I guess its better if i post this here: spark plug wires

So no one really notices a difference between the stock intake and the COI? That's crazy....

Back when I had a 02' Saturn SL, the COI made a world of difference.... and the bigger throttle body pushed it even a little further...

I've had cai, sri, oem & different mixes of both. Sound is biggest difference. cai & sri look better underhood but oem actually feels better somehow & much better/safer in foul weather IMO. Just drop a good drop in filter in oem box is probably the best bet functionally.

Thanks for the tip! Now I am hoping someone in the pacific northwest forum will hear my cry for help :D I bet buying a new one from Mazda would be spendy..

i have a stock exhaust...but i think i'm gonna slap it back on. the one recommended by my mechanic is suppose to be great, but also $450! i can live w/o the 4.6hp boast!

UPDATE: the car is still running off and on.. just like it was BEFORE i took it into the shop... The shop called back today and wants 350 FREAKIN' bucks for the stock intake... luckily it sounds like someone near seattle will sell me their old one for much less than that.. Hopefully this will fix it all, but i have a feeling there are some other problems with the car. I will try to post a youtube video of the problem and see what you guys think..

NEW: VIDEO of the problem....

Yeah, it's a crappy video ... BUT... you may be able to notice how crappy it starts running a 1:25 into the video.... i'm not sure if you can tell by the video, but it starts sounding really bad and shaking a lot... I give the throttle of couple of hits and you can hear how bogged down it is.. check it!

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=35653548

Damn repair shop chipped all that paint off of my valve cover:mad:

Any suggestions? The stock intake tubing should be arriving next week... Still, something tells me it is not the intake.....

Hey,
I have had my CAI for over two years with no issues at all. The position the intake puts the MAF can affect the way the car runs, but would not cause what I saw in the video. One thing I noticed is that it only happened after the fan kicked in. Has the intake manifold been taken off? I am wondering if there is a vacuum leak, or a problem with the VTCS.

Putting the stock intake back in is only going to help eliminate variables in finding the true problem. After seeing the video, I am highly doubtful that the wires/MAF are the issue. If there was a problem with though items, it would happen all the time. I am wondering about the vacuum lines and solenoid near the throttle body that need to be strapped to the intake. I have heard that they can be damaged when people try to put on an intake.

Here is some picture of my X3 ebay intake (injen style)
Yes that is an AEM bypass
LucysdigitalMay5th055.jpg

UPDATE:

I received a OEM intake from aznsebass (thanks dude!) this week, and installed it yesterday, as well as the NGK wires (finally)... i also put the old coil packs on, but left the new springs in...

now it runs fine....

WTF?

anyway, thanks to all that tried to help me out! You guys kick ass...

Hey,
I have had my CAI for over two years with no issues at all. The position the intake puts the MAF can affect the way the car runs, but would not cause what I saw in the video. One thing I noticed is that it only happened after the fan kicked in. Has the intake manifold been taken off? I am wondering if there is a vacuum leak, or a problem with the VTCS.

Putting the stock intake back in is only going to help eliminate variables in finding the true problem. After seeing the video, I am highly doubtful that the wires/MAF are the issue. If there was a problem with though items, it would happen all the time. I am wondering about the vacuum lines and solenoid near the throttle body that need to be strapped to the intake. I have heard that they can be damaged when people try to put on an intake.

Here is some picture of my X3 ebay intake (injen style)
Yes that is an AEM bypass
LucysdigitalMay5th055.jpg

yeah, the dealership put a new intake gasket in, yet it still ran the same. they were the ones that suggested the new intake....

i'm gonna look around tomorrow and make sure everything is strapped in tight...

also take it for a drive and make sure it doesn't do it again....

It doesn't make any sense to me that the three things i did *Fixed* the problem...

Back