I got new wheels

Kurt07

Contributor
:
2007 MS3
My wheels and tires came in today at work. I got 17x8 with 50mm offset Sport Edition F10 and 235/45-17 Sumitomo HTR Z III tires. For the price, both the wheels and tires are look great. I like how the wheels look like the ones off the Mazda 3. To me, it gives the car more of a sleeper look. The tires beat out the stock Bridgestones in a test done by tirerack. I know that 17" wheels aren't popular around here, but they look like they belong on the car. Granted they are only 4lbs lighter than stock, but every little bit helps. I am more concerned with performance than looks. Also, I don't know if it is me, but these wheels make the brakes look bigger. I just wish I had more money to spend, I found one other wheel that was 16.5 lbs, but they were out of my budget.

I will take pictures when I get home from work and post them.

Picture time. Yes, I know it needs to be lowered, but I wouldn't be able to get my car in or out of my driveway.

P3260014.jpg

P3260013.jpg

The front brakes look bigger to me
P3260011.jpg

P3260009.jpg

P3260008.jpg

P3260007.jpg

Here is what I noticed on my 45 mile drive home, the ride is smoother and it feels more stable. I did get to play a little on the way home and floored in second. With the old Bridgestones, the traction contol would blink, with the Sumitomo's, the light did not come on. I need to go find a nice twisty road to go try them out on now.

hey thats what i got for track use set up....looks good btw....

Attachments

• ms3~1.jpg
    ms3~1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 232
  • track wheels set up 010~1.jpg
    track wheels set up 010~1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 274
not too bad!! as for the ride feeling smoother, yes it will feel more smoother, there is more sidewall to absorb the bumps instead of just the suspension having to do all the work

Last edited:
Update time. I have about 1000 miles on these tires. I am so impressed with them. The car launches better, brakes better, and handles better. Of course this could be my imagination, but I doubt that. I am real pleased with my desicion of going to a 17" wheel. I do not regret it one bit. I stand by my original thought of this is the size that Mazda should have put on this car. Another thing I like about these wheels is how easy it is to clean them. I can fit my hand inside the wheel. I always hated how I could get the outside of the stock wheels cleaned, but the inside of the wheel look like crap.

My only plan suspension wise is to upgrade the front and rear sway bars. I will not lower the car.

For the price, the Sumitomo's are a great deal.

Just stating the obvious, but some portion of the extra traction is due to the extra 20mm of tire width on your new tires (235 vs. 215 stockers).

Also curious if either of you have had any issues with rubbing on the rear fenders.

Just stating the obvious, but some portion of the extra traction is due to the extra 20mm of tire width on your new tires (235 vs. 215 stockers).

Also curious if either of you have had any issues with rubbing on the rear fenders.

I know about the obvious, but you can always have wider tires that don't grip worth a crap.

There are no rubbing issues whatsoever.

sumis

I know about the obvious, but you can always have wider tires that don't grip worth a crap.

There are no rubbing issues whatsoever.

I have had very good experience with this tire on other cars. I will try something different this time. Good choice on wheel and tire. You need to fix your driveway asap!

I can't fix my driveway. The township would not like me extending it futher into the road.

Wanted to know what kind of wheels are those? What offset, how much do they weigh and how much did u pay for them? Where did u get them?

I posted the size in my first post.

I got everything from TireRack.

My total cost for wheels, tires, and TPMS was under $1200.

Picture time. Yes, I know it needs to be lowered, but I wouldn't be able to get my car in or out of my driveway.

P3260014.jpg

P3260013.jpg

The front brakes look bigger to me
P3260011.jpg

P3260009.jpg

P3260008.jpg

P3260007.jpg

Here is what I noticed on my 45 mile drive home, the ride is smoother and it feels more stable. I did get to play a little on the way home and floored in second. With the old Bridgestones, the traction contol would blink, with the Sumitomo's, the light did not come on. I need to go find a nice twisty road to go try them out on now.

They look very similar to my 17: Kazera KZ-R winter wheels...

DSC01612.jpg

very nice looking wheels. glad you are happy with your purchase. I hate cleaning the stock wheels too.

I'm interested in Getting these wheels for myself however in the 18" size. They have a 50mm offset and are 18x8, does anyone know if these will fit with say a 235/40/18 tire?

Back