Ice build-up in wheel well/suspension

CommieSpeed

:
2003.5 Titanium-Gray Mazdaspeed Protege
All of my wheel wells are packed with snow and ice so bad that I can't get it out. It makes my car noisy and ride bad. It is too cold to blast it out with water from the spray bay (makes it worse), I cant scrape it out, Ive tried using chisels/screwdrivers and I have succeeded in doing nothing but cross-drilling the ice. This crap is all in my coilovers too, and makes horrendous suspension noises. I cant get it out though!!! And when I get some out after I drive it once it all comes back!!! Can ice being all up in my suspension possibly damage it when it compresses? Using the butt end of a bat I couldn't even knock all this crap out.

What's ice?

Seriously though, I had the same problem at the start of the snowy season. I couldn't drive on the freeway because my car would shake so violently that I would almost run off the road. There really isn't an end-all solution for it, except taking it to a drive-through car wash with underbody spray. I was thinking about making a solution that I could keep in a spray bottle and melt the ice/snow on the wheels, but I'm a little worried about damaging rubber/paint. Maybe wiper fluid?

I have had that happen, too. Basically i just started chizzling it out. It will come apart.

I dont think ill really damage my steel wheels :). Once the packed snow cracks it falls apart.

Damn, how did you get so much stuff up there?
I usually try to leave it in a garage overnight if possible.

Yea, I had the same problem, car started to shake really bad when I hit 60. Took it and hosed that sucker off....They normally put out hot water so if you do it during the day and just on teh rims it will probably be OK...But the heatgun idea is pretty good too.

the car wash self washer is how i got it out. also every time i get out of my car i use my ice scraper to knock it out while it is still slush. takes dicipline but its better than trying to get the ice out.

I keep my car under cover when I'm not driving it, but snow/slush gets in there from driving through it on the streets. You really can't avoid it in Michigan.

just ramp your car at a high rate of speed on some rough railroad crossings. that should jar it all loose.

kidding.

CommieSpeed said:
I'm going to go PAM the s*** out of my wheel wells.
"HEADLINE: CommieSpeed seen skidding all over the road.... says one bystander 'it's almost like he was riding on grease!'"

lol. kidding.

Back