i-stop not working on brand new CX-5?

The Mazda stop start system does not use the starter to fire up the engine.
No worries about wearing it out.
From Mazda's own site:

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-stop/

Yes it does. That info is a bit misleading but if you look at diagram 3 it says says combustion with starter assist and the starter is shown turning. It is however only used to initiate rotation for a third of a second and the diesel is just under half a second.

Dealership has confirmed something is not right. (Sent the wife in). Piss poor for the dealership to have handed over the car with a feature not tested in the first place. Now I have to wait two weeks because they need the car for the whole day.
Hopefully this is not a sign of Mazda to come.
That*s a bit like saying they should take an AWD in the snow and check it before delivery. It should work and probably does. Set the aircon to something mid range and don*t disable any part of it, just leave it on auto. It won*t work until the engine is warm. To activate it, you have to tell it that you want it to work rather than keep running when say you turn out of a junction. To do that, press the brake firmly. As long as all 3 icons are lit when driving like I asked you to check and as far as I know didn*t, it will work. The steering wheel has to be within *10 minutes* of the straight ahead position and you must not load it. If you load it in the slightest it won*t stop and if you load it in the slightest when stopped, it will start again. If in doubt, let go of the wheel or completely relax your grip of it. Remember, all 3 icons with a blue halo, no load on the steering and a firm press of the brake, it WILL work.

That*s a bit like saying they should take an AWD in the snow and check it before delivery. It should work and probably does. Set the aircon to something mid range and don*t disable any part of it, just leave it on auto. It won*t work until the engine is warm. To activate it, you have to tell it that you want it to work rather than keep running when say you turn out of a junction. To do that, press the brake firmly. As long as all 3 icons are lit when driving like I asked you to check and as far as I know didn*t, it will work. The steering wheel has to be within *10 minutes* of the straight ahead position and you must not load it. If you load it in the slightest it won*t stop and if you load it in the slightest when stopped, it will start again. If in doubt, let go of the wheel or completely relax your grip of it. Remember, all 3 icons with a blue halo, no load on the steering and a firm press of the brake, it WILL work.

Simple solution is to have climate control off, drive car until blue light temperature light is off and i-stop should work. If hasn't come on, then drive for atleast an hour, maybe more continuously and over a fair distance with not start/stop traffic such as a freeway. Then the battery will have sufficient charge for the "not ready" to disappear and i-stop should work.

I will say this :- i-stop on mine has worked when blue temperature light has been on.

Simple solution is to have climate control off, drive car until blue light temperature light is off and i-stop should work. If hasn't come on, then drive for atleast an hour, maybe more continuously and over a fair distance with not start/stop traffic such as a freeway. Then the battery will have sufficient charge for the "not ready" to disappear and i-stop should work.

I will say this :- i-stop on mine has worked when blue temperature light has been on.

To not have the climate control not working is unsatisfactory, it needs proving while it is on. The system will work with the low temp light on but only if it has crossed the threshold where the blue halo is showing.

To not have the climate control not working is unsatisfactory, it needs proving while it is on. The system will work with the low temp light on but only if it has crossed the threshold where the blue halo is showing.

No it's not (reference to climate control). When ever I turn on climate control here when the interior of the vehicle doesn't match the set temperature, i-stop won't work.

See my extract above.

Once temperatures are matched, that's when i-stop works.

The OP said:

"I picked up a brand new CX-5 last week, and the i-stop feature is not working. Is this meant to be this way while the engine is run in?"

Hence why I suggested to first turn off climate control, drive around to see if the system is working at all (my guess it will) and then after this determination, they can switch on climate control and get the temperature levels AKA interior and set to match after which i-stop will work and the not ready won't appear.

Because their system has been non-functional from day one probably due to having climate control on since day one, they need to drive for 1-2 hours (possibly more) over a long distance preferably at a sustained freeway speeds with climate control off for the system to move off Not Ready and be functional AKA reset itself.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. Was caught in a car park traffic jam for half an hour with repeated stop and start movement and no climate control on, i-stop stopped working. A few days later, did several normal short distance trips and still not working.

So after this, I did about a 1 hour trip at 80km/h and then the system reset and I had i-stop again.

