I have improved my mileage by adding ACETONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad I have read that before, including the links inside.

http://www.peswiki.com/energy/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

As you can see, the guy who wrote the article, is just...another guy, while he links studies and stuff, you can see some vehicles improving mileage, others dont and a few other showed bad mileage by a similar percent.

See for example rx7mazda...he tried it, at least HE TRIED IT, and had bad results, this means he runs long trips and his engine is very healthy.

In my case, I ALSO TRIED IT, and it gave me good results, and Im going to keep testing it with different brands of gasoline.

city driving (constant stop and go)

Shell 93 - gave me around 280 with acetone, 240 without it, depends on driving conditions...max Ive seen is 289 with 3oz acetone

Texaco 93 - under testings.

Jack Daniels said:
One last thing... All plastics are not created equal.
Oh, and..... http://www.fuelsaving.info/acetone.htm

Last post. I swear. ;)

Jack Daniels said:
Last post. I swear. ;)

Not quite.

Jack Daniels said:
Have you tried a Tornado in your intake? How about magnets on your fuel line? Based upon your standpoint, how do you know for certain they don't work if you've never tried those?

Obviously you don't care about getting better fuel economy, a few of us do. We just wanted to see how acetone affects gas milage. We don't know for certain that those don't work, but there have been literally thousands of people that have said it works, and I decided to stick it out and try it myself. Yeah, I didn't get better results, but what did I lose?

igdrasil, keep us updated on which gas works the best. I may do another run of acetone in my tank, but less this time.

I care about the truth. Nothing irks me more than lousy conspiracy theories. This is rooted in a conspiracy theory. :eek:

rx7mazda said:
Not quite.

Obviously you don't care about getting better fuel economy, a few of us do. We just wanted to see how acetone affects gas milage. We don't know for certain that those don't work, but there have been literally thousands of people that have said it works, and I decided to stick it out and try it myself. Yeah, I didn't get better results, but what did I lose?

igdrasil, keep us updated on which gas works the best. I may do another run of acetone in my tank, but less this time.

ok...i get 31mpg in my p5 on 87 octane straight gas...no additives...and i dont exactly drive my car like a granny, i drive rather hard. ive seen people on here talkin about only getting around 20mpg...id be worried about my car if i got that kinda gas mileage. my p5 is BONE stock, only mod is headlights. ive also got the roof rack on and the sunroof wind deflector on. so yea, if youve got a p5 and youre gettin bad gas mileage, id be checkin your car out.

now let the flames begin...thats my 2 cents

i got about 32.56 MPG with no acetone going up to the ski condo......will try next weekend with it in the tank driving the same way. this was in the jetta!

I can tell you this I tryed it.... Twice did nothing to my gas mileage... Save your money...... If your car has carbon build up it might help you by eating up some carbon but thats it... I dont think may cars on here that are N/A will have much carbon build up by now.

I have notice that the bigest gain in mileage is driving below 62mph. Try it you will see.

02MazPro5 said:
I can tell you this I tryed it.... Twice did nothing to my gas mileage... Save your money...... If your car has carbon build up it might help you by eating up some carbon but thats it... I dont think may cars on here that are N/A will have much carbon build up by now.

Have you not seen the tons of threads with idle problems due to dirty egrs here? I think many N/A cars have had problems with carbon build up.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Have you not seen the tons of threads with idle problems due to dirty egrs here? I think many N/A cars have had problems with carbon build up.

mine sure does after 15-20K of driving.......

Ok kids. I cleaned this mess up the best that I could. If you're going to discuss the benefits or lack of benefits of using ACETONE please do so but please, lets not turn this into a mindless flame war going back and forth over nothing. If you disagree, you disagree...theres no reason to be so abbraisive over a difference of opinion.

I have gotten 300 miles out of 1/2 tank of gas today with the acetone 4oz. per tank and driving like a grandma below 62MPH. Anybody got any numbers???

maxek said:
I have gotten 300 miles out of 1/2 tank of gas today with the acetone 4oz. per tank and driving like a grandma below 62MPH. Anybody got any numbers???

i get around 360 outta a full tank with no acetone, i get on average 30mpg. and this is driving normally, not like a granny. i think if i drove like a granny i might pull 380+

can someone ban this guy?.....please?

maxek said:

i dunno i have a 14.4 gallon tank, and i barely make about 190 half a tank with a lead foot (eek2)

14.4 is about how much I've been able to put in it with a dry tank. Keep in mind, the "tank" itself may be 13.2, but you gotta figure the fill tube will hold another 1 to 1-1/2 gallons.

As for the MPG benefits and how this actually works, in theory it's pretty sound. The acetone decreases the surface tension of the fuel, allowing for finer droplets (vaporization) in the chamber. This promotes more complete and efficient fuel burn.

In practice however, there are going to be several variables that may or may not cause this to be of benefit. Ethanol content of the fuel, quality of the fuel, cleanliness of the injectors, air temperature, among other things will affect how well this works.

The one thing that does somewhat concern me is something I read in one of the smartgas.com (or whatever) articles. It mentioned acetone raising the octane rating of the fuel. This would be the one concern I have for doing damage to the car. I seriously doubt that the minute amount would cause any damage to the fuel system components, however, running a higher than recommended octane fuel can cause the fuel not to burn completely and thus damage the catalytic converters (giving you that great "rotten egg" smell).

I think were going to just have to chalk this one up to "give it a try, your mileage may (literally) vary". Personally, I'm going to give it a shot in my next tank. Generally I get about 350-370 miles to a tank. My max is about 385, and it's been around the low end since I moved to downtown as almost all of my driving has been city. If I see 380+ without changing my driving habits, I'm a believer. I only go through 1-2 tanks a month, so I'm really not that concerned about economy, and as such I feel I'd be pretty un-biased on this one. I would like to explore the supposed performance differences that people are reporting however.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back