I guess its better if i post this here: spark plug wires

Well, I recieved the coil packs in the mail, but not the wires yet. Still getting hesitation/symptoms of misfire after it runs for longer than 10 minutes... I also picked up a code reader... I have a a P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected code and a P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1) code....

i assume the misfire is from the plug wire, but i think the car has had the system too lean code for a while, as the light has been on for the past month or so...

ugh..

What spark plugs are you using? Did you check the gap of the spark plug?

G-power NGK's,,, so you can't gap them.... Good thing i read that, because i was about to gap them, haha....

I read up on the P0171 code.... some of the suggestions by one site is:

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

So i guess i will take the air intake apart and look at it today...

I ordered those coil packs and spark plug wires on the same day, the 13th of May. The wires are STILL not in. I tried calling the sparkplug.com people yesterday (i knew it was a holiday, but worth the shot) and they don't even have an answering machine.

Last edited:
If the new coils and wires do not fix it, replace the spark plugs with regular copper NGKs. I would work on the MAF last, as replacement might not be all that cheap. Oil filters and problems with sensors is the reason I usually do not use them.

If the new coils and wires do not fix it, replace the spark plugs with regular copper NGKs. I would work on the MAF last, as replacement might not be all that cheap. Oil filters and problems with sensors is the reason I usually do not use them.

Yeah, the car came with this intake on it, so i don't have the original...
These are new plugs, but at this point, i'll keep it all in mind. Thanks for the help!

bah, great.. now the engine light is freakin' FLASHING after only a few minutes of driving... I swear if the plug wires don't fix this (which it's sounding like this car has more problems than the wires) i'm gonna go crazy. It only has 52k miles :(

Besides replacing the spark plugs, wires, and coils; the maf might be screwed up. I would not run that car too long with the check engine light on. This might cause a larger and more expensive problem.

Besides replacing the spark plugs, wires, and coils; the maf might be screwed up. I would not run that car too long with the check engine light on. This might cause a larger and more expensive problem.

Yeah, I agree with both statements.

Now i'm freaked out, today it started running so poor, it sounds like a boat motor. It is now parked... I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the shop.. freakin' a.....

I just had the same issue. After paying $250 to the mechanic I found out it was the plug wires.
I could kick myself for having to pay some one to point out something so simple but mine started doing it when I was 12 hours from home and it just so happened to do it right after I went through a car wash with an under body was. I thought I sucked water into the motor and was screwed.

Try the wires and see what happens.

STILL waiting for the wires from sparkplug.com.... i wonder what the deal is? it has been over two weeks...

anyway, as an overall update, i made an appointment with the dealership for tomorrow. the engine light is flashing, and the motor was running rough this morning. It was running really rough, and was underpowered. Interestingly, after about 5 minutes of driving, it seems like a switch was hit and it ran perfectly. What the heck? Same thing happened on the drive home... I'm starting to think it's a sensor that is going haywire...

Now i'm looking forward to the huge bill from the dealership, but i have to put up with it. I just don't have time to work on it due to my schedule....

Shop told me today it's the intake manifold gasket.... Yikes....I sure hope they are right, and it's not the MAF or EGR going out, like on everyone else's car....

Last edited:
Hmmm... i think that might be my problem too...
Does your car kinda bog/sputter when you first turn it on. Or when you press the gas the car doesn't respond? Then after a while of driving it runs ok?

If so then i need to check my intake manifold... You could always check it yourself (which i haven't done yet) by starting the engine and popping the hood. Find the throttle cable and fidle with it while spraying some carbon cleaner around the intake manifold. Not sure if it works since i haven't tried it yet but if there is a big leak then some of it should get sucked in and you will know cuz the engine going act funny... Atleast that's what i read.

Back to the thread...
Anyone here done the Nology conversion? Im looking for some wires that are just as good and doesn't require me to remount the coil packs to the stock location. Tried the 1.8L wires but they don't reach and they don't fit in the 2.0 coil packs. Tried the do-it-yourself MSD's but they don't fit in the 2.0 coil packs either.

Still no wires? Mine took like 3 or 4 business days. Call & check your order number with them. Bet something didn't go thru or not in stock or somethin.

Still no wires? Mine took like 3 or 4 business days. Call & check your order number with them. Bet something didn't go thru or not in stock or somethin.

They called and left me a message a few days ago. Apparently they are out of stock and they are on backorder. A fresh shipment from Japan will arrive in the middle/end of june. Lame(eekfu)

well, they replaced the intake gasket and fuel injector gaskets (o-rings)....530 bucks in labor... ugh...

I need to pester the fiance' about that house/garage i am wanting, haha... I will pick up the car this afternoon and let you all know how it drives...

WELL.. it's running better, but not perfect.. they are saying i need to switch to a stock intake because of the hole rubbed into it (it is temporarily fixed)...anyone up my way want to sell my their old intake?

Yeah sucks on the wires. That shoulda popped up somewhere when you were placing order...

Yeah.... I wish those wires were on, just to make me feel better... I could put on another aftermarket intake, but I don't know... Do you guys have problems with yours rubbing on the master cylinder?

I've wrestled it a bit. Trimmed the coupler & cocked it to the side a bit when tightening the clamp enough to clear mstr cyl & get good seal too. I actually had a cai that had silicone elbow that cleared better, used to have 1st piece of pipe to maf then a sri piece past that so it made kinda funnel going from 3 at filter to 2.75 maf to 2.5 to TB. Now using aem 2.5 sri on tb so I have mounting tab for valve deal but same funnel deal from there. I still think the oem works best & is better for crappy weather. But I have radiator cover & adp & stuff goin on where I don't want the oem rt now......and drive crazy truck in crappy weather

Last edited:
Back