i-stop not working on brand new CX-5?

Hakuri

:
2018 CX5 Akera 2.5L
Hey All,

I picked up a brand new CX5 last week, and the i-stop feature is not working. Is this meant to be this way while the engine is run in? And Mazda will activate it after the first inspection (1,000km/~600miles).

Also the fuel economy monitor in the MZD system is showing 'Not Ready'... I assume this is related.

Cheers

I just picked up a new CX5 last night and all the features seem to be working.

What exactly have you notice with the "I-stop not working"?

( I have to say reading over the manual the list of safety features and how they work is a bit confusing)

When I say not working... I mean the car doesn't turn off when I stop at the lights.

I understand the whole thing about given parameters must be met, such as air con, lights, steering wheel must be straight... it's not my first car with this feature.

(And yes, the manual is not great in explaining the most simple of things).

I don't think the car shuts off when stopped at lights. At least mine does not, and I do not remember reading it in the manual.

I have the US version and I see you are from Australia, so maybe features are different??

I was glad it did not since a lot of new cars here do to save gas but the constant restarting of the engine I find annoying plus it can't be good for the starter.

It should work at traffic lights. When it says *not ready*, which of the icons does not have a blue halo around it? There*s one for the battery, one for the temperature and one for the engine.

Hey All,

I picked up a brand new CX5 last week, and the i-stop feature is not working. Is this meant to be this way while the engine is run in? And Mazda will activate it after the first inspection (1,000km/~600miles).

Also the fuel economy monitor in the MZD system is showing 'Not Ready'... I assume this is related.

Cheers
You need to drive for a sustained period both duration and distance for it to kick in. The battery needs a good charge.

Go for a trip on a freeway/motorway for an hour and more and it will reset and work.

Before doing the above, if you have your air conditioning system on, turn it off. I-stop won't work until the outside temperature and inside set temperature are the same.

When the temperatures are essentially the same, i-stop will function as well.

I-stop will work with the air conditioning system on but only when the above condition is met.

Last edited:
In uk, it works until the air con needs to cut back In to maintain the desired temperature. So I tend to set mine a little higher if I am in traffic, say 21 degrees Celsius.

Also jworth checking if the switch to the right of steering wheel marked I stop set to off, ie is the light on ? If so press it once to turn on

I don't think the car shuts off when stopped at lights. At least mine does not, and I do not remember reading it in the manual.

I have the US version and I see you are from Australia, so maybe features are different??

I was glad it did not since a lot of new cars here do to save gas but the constant restarting of the engine I find annoying plus it can't be good for the starter.
Starters are electronic today. This isn't hard on them at all.

When istop pauses the engine the pistons are stopped in exactly the same position to start the engine in half a second. There is a high cycle starter fitted so it isn*t harmed.

Thanks for the link..very interesting that the starter is not used to restart the engine. From that site:

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel"

Since it seems like an advanced start and stop system, I wonder why the US Cx5s do not have it????

Thanks for the link..very interesting that the starter is not used to restart the engine. From that site:

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel"

Since it seems like an advanced start and stop system, I wonder why the US Cx5s do not have it????

Regulations perhaps but also they don't seem to like stop/start systems....

It should work at traffic lights. When it says *not ready*, which of the icons does not have a blue halo around it? There*s one for the battery, one for the temperature and one for the engine.

Ill check when I get home. This may be a tell tail as to why i-stop aint working as it should. Dealer has confirmed it should work from the start. The only comment was the front demister needs to be off.
The feature isnt exactly revolutionary as some make it out to be, Ive had it on my other car for over 5 years and its not that all that sensitive to conditions.

Last edited:
I*ll check when I get home. This may be a tell tail as to why i-stop ain*t wotaking as it should. Dealer has confirmed it should work from the start. The only comment was the front demister needs to be off.
The feature isn*t exactly revolutionary as some make it out to be, I*ve had it on my other car for over 5 years and it*s not that all that sensitive to conditions.

Is your air conditioning/climate control always switched on (uhm)

Dealership has confirmed something is not right. (Sent the wife in). Piss poor for the dealership to have handed over the car with a feature not tested in the first place. Now I have to wait two weeks because they need the car for the whole day.
Hopefully this is not a sign of Mazda to come.

Climate control, yes. Because that*s what it is designed for. A/C, not necessarily.

Because you have climate control on, i-stop won't operate until all parameters are met. If the system is on (aka temperature displays showing), then inside temperature needs to be reached before i-stop works.

Can you try and have it climate control off for one decent drive and see how you go. Should (after a decent duration drive), come back on.

FYI - extract from owners manual about i-stop+climate control:

4zyr8o.png

Hence climate control does play a part in i-stop working or not.

Back