I - Stop .........Off!

You don't need the engine off on a 2017, I couldn't hear the engine on tickover when I had one for the day, besides I always have music playing 90% of the time.

It does take a bit of getting used to I must admit. It was good on my 2016 but when coupled with the auto hold I find it superb. Its very fast, very smooth and I quite like the silence when waiting at a light.

Yes it is unfortunately the diesel still uses the starter motor as does the petrol engine to restart. I stop also requires a special stop start battery which is more expensive if you need to replace it.

And to think the diesel version's i-stop is different to the petrol version's

Agreed.

Why?

Consider this ...... My good lady was doing a 3 point turn and the engine cut off whilst doing so..... very annoying.

Again, call me old school or whatever but l will never get my head around the fact that this process must cause some wear & tear, which will result in added maintenance costs further down the road.

Anyway, we all have our thoughts on the matter and we can never expect to agree on everything, so it is what it is.

Yes the petrol engine does use the starter motor along with ignition start, that why restart is quicker than just using the starter motor.

Adjust foot pressure. Done plenty of 3 point turns with no engine cut out.

Not much wear & tear compared to other brands as doesn't use the starter motor for petrol engines:

Idling Stop Technology

As you said, each to their own

Another point. Toyota Prius has a hybrid system where the engine is being started and stopped quite a bit (more that just a basic start stop car). Those have been around for over a decade and have a great reputation for reliability and low maintenance costs. Not high costs and failures from engine restarts.

Another point. Toyota Prius has a hybrid system where the engine is being started and stopped quite a bit (more that just a basic start stop car). Those have been around for over a decade and have a great reputation for reliability and low maintenance costs. Not high costs and failures from engine restarts.

Good point. I rented a Nissan Altima hybrid once for a few weeks and the one thing that bugged me was that even with temps in the mid teens, the car would start out on battery and a couple of blocks later the engine would start and kick in. I would prefer to idle the engine for 30-60 seconds at that temperature to get the oil pressure up and high idle down. I know it’s old thinking but at my age that’s all I know.

Yes the petrol engine does use the starter motor along with ignition start, that why restart is quicker than just using the starter motor.

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel."

I stop is not as effective for saving gas when using the air conditioning on blistering hot days, otherwise it can save 2 to 10 percent according to Edmunds test. Worthless if your stuck in traffic on a 90 degree day!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/do-stop-start-systems-really-save-fuel.html

i-stop only works when the interior temperature actually reaches the set climate control temperature. Until it does, i-stop will not engage but when it does, it works as per normal.

i-stop .........Off!

Did the Mazda dealer actually “disable” your i-stop or just change the default i-stop setting to off and you still can activate the system if you want to by press the i-stop button?

I’d prefer the latter.
I can only assume the service mechanic changed the default setting to 'off'.
Whereas you would normally have a green light for 'on' and an orange light for 'off' ........... it currently shows no lighting.
So it sounded like your i-stop is permanently off and you can no longer activate it by pushing the i-stop button! The way I prefer is you still can have i-stop working by pushing the button whenever you’re driving in the stop-and-go city traffic. And whenever I start the engine the i-stop is off until I push the button.

Now I just wish there’s a cylinder deactivation button like i-stop, or I can have an option to disable it permanently like i-stop!

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel."

http://www2.mazda.com/en/csr/environment/special_features/2009_02_01.html

Extract "The starter motor is operated to assist engine restarting, but using mainly combustion power for restarting requires less time and reduces power consumption.

This unique technology achieves an engine restart time of 0.35 seconds, the best in its class "

http://www2.mazda.com/en/csr/environment/special_features/2009_02_01.html

Extract "The starter motor is operated to assist engine restarting, but using mainly combustion power for restarting requires less time and reduces power consumption.

This unique technology achieves an engine restart time of 0.35 seconds, the best in its class "

Ok I stand corrected - it's used to assist but using mainly combustion power for restarting requires less time and reduces power consumption.

Also Mazda says its engine stop-start system doesn't stop until the pistons are positioned for a quick and smooth re-start. The system resumes when the driver lifts off the brake pedal to get underway again - fuel is injected into the cylinder and the start motor applies a small amount of torque to the crankshaft, all of which makes for a more refined and quicker star, says Mazda - the claim is 0.35 of a second restart, which the company says is half the time of the other stop-start systems.

Source: Mazda I-Stop

This has been around since 2011. Again if there was mass issues with it, you would think after 7 years, we would have heard about it now. Plus the starter motor appears not to be the primary component for restarting the vehicle.

Last edited:
i-stop .........Off!

Toyota started Prius hybrid since 1997, it has been 21 years of reputation for reliability and low maintenance cost!

Stop-start system on Toyota Prius hybrid or any other hybrid is a totally different system than ICE stop-start system like Mazda i-stop. Hybrid uses the big drive motor where the axial is attached to the engine crankshaft to start the engine. The reliability of frequent stop-start the engine is a non-issue due to the same axial used by both engine and motor、no additional moving parts、and much more powerful motor to start the engine!

Cant compare these 2 systems. :)

That of course is for the petrol engine, as far as I can establish the diesel still uses just the starter motor.

i-stop .........Off!

That of course is for the petrol engine, as far as I can establish the diesel still uses just the starter motor.
I believe the document on i-stop by Mazda is vague about whether or not the starter is used to re-start the engine in its i-stop. Once I asked Anchorman on this and his document does show the starter is involved to re-start the engine every time in an SA-G petro engine.

Latest posts

Back