idle problem with my mp3

:
Mazda protege mp3 2001
Hey guys im having problem with my 01 mp3 when i turn it on cold start the idle is at about 1400 rpm and after a small amount of time it starts going down and stays at about 700 rpm every time i turn it on after that it just stays at 700rpm ive notice this recently because the car started shaking a bit when its at 700 rpm any ideas what may be the problem? Help appreciated. Thanks.

Look in the how to section it's a common issue. Also check your intake tube for cracks. I had the same issue and when pulling the intake off to check it it ripped in half

Hey guys im having problem with my 01 mp3 when i turn it on cold start the idle is at about 1400 rpm and after a small amount of time it starts going down and stays at about 700 rpm every time i turn it on after that it just stays at 700rpm ive notice this recently because the car started shaking a bit when its at 700 rpm any ideas what may be the problem? Help appreciated. Thanks.

wait... waht?!?

normal cold idle is 1200-1500rpm until the car warms up a little bit, and ~750rpm when the engine warms up. i fail to understand what the perceived problem is?

I agree with NJ....Thats a pretty normal situation you have there. 700rpm is a pretty standard idle, and 1500 is standard for a cold start up, sometimes in the winter if it gets real cold it may even be higher for a period of time. The rumbling could be you need to clean out the EGR, but even my mp3 has a slight rumble and its just because when the rad fans click on (which seem to come on whenever they feel like it) the engine has to pick up a bit do deal with the extra load placed on the alternator. I don't know for sure if there is an idle control on the mp3, but that tends to get gummed up and can cause rumbling at idle. Mis-firing cylinders or gummed up spark plugs can also cause rumbling and hesitation as well if that is what you're experiencing.

The problem is when it goes down to the 700 range the engine starts kinda shaking the the needle kinda shakes up and down and you can feel it kinda choking like if it wants to turn off and when i bought the car it use to idle at a bout 900 rpms. And really smooth.

I haven't had time to clean the egr my brake hose just ripped i dont know how that happened but finally got the part in and replaced it. An if i have time next weekend ill clean the egr.

It is normal. Cold engine idles higher. Mine idles at 1500 rpm, then goes down to 700-750 after a few minutes when the engine warms up.

if its stumbling at 700, i suspect a vacuum leak somewhere. maybe that ripped brake hose...

Ok so since i havent had time to check all the stuff and clean out the egr or iac i just bought the sea foam stuff and it seems like its not stalling as much. So i guess ill leave it as it is for now. Ill keep you guys posted if problem comes back.

Back