Always best to try the basics such as what I have suggested. One might get lucky and avoid costly and timely repairs :)

Last edited:
My guess is there is not enough sufficient charge for i-stop to work. A reset is needed.

There should be. The system is designed to work with voltage variations.
Designed is one thing, actually happening is another.

There is no harm in trying my suggestion. What's the worst that could happen? Several $$$ spent on fuel consumption.

If doesn't work, then they have a booked appointment with their Mazda dealer to get it looked at.

Exactly.

When I picked up my CX5, i-stop work from the beginning and I didn't have climate control on. Should be the same for all CX-5s

I*m going to leave you with this discussion but it doesn*t need resetting if it already works. The new owner only needs to understand it and you are doing nothing but complicating matters.

My guess is there is not enough sufficient charge for i-stop to work. A reset is needed.

Ive done over 250km so far. The drive from the dealership was 40 minutes. That should be enough, after all the car starts daily with the starter motor. Thats all i-stop is effectively doing.

Having said that a reset has crossed my mind.

I*m going to leave you with this discussion but it doesn*t need resetting if it already works. The new owner only needs to understand it and you are doing nothing but complicating matters.
That is your opinion. The op said it has never worked from the get go and they advised climate control has been on - my guess from day one. If so then it's possible climate control has never reached the optimum temperature to allow i-stop to kick in. Again not me but manual extract above. Also i-stop has never run under its optimum conditions and therefore is not coming on when it should.

Anyways I am going for the possible cheap solution aka no cost. If it doesn't work then yes their i-stop is faulty. Some how I doubt this would exist straight from the factory. Not impossible but not likely either. If it is stuffed then I defer to the dealer to get it resolved quickly and painlessly

Last edited:
I*ve done over 250km so far. The drive from the dealership was 40 minutes. That should be enough, after all the car starts daily with the starter motor. That*s all i-stop is effectively doing.

Having said that a reset has crossed my mind.
Not really. Read my earlier post above referenced stuck in car park traffic jam. I am speaking from personal experience.

I'm going to ask is point-blank. When you purchased the CX-5, in the first few days did you drive it at all without having a climate control on, for an extended period at all? If yes then i-stop should have been working. If yes you did and it didn't work then yes you do have an issue and I defer to the dealer to get it resolved quickly and painlessly

Last edited:
Anyways let us know how things turn out OP. Don't let this spoil your CX-5 ownership. It's a good SUV :)

It should work at traffic lights. When it says *not ready*, which of the icons does not have a blue halo around it? There*s one for the battery, one for the temperature and one for the engine.

Battery does not have a blue halo around it. Dealership will take the car back for a full day to test the battery and reset the i-stop system. I tried a manual reset, had the i-stop light blinking green, but it did not settle.

Battery does not have a blue halo around it. Dealership will take the car back for a full day to test the battery and reset the i-stop system. I tried a manual reset, had the i-stop light blinking green, but it did not settle.

OK, then it*s the battery and X8s recommendations could come into play. However, the dealer will probably trickle charge it and then do the reset for you.

That is your opinion. The op said it has never worked from the get go and they advised climate control has been on - my guess from day one. If so then it's possible climate control has never reached the optimum temperature to allow i-stop to kick in. Again not me but manual extract above. Also i-stop has never run under its optimum conditions and therefore is not coming on when it should.

Anyways I am going for the possible cheap solution aka no cost. If it doesn't work then yes their i-stop is faulty. Some how I doubt this would exist straight from the factory. Not impossible but not likely either. If it is stuffed then I defer to the dealer to get it resolved quickly and painlessly

I*ve got a lot of time for your opinion- it*s always very sound as far as I*m concerned. It*s just that in normal diagnosis process, you would normally prove the system then move to reset. Now we*ve got the info we were waiting for, the car is telling us there is a battery issue and it would be absolutely worth trying a reset if he wasn*t handing it back to the dealer. :)

I*ve got a lot of time for your opinion- it*s always very sound as far as I*m concerned. It*s just that in normal diagnosis process, you would normally prove the system then move to reset. Now we*ve got the info we were waiting for, the car is telling us there is a battery issue and it would be absolutely worth trying a reset if he wasn*t handing it back to the dealer. :)
I've got a lot of time for yours too. My apologies I meant no disrespect to you.

Last edited:
Back