad egr valve and with the O/D the mazda shop told be the wires on the O/D button may have become disconnected do these sound right or what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Try cleaning your EGR valve first - there is a how-to on this forum, and at 149K miles, you are probably way overdue for this.

Wow I'm surprised they actually gave you a straight forward answer. As the guy above me already stated, it is probably your EGR valve. Clean it using the How-to provided on this forum and if it gets better you're set. If it comes back after a little while, just replace the EGR valve. About 150 dollars for the part and you're set.

I dont know but I'd inspect the wires on the OD button first and their is a how-to to clean the EGR valve. Just follow the link in my sig.

i found out when i told the this family friend (ends up a hack) mechanic to replace my speed sensors he only replaced the output not the input and once i replace the input (pulse generator) it took care of the problem

Back