I can't make up my mind.

dp-r

Hello everyone. I have been browsing the forums for like 2 months now and I have learned a lot by reading your threads and I have lost some IQ points for reading some stupid s*** too, LOL!

Anyway, I'm about to get a speed3 but men those smoking exhausts and those bad turbo seals sure have me think it over. I mean take a look at that other post of the speed6 and the oil puddles on the intake track, WTF!!!
I mean, sure it has a warranty but who wants to deal with that? What happens to those like me that keep cars for years and years when the warranty runs out and the CEL start lighting because of damaged O2 sensors and clogged converters (not to mention the cost of repairing the turbo)?

Looks like a lot of trouble for me. Did I mentioned that I have test drove it 3 times and I LOVE the car. Hum....should I or should I not?

do it! worry about the problems when they come. if they do every cars different

If you go get one, let it idle for a while to see if you experience any of the smoking. I heard that there was a "bad batch" of turbos in some of the '07s. My friend has one, and I do not.

Ultimately, I agree with the post above mine.

I am in the same boat as you, I loved the car on the 2 test rides but reading this forum scares the crap out of me. My dealer is getting pissed at me for leaving them hanging for so long while I am making my decision.

If you guys really cant make up your minds, then post a poll.

Do you still enjoy your MS3?
1) YES
2) NO (post why not)

Just get a Caliber SRT-4.
mj.gif

Beaviss: I have 3 dealers calling me every single day. I don't care, let them wait 'till I'm ready....

Mid Life Crisis: I think that is a good one. Let's see who responds.

dommo_g: I would never, never, EVER buy a caliber and that is MY OPINION.

Why don't you buy the MS3 along with the longest Mazda extended warranty available and just don't mod anything, performance wise? There aren't a lot of choices in the price range of the MS3.

You could always save up for an M3. Unfortunately, turboed vehicles are always going to run the risk of reliability issues, as compared to a well-made naturally aspirated engine. Not to say that you will have problems, just that you increase your chances with that kind of engine.

I've had my 2008 Sunlight Silver MS3 for about a month now, and I've logged 1600 miles on it.

I have had NO problems what so ever, and its been the most fun in a car I've ever had. It is also my first new car.

I changed the oil to mobil 1 synthetic at 1300 miles, and the change over has made a NOTICEABLE difference in the cold mornings.

All in all, I would buy again.

EDIT: I also do not have any creaks or squeaks. When I first get going on a cold morning, the suspension is stiff, but thats to be expected.

Hummmm.....I wonder if the 2008.5 would have the turbo seals issue corrected? I like the gray interior trim pieces better than the black ones but I am willing to overlook that if the smoking issue ifs finally fixed.

to the post about this forum scaring you into not wanting one, this is what i have learned about forums...

the only people on forums usually found the website cause they have a problem

or they are adding performance mods which in tun effect reliability.

so all in all there is alot more people with MS3's that have zero issues, forums are just a stock pile of problems, GRANTED there are also post that help you make your car faster or better in any way you want it. so you have to take the negative posts with a grain of salt

There's always option 3: Get a loaded Mz3 GTS hatch...

Yeah, you give up the turbo power, but you save money in the long run and avoid potential engine issues wolverine_man mentioned.

Would I buy again, without a doubt. I have had mine for about five months and have around 8k miles on the odo. My only mods are the MazdaSpeed CAI and the shifter bushings. Not one mechanic issue has come up whatsoever and honestly I love the car more and more all the time.

I agree about how most (if not all) of the people with these issues are mainly because of the modding. My car is an 08 model and most of the recall issues were taking care of by then.

My vote: YES.

There's always option 3: Get a loaded Mz3 GTS hatch...

Yeah, you give up the turbo power, but you save money in the long run and avoid potential engine issues wolverine_man mentioned.

Give up the turbo power? That IS the reason I'm buying this car.

.....on a side note: I negotiated a '08 GT down to $23,417.00 (285 over invoice + $635 destination charge) only to be met with $899.60 in dealer fees !!!!!! (idhitit)

Last edited:
Would I buy my car again? No, only because I now want the grey one coming out in 2008.5 ;-)

Other than that, I love it. How many cars can go this quick, hold a 46" LCD TV in it's box (true story) and be around the $25k range? Cut, print, ship. Go get one. :)

Would I buy my car again? No, only because I now want the grey one coming out in 2008.5 ;-)

Other than that, I love it. How many cars can go this quick, hold a 46" LCD TV in it's box (true story) and be around the $25k range? Cut, print, ship. Go get one. :)

One thing to bear in mind might be, to not buy first year of a model run design errors occur and anything serious would be dealt with by now(I hope) I love mine 14,500(NO winter) and really couldn't wait any longer for 05/07. If you want real performance this might be the car for you.

I figure that the 2008.5 have all the issues fixed, since it's very far into the model year. I also hope they incorporated the door/lock break-in fix. I was on the fence, too, but it seems like 2008 owners had less to say about the smoking issues, so it seems to be true that it was just a bad batch of turbos. Since they acknowledged it, the new models in production now should be okay.

Back